The Return of Magic to Westeros

Hunter_Rose

I have lately been wondering if the return of magic to Westeros was not from Danerys dragons being born but from the direwolves being found by the Starks. I mean in an interesting way the finding of the direwolves and the birth of the dragons serve as bookends to AGOT but I wonder if magic would have still returned if only the direwolves were found. It's almost as if the direwolves indicate the mental flourishing of magic and the dragons display the physical resurgence of magic. I'm not sure if this is important to the over all work of A Song of Ice and Fire but it does make me wonder. Also as the books progress the themes become more fantastical. I mean AGOT is basically a political thriller set in a feudal age world, then ACOK is more of a military thriller, and then the low fantasy starts to take more and more of a back seat in ASOS and AFFC. I am still waiting for ADOD to come out in mass market paperback but I see it leaning toward higher fantasy. The others march on the realm, the dragons stir in the east, and slowly the tricks and secrets of the first men begin to awaken in the royal families of Westeros.

To me the return of magic was tied tot he return of the Others, after all they were the subject of the series prologue.

After that we get the direwolves and then the dragons. Which might imply that whatever magic the Others are they will be oppose by the magic that brought the direwolves and the magic that brought the dragons. But that's just a guess on my part.

To me the return of magic was tied tot he return of the Others, after all they were the subject of the series prologue.

After that we get the direwolves and then the dragons. Which might imply that whatever magic the Others are they will be oppose by the magic that brought the direwolves and the magic that brought the dragons. But that's just a guess on my part.

I agree. Even in AGOT it isn't that no one has seen a Dire Wolf, it's that they haven't been seen south of the Wall. I think the return of the Others is the first sign that magic has returned to the world. As for what the actual cause was, who knows. Mance digging around for horns? Some Bloodraven/CotF plot? Mel's magic seems to pre-date all of this, so who knows.

Archived