Maester Aemon Targaryen -- last words before dying

RestlessRoamer

If this question has already been discussed, please be so kind to give me a link -- I couldn't find it myself.

A Feast for Crows, Samwell chapter, the passage where the last words of dying Maest Aemon are given -- does anybody know/can explain the details of his rather scattered words?

1. "Stannis has some of the dragon blood in him... Rhaelle, Egg's little girl, she was how they came by it... their father's mother" -- ?

2. "she (Rhaelle, Egg's little girl) used to call me Uncle Maester when she was a little girl. I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope... perhaps I wanted to... we all deceive ourselves when we want to believe" -- deceive/believe in what?

It's all rather vague to me.

Well the guy is dying and somewhat out of it. But him talking about Stannis having dragon blood, if I recall, is Aemon going down the list of possible PtwP candidates . He ultimately settles on Dany because she hatched literal dragons and she, unlike Stannis, is Rhaella and Aerys's line. It's possible that he at first wanted it to be Stannis because he had fond memories of Rhaelle.

Aemon was 103 and had less eyes than Bloodraven (i.e. news get late to the wall if they get at all), so I don't think that his last words have much meaning, but as Apple Martini said he was rambling about Stannis having Targ-blood.

When I first read AFFC I became obsessed with the meaning of 'the sphinx is the riddle not the riddler', but I guess that he started wondering what was really the role that the Citadel was playing in the game of prophecies.

Archived