Mafia Game 79 - Game of Thrones Finale Party!

House Targaryen

Bah. The thing that I'm getting hung up on is that Dany looked like a decent symp candidate for Varys. I mean, sure Dany voted Varys on day 1, but it was a vote without rationale and was unlikely to lead to a Varys lynch mob. I would think if Varys was evil then his partner would have to at least consider the possibility that Dany was the symp and therefore not a good night kill.

On the other hand, it's pretty difficult to conceive of there not being a finder in this game, so despite his survival the lack of counterclaim makes Baelish look pretty solid. It's possible that we just have no living finders or that they decided not to counterclaim for some reason, but it's unlikely.

What's a vig? Anyway, whatever it is, I'm not.

You are a vigilante. The mods have given you the worst possible role. You may attempt to kill one player at night. You should do this by sending the mods a PM with the name of that player. If they are not somehow protected by another role, and you are not guarded, they will be killed at the start of the following day. If you are prevented from acting by a guard, you may try again another night. Otherwise, once you have tried to kill a player you have no further powers or abilities.

Moving on to Varys' posts. Not sure all of these will be useful, but I've tried to quote most of the times that he says something noteworthy about one of our potential Varys partners. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we're going to end up with a lot of 'WIFOM possible distancing' analysis. But at the very least, I want to get all of this information in one place.

The undoubted sparsity of evidence at this point in the game hardly justifies this defensiveness against a pretty innocuous comment Drogo.

The tone seems upset and defensive to me, though it's barely anything else than a day one page 2 hunch. So the pot calls the kettle black, I guess :P

First, we've got an early vote on Drogo, along with a bit of extra explanation in the 2nd post. This is his first serious vote in the game. Probably doesn't mean much.

Your own daughter?! Tut tut. I find the picture you paint of Sansa slightly self-serving. She sits back, removed from the action, awaiting an opening which might allow her to strike against us rather than, she's busy, or sleeping. Better than random might still be poor play, and your vote seems as opportunistic as you would accuse others of being, searching for a reason rather than coping with a lack of evidence.

I think my vote might flutter back to perch on your shoulder Eddard Stark.

Sansa's removal of the vote in itself might be suspicious, but the rest of Eddard's case is made up. He can't know if Sansa went to sleep, to work or when she'll return. He's characterizing her as lurking, though. I find this suspicious, as it's unnecessarily seasoning a day one case to make it look more substantial. Day one cases don't really have to be substantial, but it's a tell to try and make them so to appear more active, inquisitive, helpful or what-have-you.

Later he shifts his focus to Eddard, in the above quotes.

Ser Jaime Lannister and Khal Drogo also seem silent, when they're usually vociferous. May-hap our courtly talk suits them less well than the cries of the battlefield? Cry out then! In this battlefield of words it oft helps to be loud!

And he asks Jaime and Drogo to speak up.

Ser Jorah Mormont might need a deeper look. A slaver once and a traitor after. His posts do seem slightly superficial, though a lack of time might seem that way as much as a lack of commitment.

I would like to know your thoughts on Eddard Stark. I made my case, and, if only to politely disagree with it if that is your feeling, I would hear your comment and that of the Lady Cersei.

Mentions Jorah for the first time. Slightly negative opinion, but nothing that would diminish the chances of a partnership.

At your request, I'll post some tiers:

Tier 1: Eddard, Jorah

-----------------------------------------------------

Tier 2: Petyr, Tyrion

Tier 3: Jaime, Renly, Ros, Syrio, Daenerys, Sansa, Khal Drogo

Tier 4: Arya, Cersei

I hope some more contribution might allow me to juggle them around, though. A re-read on Jorah and his reaction to Daenerys' accusation have bumped him up on my list. Otherwise I don't think it needs much explaining. I'd rather not lynch Daenerys today, if we have a choice, but time seems to be running ever shorter.

Now Jorah is up on tier 1 with Eddard. Interesting to see that all of our suspects to be a potential Varys partner are either on tier 1 (heavy distancing) or tier 3 (more middle of the road approach).

Moving on to day 2 -

You seem to have taken my lady Cersei's post and crafted it into some completely ludicrous and unappealing accusation of Tyrion. Probably to appear original rather than mob-hugging.

I have still some matters to settle with you Lord Eddard Stark.

Varys renews his case against Eddard. At this point, Eddard is the only person who Varys is really going after. All of his other opinions are middle of the road. Even placing Jorah on tier 1 seems somewhat weak, as there's no real case or evidence behind the move.

I mostly agree with it. Syrio and Jorah are two players whose style is similar to Petyr Baelish's. They are content with being the support cast in our little charade rather than taking the centre stage. A busy life might be a part of it, but it's definitely suspicious.

Your case, as it is, could do with more fleshing out, though. It suffers from a slight vagueness and hungers for some quotes. A suspicious style of play is weak evidence, too.

I think the strongest part of it is how disinvested he seems to be in his own posts and opinions. That is definitely a tell.

Syrio, Jorah and yourself, and to a lesser extent Renly and Drogo, are players I want to have a better look at. Time permitting, I will. May-hap my opinion of them will be better formed then.

Calls Syrio and Jorah suspicious for being under the radar. Also says he wants to look at Renly and Drogo, but places them slightly below Syrio and Jorah.

I re-read Jorah myself. I agree with some of what you're saying but I think all in all I think you make a poor point. Jorah is a low poster, but he's not alone in that august company, and though he hasn't been very vociferous about his opinions (as tends to happen with low posters), there's nothing in your case which strikes out as really suspicious, which means you're just talking generalities here. The case is pretty empty. You might want to re-read other players to see if you find anything more concrete. And that's enough coaching for the moment. This is Littlefinger's work!

What I did find suspicious about Jorah in my re-read was his attack on Jaime. He points out how Jaime trusts the strong players and attacks Tyrion (a safe target, and one which would allow him to appear original). This may not be an entirely unfair point, but at the same time he makes it Jorah is dropping his case on Daenerys to attack a player who is apparently a rookie. What is more, he's placing a completely useless first vote on a player with a paragraph long sentence. His own actions are vastly more suspicious than what he's accusing Jaime of!

Attacks Jorah and defends Jaime.

And then he attacks Eddard a bit more, but I won't bother quoting it. After that, Petyr reveals as a Finder.

Summary

The only player Varys really attacks is Eddard. If we believe there are 2 FM and a symp (who may or may not be promotable) we have to ask whether Varys would spend his entire game attacking his partner. Mentat likes to distance a lot, so I do think its possible. But most other players probably wouldn't take that approach, unless they had 3 FM or they knew the symp was promotable.

His second suspect is Jorah. He lists him among his top suspects, but never really goes after him with anything resembling a case. Could definitely be distancing.

He's middle of the road on Syrio, Drogo, and Renly. We often see FM place their partners in this 'tier 2/3 group' of suspects.

He doesn't suspect Jaime, and actually goes so far as to defend him. Not what I'd normally expect from Mentat, but the past few games have had some heavy distancing between FM partners. I guess its possible that he opted to go for the reverse strategy here.

Unfortunately, this post might end up being a waste of time. All it really did was help me categorize how Varys treated the 6 players who I'm considering as potential FM partners. None of them really come out looking better or worse based on this, aside from possibly Jorah, who is in the most likely 'distancing FM' position.

In fact: when I said during the night Petyr should be lynched today, I wasn't completely sincere. I really was at the fence about him, and I didn't want to make any decisions until I'll see night kill. But I said I'd definitely push him today to lower a chance of him being nightkilled if innocent.

Seems I succeded, and I am not happy about this.

After the beginning of the day, I thought a lot and decided Dany was good nightkill if FMs were going for somebody who was likely to be an investigation, to prevent creating a CI but reserving a chance to lynch finder. Dany disliked Petyr, Petyr disliked Dany, it looks like a probable investigation.

So, I tended to like Petyr more. Until he gave us his investigation. Cersei, er? What the hell? Why? Why? Why???

This is an awkwad situation.

The person came up innocent. Do we all want to know who it is?

Don't play with us.

He's going to claim he did either Dany, Cercei or Me. All very bad choices.

Cersei. It is what it is.

Why would you do that? Not the investigating Cersei, which is weird but plausible, but the stupid do you want to know post. You look guilty and I'm tempted to join Sansa at this point in voting you off.

In fact: when I said during the night Petyr should be lynched today, I wasn't completely sincere. I really was at the fence about him, and I didn't want to make any decisions until I'll see night kill. But I said I'd definitely push him today to lower a chance of him being nightkilled if innocent.

Seems I succeded, and I am not happy about this.

After the beginning of the day, I thought a lot and decided Dany was good nightkill if FMs were going for somebody who was likely to be an investigation, to prevent creating a CI but reserving a chance to lynch finder. Dany disliked Petyr, Petyr disliked Dany, it looks like a probable investigation.

So, I tended to like Petyr more. Until he gave us his investigation. Cersei, er? What the hell? Why? Why? Why???

Cersei is a rediculously strong player and I couldn't shake the paranoid suspicion that she was bussing Varys.

Not to muddy the waters, but in the intrest of clarity the find didn't say she was innocent it said she was not a killer.

edit - bussing not bessing

Why would you do that? Not the investigating Cersei, which is weird but plausible, but the stupid do you want to know post. You look guilty and I'm tempted to join Sansa at this point in voting you off.

It's early, I haven't had my coffee and I was thinking about the possible evil ninja.

ETA - Also, I have never been in a game with a finder who has lived past the first day, so this is new to me.

Cersei is a rediculously strong player and I couldn't shake the paranoid suspicion that she was bussing Varys.

She looked unlynchable anyway. She looked as most likely nightikill... after you, if you are innocent, which I doubt for now.

Why in the hell you investigated a person who might be nightkilled, effectively wasting your action?

Archived