[Book spoilers] Will it be on screen?

Franz95

Do you think Balon Greyjoy's death will be on screen in season 3? Could it be a way for us to know how it really went, if Euron had a hand in it (assuming the show producers know more than we do about some details)? Or will it be reported by the Ghost of High Heart as in the book?

I'm sure they'll show his death since it would only be a short scene and would be far more effective to be dramatized on television as opposed to just referenced after the fact like in the books (mostly I assume because of the POV structure that didn't allow for any characters to witness it).

As far as giving the audience clues as to exactly who is behind it, I would bet that it would be left intentionally vague. Most likely, it will be an unseen Faceless man who does the deed so there will still be lots of questions as to who exactly he is and more importantly, who commissioned him.

I don't think his death will be onscreen. There are a lot of theories blaming Euron, but those are just theories, we still don't know what actually happened. So, I think his death will be offscreen, and they'll have Yara find his body, to make it as dramatic as possible without changing the mystery in the book.

But I believe he'll have some added scenes in this season. Patrick Malahide is a great actor, and I'm sure HBO will try to get as much out of him as they can.

probably neither, seems a bit pointless to bring back an actor for one scene, and the audience won't probably remember who he is if they only show hi death, he's better known by his name than by his face, i think. It won't be on high heart either imo, since the show isnt particularly keen on prophecy, they could just have robb and co receiving the news that balon greyjoy is dead and then making their plans, like they did in the books

If they weren't going to show his death onscreen, they wouldn't have made such a big deal out of introducing him in Season 2 and casting a well known actor for the part. As described in the book, his death is screaming to be dramatized for the audience. How confusing would it be for a character in King's Landing or somewhere else to remark offhandedly "Hey remember Balon Greyjoy? Well he fell off a bridge and now he's dead." like they did in the book? They're going to show it.

If they weren't going to show his death onscreen, they wouldn't have made such a big deal out of introducing him in Season 2 and casting a well known actor for the part. As described in the book, his death is screaming to be dramatized for the audience. How confusing would it be for a character in King's Landing or somewhere else to remark offhandedly "Hey remember Balon Greyjoy? Well he fell off a bridge and now he's dead." like they did in the book? They're going to show it.

If they are going to do a storyline with Asha this season then they will. If not then they can do it off screen like in the books. I reckon it will be in GRRM's episode 7 too!

I don't think Balon Greyjoys death will be on screen because I think that would be to much foreshadowing for the television audience. I don't think they would understand what happened.

What's there to understand? Balon falls off a bridge. I don't think anyone will be confused by that. They might leave it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not his fall had any assistance however...

Personally I would love to see his death portrayed, it was kind of lame how he just dies offscreen in the book.

What's there to understand? Balon falls off a bridge. I don't think anyone will be confused by that. They might leave it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not his fall had any assistance however...

Personally I would love to see his death portrayed, it was kind of lame how he just dies offscreen in the book.

It's suggested that the faceless men are behind it so the way they handle his death is important. Mentioning it casually takes away that suggestion. Showing it explicitly makes the suggestion reality. It's one of the tricky things in adapting asoiaf (gravedigger and sfinx in citadel are other examples). "Show, don't tell" is the golden rule of tv but grrm's style is "don't show and sort of tell".

I think they should find a way to show the Greyjoy side of the war (maybe through Asha's POV) and Balon's death would be a pretty big part of it. In fact, one of my few complaints about aSOS is that we didn't get to see anything of the Greyjoys after they were such an important force in aCok, so maybe the show could actually attempt to improve that.

As for the "mysterious" circunstances of his death, they should at least hint the issue of a possible murder. It'd be a good warm up for Euron's arrival in season 5.

There was more to his death then just falling off the bridge and I feel the TV audience wouldn't make the connection with the eventual arrival of Euron. There are people who watch this show (myself def not included) who have a hard time remembering characters and connecting dots on stuff. If you have read the books it's one thing, but a lot of people who watch this show are just regular TV watchers who have never been exposed to the complexity and foreshadowning of ASOIAF. If they do show his death I just don't want it done in a chessy way. It needs to be done very delicately.

Archived