What doesn't Jon know....

LilyFlower

I'm just in the middle of SoS, just finished the second Sansa chapter, and am a little confused about Ygritte's meaning behind the "The Last of the Giants" song. When the whole band of wildlings finish the song and Jon notices Ygritte's crying, what did she mean by saying "You no nothing Jon Snow." I understand why she says it other times... because there really is a lot he doesn't know. But what was she crying about?

I don't think its says anything of the conditions of giants. It's not explained really (that I remember anyway!). So there are no spoilers. Its one of those countless mysteries Martin keeps giving us, ha!

Personally I believe its GRRM's way of showing us through a differing medium how the Old ways are dying even if they are still simply the 'ways', beyond the wall. Another potential theory is that because of the Others return then those around them are slowly dying off. The white walkers symbolise death. What would be more deathly than a species becoming extinct through their mere awakened presence.

Archived