[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Perhaps Ned didn't confront Jaime in the throne room?

Anomandaris86

This is something I just thought of. When Ned and Jaime have their conversation at the beginning of episode 3, Jaime says, "It must be strange being in this room." And right after that I was sure he would talk about their encounter there right after the Mad King was slain, but instead he talks about Ned's father and brother being killed. Furthermore, the way he says it suggests that that event is obviously what they both would be thinking about. But I think it's obvious that if Ned had confronted Jaime there during the Sack of King's Landing as it happened in the books, that would be the first thing they would both be reminded of if they confronted each other there again when Ned arrived as King's Hand. Don't you agree?

So do you think that that event didn't happen in the show?

Compared to the book, they've barely told us anything about the Rebellion, and I hope they fix that soon. There are some people on the TWoP noobs thread who think that the Lannisters fought for the Mad King and then switched over at the last minute. We also haven't gotten anything about the Targaryen children being killed, which is important on multiple levels. These details are important and I'll be disappointed if they don't incorporate them somehow into the season.

Well I guess that settles that then.

With that in mind I do think that throne room scene is a little odd then. Perhaps if they had worded it differently...

The can't show every part of Martin's writing like in the books, so with like other things they have melded the two in what comes out in the other original scenes of show.

Viserys in bath tub banging that chick never happened in the books, but it was Tyrion's dialogue from the book's used to get across information that would help out the viewers of the show.

I think it's one of the reasons that Ned brushes Jaime off so completely in that scene. He remembers not only that his bro and dad died, but also he remembers Jaime sitting there on the throne with an arrogant smirk on his face. And Jaime is defensive, because he remembers the cold look Ned gave him when he rode in...

So yeah it's an echo of the earlier scene, IMO, and was definitely intended as such by the show-runners.

Archived