ACOK Reread - Arya

Barba

Arya I {VI}

Introduced: Lommy Greenhands* (an orphan boy bound for the Wall; slain by Ser Gregor's men);

Hot Pie (another orphan boy, later a cook in Harrenhal, then runaway with Arya).

Arya is with Yoren and his recruits bound for the Wall, most of them criminals and orphans. Yoren cut her hair, told her to pretend to be a boy, and named her Arry. Hot Pie and Lommy Greenhands mock her and her sword, and she finally loses control and attacks Hot Pie. After beating him senseless, Yoren drags her off and whips her. He then tells her that Lord Eddard was supposed to take the black. Before leaving King’s Landing, a man came to him with a boy (obviously Gendry), some gold and a message that Lord Eddard was to take the black (Yoren does not reveal who the message was from nor whom the messenger was). That is why Yoren was waiting there near Arya, but something went wrong and Eddard was killed. Gendry calls the comet "the Red Sword", and Arya thinks of it as her father’s sword Ice with the tail her father’s blood.

We find another demonstration of Arya's temper. She loses it and almost kills Hot Pie here.

In AGOT she loses her temper with Joff; also in the court. Also when Ned awakens from his being wounded by Jaime's ambush in the street of King's Landing, he asks about his daughters. Alyn, the new capt of his Guard says about Arya,

"She has not said a word since they brought you back. She is a fierce little thing, my lord. I have never seen such anger in a girl."

I cant wait for Arya to re-emerge in Westeros after her training. She'll be kicking butt.

So, in the very first chapter we get general Idea of what will be going on with arya in the next book and a half: She is trying to go home, and yearns for happier moments from her childhood. We also see her temper that can get seriously out of control.

Also, what I find interesting is the fact that there is no feeling sorry for the people she kills. Not with the boy, nor with anyone later.

We see the product of her training (fighting style) for the first time.

In Arya's defense, she was still grieving her father when she attacked Hot Pie. She was basically taking out all of her grief on him. That said, all of these events are shaping her character into an unfeeling, uncaring psycho.

Best character name: Hot Pie.

Also, what I find interesting is the fact that there is no feeling sorry for the people she kills. Not with the boy, nor with anyone later.

That captures a feeling I have about her. It is a bit strange. She is the judge and jury and when she finds someone is wrong she also deals out the punishment and feels justified. Hm-m-m. Lord Eddard didn't feel like this or teach this to his children. He never felt good about comdemning a person to die but when he did, he felt obligated to be the executioner.

Arya (II) {VII}

Introduced: Jaqen H’ghar (Lorathi prisoner from the black cells of King’s Landing, then bound for the Wall, possibly an assassin of the Faceless Men);

Rorge* (criminal from the black cells bound for the Wall, missing his nose; later in service to Lord Vargo Hoat; then turns outlaw, leading the raid on Saltpans wearing Sandor Clegane's Hound's-head helm; slain by Brienne of Tarth);

Biter* (criminal from the black cells, a mute with sharpened teeth, later in with Rorge; killed by Gendry);

Praed*, Reysen* (recruits bound for the Wall; died fighting Ser Amory Lorch's men);

Cutjack, Tarber (recruits bound for the Wall, later run off on their own);

Dobber*, Kurz* and Koss* (criminals bound for the Wall; died in Ser Amory Lorch's attack).

Yoren and his recruits continue north nearing the God’s Eye. They stop at an inn, and Arya learns that the wolves in the area have grown bolder, and there is a great pack of hundreds of wolves led by a she-wolf. Arya thinks of Nymeria, and wonders if her direwolf hates her. Arya leaves the inn and is accosted by the 3 criminals chained in the wagon. The Lorathi, who names himself Jaqen H’ghar, asks her to get him more ale. She notices that the way he talks is similar to Syrio. The other two also start banging for more ale. Biter then lunges at her, but she hits him in the face with her wooden sword. Gendry tells her later that Yoren warned them not to go near those three, but Arya is not afraid. Arya challenges him to a fight, but they are interrupted by Gold Cloaks arriving at the inn, and Arya pulls Gendry down behind a hedge.

The officer says he has a warrant from the Queen for a certain boy, but Yoren tells him to be gone, that these men are all bound for the Wall. When the officer draws his sword, Yoren warns him he has 30 men to the gold cloaks five. The recruits then begin to pick up weapons, but Arya doesn’t want anyone dying for her. She reveals herself saying she’s the one they want, but the officer points behind her at Gendry, stating he’s the one they want. Yoren then puts his sword at the throat of the officer and tells them to leave. The gold cloaks depart, but the officer tells Yoren to hurry to the Wall, or they’ll have his head along with the bastard boy’s. Arya doesn’t understand why the Queen wants Gendry, and neither does he. Yoren tells them that from now on if they encounter gold cloaks, the two of them are to ride with all haste to the Wall...

I like the way the new NW recruits band together to stand up to the Gold Cloaks. You would think that the former criminals would want to see Yoren die so that they could escape their fate. Apparently, they see the NW as a chance for them to do something important with their lives.

I was wondering why didn't Arya noticed similarities between Grendy and Robert. Then I remembered that Robert was very fat. Now, when I remember how Brienne reacted when she saw Grendy (she saw Renly look alike) I wonder did Arya ever saw Renly? And, if similarities were as obvious as Brienne says, how come arya didn't use that old Syrio's saying:"think like a PC" and figure things out

When Renly first shows up near the Trident, Arya is off practicing her sword fighting with Micah. Arya sees Renly briefly at the trial, but Renly leaves early because he's laughing so hard. After the trial, the Starks moved out well ahead of the main column. So, Arya never saw very much of Renly. Brienne, OTOH, was in love with Renly. Certainly, Gendry's resemblence to Renly would have been much more obvious to her.

Arya III {VIII}

Introduced: Murch* (recruit bound for the Wall).

Gendry is telling the others that he doesn't know why the Queen wants him. All he knows is that one day Master Mott came to him and told him he was to join the Night’s Watch. Yoren has decided to avoid the Kingsroad and they travel along the western shore of the God’s Eye. They then come upon a holdfast that was burning the night before. They find a little girl and her badly injured mother as the only survivors. Later at night, Arya goes off to make water where no one will notice, and she is surprised by a wolf. The wolf stares at her, but then bounds off into the woods. She goes to tell Yoren of the wolves in the forest, and the old man tells her he has been bringing men to the Wall for 30 years, always by the Kingsroad, but he should have taken ship this time.

I love the horror-feeling this chapter gives to the reader at the end when Arya talks to Yoren. She is so brave, but she is afraid, then Yoren says "smart man would use ship this time", then after she goes to sleep with hearing wolves howling and screams. :bawl:

“Him in his tree, let’s see how well he likes it up there when the Others come to take him. He’ll scream for the Watch then, that he will.â€
This is probably empty-talk, but it made me wonder...

While Yoren is talking to Arya, he is chewing sourleaf, and his spit turned red. It reminded me of Bennis the Brownshield from TSS.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya (IV) {IX}

Introduced: Woth*, Qyle*, Gerren*, Urreg* (recruits bound for the Wall; killed by Ser Amory Lorch's force);

Ser Amory Lorch* (knight sworn to Casterly Rock, commander of Lord Tywin’s foragers; briefly Castellan of Harrenhal; fed to Vargo Hoat's bear).

Yoren’s band has come upon a burned-out holdfast, and searches it for boats, finding nothing. Yoren decides to camp for the night secure behind the walls. That night, Arya awakens to a wolf howling, and then wakes the others in warning. Outside the walls, Ser Amory Lorch’s men are demanding that the gates be opened in the name of the King. He accuses them of being in league with Lord Beric Dondarrion, and do not believe Yoren when he tells them they are members of the Night’s Watch and take no part in any wars. Ser Amory has his men fire the houses and then begin scaling the walls. Many from both sides die, and when all seems lost, Yoren tells Arya to escape through a hidden tunnel in the barn. Arya takes the little girl (whose mother died) with her and follows Hot Pie, Gendry and the injured Lommy into the tunnel. At the last minute, as the fires rage in the barn, Arya decides to save the 3 criminals chained in the wagon by throwing Rorge an axe. Arya then flees through the tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya (V) {X}

Introduced: Weasel (a girl found by Yoren’s band, later runs off and is never seen again).

Arya and Gendry had returned to the holdfast and found Yoren dead, and met up with a few recruits who were still in the tower. They are now living off the land, nearly starving as they head north along the east shore of the God’s Eye. After Kurz dies from an infection, Tarber and Cutjack run off, leaving Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie and the now orphaned girl Weasel to carry the injured Lommy. When they spy a village up ahead, Hot Pie and Lommy suggest they yield, but Arya and Gendry go off to investigate. Alone, Gendry tells Arya that he knows she is a girl, and Arya cannot trick him any further, revealing herself as Arya Stark. Gendry then gets captured, and Arya goes back to get help. Hot Pie goes with her, but he yields immediately, and they both get caught. The camp they get locked in has several dead bodies hung outside, and is the camp of Ser Gregor Clegane. The Mountain’s men force her to reveal their hiding place. When they get there Weasel is gone, but Lommy is killed because none of the men intend to carry him.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya VI {XI}

Introduced: The Tickler* (an interrogator working under Ser Gregor Clegane; killed by Arya Stark);

Chiswyck* (one of Ser Gregor’s men; slain by Jaqen H'ghar at Arya's request);

Polliver* (man-at-arms under Ser Gregor, possesses Arya’s sword ‘Needle’ for a time; slain by Sandor Clegane);

Dunsen (soldier under Ser Gregor Clegane);

Rafford (called Raff the Sweetling, a soldier under Ser Gregor);

Goodwife Amabel, Goodwife Harra* (servants of Lord Tywin at Harrenhal; possibly served Lady Shella Whent previously);

Weese* (understeward of the Wailing Tower at Harrenhal; killed by Jaqen H'ghar after Arya names him as one of her targets).

Arya is among several prisoners being led to Harrenhal to serve as slave labor. Ser Gregor’s interrogator questions all the prisoners over and over if they knew of Lord Beric Dondarrion’s whereabouts and intentions. Several are killed. Arya first begins to make her roll call of the names of those she wishes dead. When they reach Harrenhal, Hot Pie is fearful because the great castle is said to be haunted. Arya tells the goodwives her name is Weasel, but when they command her to work in the kitchens, she mouths off and gets slapped. They send her to work under Weese in the Wailing Tower.

It's the pain. No one likes the pain. And they were questioning weak people, who can't handle it quite good.

EDIT: Thoughts: I think that this chapter is one of the most important in development of Arya's character. It is filled with Fear. It is no coincidence how it starts ("Fear cuts deeper than swords") and ends ("When I sniff you all I want to smell is fear").

Arya (VII) {XII}

Introduced: Pia (servant girl at Harrenhal, later taken in by Jaime);

Vargo Hoat* (sellsword captain from Qohor in the service of Lord Tywin, called the Goat, lord of the Brave Companions [aka the Bloody Mummers], later joins the service of Lord Bolton and is granted Harrenhal; killed by Ser Gregor Clegane at the command of Lord Tywin).

Arya wonders what King Harren had meant to name the five towers of Harrenhal, but they were now known as the Tower of Dread, the Widow’s Tower, the Wailing Tower, the Tower of Ghosts, and Kingspyre Tower. Hot Pie was assigned to the kitchens, and Gendry to the forge, but Arya worked for the understeward running chores. Arya hates Weese and adds him to her list of names. She overhears a serving girl of Lord Tywin’s maester talk of a letter that the Lord ordered burnt declaring that Joffrey was not King Robert’s true son, and that Lord Tywin commanded that such filth should not be spread. Arya later sees the Bloody Mummers enter Harrenhal for the first time, and notes their odd dress and mounts, and their slobbering leader Vargo Hoat. Arya learns that Roose Bolton may attempt to cross the Ruby Ford of the Trident, and that her brother’s army was nearby at Riverrun. She also knows of captives from Lord Bolton’s host, but doesn’t know any of them save Lord Cerwyn, who dies before Arya can speak to him. Two Freys came to ransom their three brothers and bastard brother, but no one came for the other captives.

Arya later hears that Lord Tywin sent Ser Gregor and Vargo Hoat to destroy Roose Bolton’s host. Eventually, Ser Amory Lorch arrives at Harrenhal, and amongst his men, Arya spots Rorge, Biter and Jaqen H’ghar. That night as Arya is asleep, Jaqen comes to her, and promises her three lives in exchange for the three the Red God lost when Arya saved them from the fire. Jaqen tells her, "Say the names, and a man will do the rest." Arya is unsure if she can trust Jaqen, but one night she hears one of Ser Gregor’s men, Chiswyck, tell the others a horrifying tale of gang rape of a young tavern girl at the hands of Ser Gregor and his men, and they all laugh at the story. Arya then whispers Chiswyck’s name to Jaqen the next night at dinner, and three days later she learns that Chiswyck fell from a tower and broke his neck, and some of the servants believe it was a ghost. But Arya knows she is the ghost in Harrenhal, and she scratches one name off her list.

• 2 weeks later...
There has been a lot of debate about Arya's three kills, but after hearing that story, why choose Chiswick instead of the Mountain?
It was because of the moment, I thikn. Chyswick was telling the story, and was the loudest while they were laughting. Not to forget, he was the fourth one to rape the girl, and said that he wouldn't mind if she struggled a little. Later on, anyway, Arya regrets her kills and asks Jaqen to free northmen.

Thoughts:

Upper floors of Wailing tower had not been occupied for 80 years. I wonder weather we will see Harenhall in D&E stories

Vargo Hotah has Black&White horse. Maybe he is Faceless man :)

Archived