{Book Spoilers} Flashbacks 86'ed?

Wood of the Morning

I've been looking, though very passively, about any information about the producer team deciding to axe flashbacks as a whole.

Obviously a flashback can be inserted at any part of the story (granted if its early enough). I know the TOJ is a board favorite around these parts. I also know that at some point a scene was filmed and cut, if memory serves me the Mad King could be briefly seen in the background. But I'm assuming with Ned dead and gone, Sean Bean moved on, the possibility of that particular part being included is slim to none.

So as we move forward should we expect not to see any similar plot points in history? I, for one, would love to see the stand-off against the Kingswood Brotherhood though it is of little plot import.

durka durka.

I think we'll see a flashback when Bran

Spoiler
sees his father through the Weirwood, and back to the exectution of whoever it

was that was killed in the godswood, and of Lyanna and Ned fighting in the

kingswood as children.

other than that... probably only through dailouge will we hear about the Westros of old.

Someone on these boards posted that the producers said there would be no flashbacks, but didn't provide a source and I'm not sure they ever said that. But the show seems to be trying not to do any flashbacks at all. TOJ will likely never be featured on the show; Sean Bean is gone and even if he came back for that scene, there's no logical place to introduce it that would make any sense.

I think there will likely not be any flashbacks in season 2. If there any, they would have to be of plot importance--death of Rhaenys and Aegon--that would be difficult to explain in dialog without sounding entirely clunky. I have mixed feelings about the use of flashbacks on this show. With only ten episodes adn so many characters and locations, flashbacks to me would seem to take time away from the present. And generally I don't like flashbacks on shows at all, unless they're handled very carefully. But with GoT, there is a ton of important backstory that flashbacks could help explain; I'd prefer them to some of the really clunky dialog they used in season one.

Archived