What if Theon didn't conquer Winterfell?

bloodsteel bitterraven

I think Euron heard that Theon was dead and thats why he hired the FM to kill Balon, since he was next in succession. If Theon never took Winterfell, Euron wouldn't have killed Balon or he would have killed both Balon and Theon!

I think the timeline makes that sequence too quick. Euron would have needed more time to arrange it - I always thought he arranged it long before he returned.

I think I agree that Euron would have killed Theon. After Theon and Damphair return to the iron islands, Theon hangs around trying to win his fathers trust. When Balon dies, Theon sits on the throne. Euron arrives and accuses Theon of killing Balon. Theon is killed and Euron has a good story to tell Damphair.

Can someone btw remind me why Robb didnt hold onto the Westerlands he conquered?

Euron definitely would consider Theon a threat to his power. However, if Theon was alive and whole, Victarion, Asha, and Aeron would be supportive of him over Euron, so that would be some protection.

As for why Robb didn't hold on the the parts of the Westerlands he conquered, he never really gave up anything out there (or held on to it). The treachery of the Freys and Boltons, the mutiny of the Karstarks, etc. and finally the Red Wedding all happenned, so he never really got to determine anything regarding the Crag etc.

Can someone btw remind me why Robb didnt hold onto the Westerlands he conquered?

He lacked the manpower to entrench himself deep. Nevertheless, he held onto the Crag (and probably Ashemark) right until after the Red Wedding.

Without Theon taking Winterfell, he could have had another 40,000 men in the Westerlands by the time of the Red Wedding and another 20,000 rebuilding the Riverlands. And that is just from the North and the Riverlands themselves, without exposing any flank to a counterattack.

Didn't have enough men. I also recall something about Robb needing ships to take CR.

The consensus seems to be that Theon not taking WF would make Westeros a better place, but don't forget that his alternative was Reaving the Stony Shore.

Theon's 3rd Chaptor, ACOK:

Of the fishing village, nothing remained but cold ashes that stank when it rained. The men had been put to the sword, all but a handful that Theon had allowed to flee to bring the word to Torrhen's Square. Their wives and daughters had been claimed for salt wives, those who were young enough and fair. The crones and the ugly ones had simply been raped and killed, or taken for thralls if they had useful skills and did not seem likely to cause trouble.

Theon had planned that attack as well, bringing his ships up to the shore in the chill darkness before the dawn and leaping from the prow with a longaxe in his hand to lead his men into the sleeping village. He did not like the taste of any of this, but what choice did he have?

Theon had planned that attack as well, bringing his ships up to the shore in the chill darkness before the dawn and leaping from the prow with a longaxe in his hand to lead his men into the sleeping village. He did not like the taste of any of this, but what choice did he have?

I find two things interesting about this. 1) The fact that Theon feels he has no choice and doesn't enjoy it, which to my mind makes me wonder how enthusiastic he actually was about capturing Winterfell, and 2) the fact that he uses a longaxe, despite the fact that he is naturally an archer, showing that he is changing in order to impress his family. It's a shame he didn't have more backbone to say no to his father, but then again, how could he have? IIRC, all ships except the Iron Fleet were forced to stay in the Iron Islands, so it's not as though he could have left, and furthermore, while he could have sent a raven to Robb or something, we all know that Theon couldn't find his way out of a paper bag, so it's not very likely he could find his way out of his father's clutches.

The reason he was such an asshat in Winterfell was that because absolute power corrupts. He also became paranoid that his position of 'Prince of Winterfell' (right up there with 'Widow's Wail' in Pathetic Titles for Stuff Award) was threatened and this led to an increase in relying on 'Reek', which ultimately bit him in the butt (possibly literally).

I think Euron heard that Theon was dead and thats why he hired the FM to kill Balon, since he was next in succession. If Theon never took Winterfell, Euron wouldn't have killed Balon or he would have killed both Balon and Theon!

That is green lands law. Ironborn choose their king at the kingsmoot.

I think it would have happen at some point but maybe not with Jeyne. I think Robb just wanted to choose who he gets to marry and not marry for political purposes especially if its a Frey girl

He married Jeyne because of her honor's sake, not because he didn't want to marry a Frey girl.

Archived