Chapter by Chapter Analysis (Spoilers)

Jinjoz

Chapter 41 - Jon V - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

Who's is going to graduate! The suspense is killing me! Drum roll please!......... Everyone!..... Except Sam..... Basically Sam is still scared out of his mind when it comes to fighting with a sword. So Allister Thorne calls them all lousy and worthless and hold Sam back which is pretty disappointing to Sam and Jon. So the rest are celebrating cause they are not shocked that he didn't make it. So Sam goes off and silks and Jon tries to go and console him but he gets pulled back into the party.

So there all chatting up about the jobs that they might get and everyone says that Jon will be a Ranger and take his Uncle spot as the First Ranger. Jon is holding onto the thought that Benjen is still alive. Benjen was Jon's inspiration for joining the Nights Watch and for Benjen to be dead really would just suck to be honest. Than it goes through and gives little description of each of the jobs the Nights Watch has. The builders maintain the Wall, the Stewards keep everyone alive, and the Rangers about out beyond The Wall. While everyone in the Nights Watch is a warrior and defender of the Wall, the Rangers are the cream of the crop.

So they head off to a special dinner and Jon pulls off the soul searching look and decides to pass on his dessert and goes off and takes a walk. His mind is really troubled by having Sam stuck in training with new recruits while him and everyone else moves on. On top of this he is really thinking about the weight of the vow he is about to take. So from what it sounds like it seems that at this moment Jon could technically leave the Nights Watch since he hasn't taken the vow. I mean Jon is just wandering off so he is not bound to Castle Black. I don't think that Jon could leave The watch because it would just be a huge blow to his ego for not being tough enough to last through it. He is having this conflict, he is trying to help Sam move on in the Night's Watch and he is trying to commit himself to take the oath.

He finally makes up his mind and goes off to see Maester Aemon, we get a funny description of his stewards. It is said he got the ugliest ones because he is blind and... ya he did. They are pretty grumpy people too. So he wakes up Maester Aemon and he basically says 'look Sam is in no way a ranger or good with a sword. But he can read, write, and take care of the Ravens.' Than we get a pretty standard 'everyone has a place in this world speech' and Maester Aemon says he will consider what Jon has said.

Book Owns

-1 to Allister Thorne for being an 'inspiration to them all

+1 to Jon for caring about Sam and going the extra mile for him

Fav character: I would give it to Jon but all in all he has stayed the same iit seems lately. He is the leader, he is protecting the weak and so on and so on. There hasn't been a real change in his character. Since he has stayed the same even his good actions don't really affect how I view him. So sorry Jon, your just that standard good guy.

Chapter 42 - Tyrion VI - S1 E8

Commentary/Summary

Now we get back to Tyrion and Bronn who have just left the Eyrie and are tracking through the mountains. While Bronn is urging that they ride as far and as hard as a they can Tyrion is not too keen on this idea. Tyrion understands that by trying to get out of the Eyrie there chances to get out at alive is not likely. So he proceeds to gather fire wood and prep to camp. What is interesting is that Bronn in the end begins trusts Tyrion so he goes to hunt something down for dinner.

There relationship is very entertaining and it is kind of like a paid friendship. Bronn took up the job to bring Tyrion to the Eyrie because of the money and he knew if he saved Tyrion than Tyrion would pay him even more. They establish this pretty early. Bronn basically says that he may have saved Tyrion but he doesn't love him and Tyrion says that he doesn't need Bronn love, just his sword.

So they set up camp and Bronn comes back with a goat and they begin to roast it,the smell wafting through the air makes even the reader water. Two things George loves to describe is clothing and food. Bronn Makes a comment on how the fire and the food will most likely attract the Mountain me and Tyrion calmly responds calmly that they will. Tyrion always has a plan. When he went before Lisa he took a gamble but he planned on Bronn fighting for him. Right know I think he is doing the exact same thing, hoping that his plan gets them out of here instead of getting them killed. Now once again here Bronn must trust Tyrion when it comes to this, which shows us how much Bronn cares about money.

Before they doze off its story time with Tyrion about his first love which is a real tragedy. Back in Tyrion young days him and Jamie are off on ride when a women runs out of a house with two men chasing her. Jamie chases off the men while Tyrion comforts the women. He brings her too an Inn, they eat a handful of chickens and by the next morning he was in love. Tyrion hires a drunken septon and they were married. Eventually the septon I formed Tywin Lannister the about the marriage and Tywin had them broken up add Jamie tell the truth. Jamie hired the men and the women was a whore. Tywin than took Tyrion and the whole and gave her to his guards. She was paid a silver for each for each man that took her and Tywin had Tyrion take her last and gave him a golden coin to give to her because Tyrion was worth more than that.

Okay now.... That is pretty dang messed up. Let's think a bourbon this for a minute. So Tyrion has gone his whole life trying to be accepted and failing because of him being a high born dwarf. Someone who demands respect because of his birth right but is low because his crippling state. Tywin used this whole to show Tyrion that he is better than others, mainly with the fact that Tyrion was given a gold piece over a silver. Tywin basically punished Tyrion for going after such a low born person and hoped it would kind of shock Tyrion into living within his own status. Pretty sick and twisted way of doing this but we will find out Tywin has never accepted Tyrion as his son. Tyrion hatred for his father is shown in his dream of him T ask in the place of More and Tywin has the prisoner.

Now it is time for Tyrion to shine. He snoozes off and wakes up to Bronn and a bunch of the different mountain clans surrounding them. Tyrion hasn't such skill here. Keeps it casual with offering them the rest of his goal, and talking with them calmly. He offers them gold to let them live but refuse. Tyrion than notes all their mission matching weapons and armor and offers them armor and weapons and.... The Eyrie. Tyrion has got some balls a me he his kicking some butt here.

Book Owns

+1 to Bronn and Tyrion for establishing their relationship early

+1 to Tyrion for having at least one mourner at his funeral

- 2 to Jamie for setting up the whore thing for Tyrion

-3 to Tywin for what he did to Tyrion

+1 to Tyrion for his sheep comment.

Favorite character, Tyrion. We get a good bit of his background story and he just gambles a lot when it comes to his plans, but he wins. I'll tell you this the one time he fails I know is going to be a scary day.

Chapter 43 - Eddard XI S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

Ned is on the Iron Throne and even with a bandaged up leg he is looking pretty B.A. Let's talk about this throne for just a second. Most people have the image of what it looks like based on the T.V. show which is perfectly fine but A good chunk of people saw the concept art for the throne that was approved by George R.R. Martin and here is a link to it: http://www.wired.com/2013/07/real-iron-throne-hbo-martin/ This Throne is not to be messed around with and it really does make more sense for it to be a huge throne. It is said to be made out of the swords of all those who had opposed Aegon the Conqueror and that was a lot of people. Though I do like in the drawing that it starts out nice with the steps and everything and than the very end it just looks like the blacksmiths were like oh whatever let's just throw the rest of top! Great image and if you read the throne room scenes with that throne in your mind it actually makes a lot more sense.

So Ned is taking the place of the King today because pretty much everyone but him, Littlefinger, and Varys went off hunting. Apparently they spotted a hart, a white dear, and everyone just had to go hunting for it, which really proves that Netflix does not exist in the World of Westeros! So a group of villagers have been brought to Ned with news of Raiding that have been going on in the town of Sherrer by an unmarked army. Tensions has grown very tense between Castlery Rock and Riverrun because of Catelyn taking Tyrion as hostage.

So this is actually a topic that some people are quite passionate about and it deserves recognition. The question, did Catelyn Stark start the war that will soon occur in this book between multiple kings? I personally think she added to it but she was not the sole purpose of the war. The murder of Jon Arryn started this whole thing. That is what leads Ned to Kings Landing, Ned finding out about Jamie and Cersei, the death of Ned, which sparks the North into war, the death of Robert, and so on and so on. Catelyn capturing Tyrion had two big effects. It lead to Jamie attack Ned and it led to Tywin Lannister calling his armies in and creating this tension between him and Riverrun. Any other thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

So Ned listens to the story of these villagers, who address Ned as the king and Ned quickly corrects them. Sad that these people don't even know what their king looks like is what Ned is thinking. Ned doesn't seem to be very comfortable in this position of power but he fulfills it because it is his duty as Hand of the King. So basically these raiders come in and kill and destroy everything in this village but the survivors are discovered and taken to Kings Landing to testify of what happened. Through some pretty dang good detective work these people analysis this army. They had war horses and not just regular work horses. They had good strong armor and weapons and so forth so they conclude that it wasn't just some mountain men. The biggest thing, literally, was the leader of this raiding party and it deduced that it was The Mountain, The Hounds brother. With him being a banner man to Tywin Lannister Ned basically calls him out and is like' all right, the Mountain did something way uncool and he is definitely not living up to his vows as a knights'. So Ned decrees that The Mountain must comet Kings Landing and pay the price of death for what he has done.

While Ned cannot go because of his leg but Loras Tyrell volunteers and Ned looks down on him from the Throne and basically declares him to be too young and volunteering for the wrong reasons. He calls forth Beric Dondarian and Thors of Myr to go forth and bring back the Mountain and dismisses the court. Varys wonders why Ned didn't send Ser Illyn Payne, the King's justice, to do the job and Ned basically says he doesn't trust him.

So question, why is this such a big event? Why is stripping the Mountain of his titles so important that it deserves a whole chapter dedicated to it? Is it mainly to show us that Tywin is on the move when it comes to this war? Let me know your thoughts.

Book Owns

Favorite character: Ned. same reasons as all the other times and yet we don't get tired of it.

If you have an own please submit it I love hearing your input

Book Vs Show

This scene is done very very well and they add in a few things that I feel enhance it so that is a whole lot clearer and more dramatic than the book is. So the people come in and tell Ned what happened. You got Littlefinger stating the obvious on one side and Pycelle denying what has happened on the other. The villagers show that the people who raided their village left a whole bunch of dead fish which Littlefinger points out represents House Tully, Catelyn's house. This gives us a little more clear as to why Tywin ordered these raids. If they can put the blame on Catelyn than the Lannisters are seen as the good people and the Starks as bad, not only helping Tyrion get back but also putting Ned in a bad light. The next big add in which I feel really sent it all home was that Ned declared that Tywin Lannister be summoned to court. The main reason for this scene and chapter is to show that Ned is basically declaring war on the Lannisters and by demanding Tywin come to court it is sending that message in a clearer way than the book did.

Show Owns

+1 to Ned, Than why is Robert King and not Tywin Lannister?

Chapter 44 - Sansa III - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

It's pretty mind blowing that GRRM can write from the perspective of a starry and dreamy eyed young girl. Sansa was so close to having her dreams come true. The hero Ser Loras was almost sent to destroy the beast. The perfect example of a knight in shining armor. But her father destroyed the perfect moment and Lady Sansa is not happy. It is kind of crazy that Sansa is all worried about this but her father was almost killed. Well she is young and all I guess.

Sansa is not allowing her fantasy to be destroyed. Littlefinger tells her that soon she will discover the songs are not true and the real world will bring her sorrow. While it shakes Sansa up a little bit she brushes it off and won't believe him. She wants things to be like fantasy so bad that she justifies her father actions from his damaged leg, and only sees Jamie at fault and non of the other Lannisters.

Sansa and Jayne continue to gossip about a man from the nights watch, eating lemon cakes and gossiping. The next day she sees Beric Dondarian leading his group to go and take Gregor Clegane on her way to breakfast. She meets with Arya in the hall and they talk about who needs to die. While a group of men are sent to kill The Mountain it doesn't seem that anything is being done to catch Jamie Lannister and nothing was done to The Hound when he killed Mycha. Sansa quickly justifies the Hound and Arya is definitely seeing the world as unfair at this moment. Sansa starts getting all prissy towards Arya and so she throws an orange at Sansa and they are sent to their rooms.

Sansa throws a fit, throws her dress In the fireplace and goes to sleep, basically a Saturday night for me. She has a very fading dream of Lady and she slowly disappears. This could be speaking to her 'Stark' fading away from her. Out of all the Starks I would say she is the most different and she is feeling that way now. So she wakes up and goes to her father with Arya and he is just feed pair them fighting so much. Arya does her best make things right by offering those a new dress or to clean the one she stained.

Father than drops the bomb that they are going back to Winterfell and both Arya and Sansa are pretty distraught over this. Sansa says that she conveniently just remembered that she has to stay so she can marry Jeffrey and have his babies! duh! Arya is fine long as Syrio can come with them. Kings Landing is Sansa's life style of choice so in an attempt to understand that it would like moving out of your home town. Hopefully Sansa grows up a bit more in the later books.

Than we get wisdom from the mouth of a babe. Arya basically calls Joffery a coward but she tags on that he is a stag and not a lion, referring to house Baratheon and Lannister's sigil. This causes a light bulb moment for Ned which leads to his discovery that Joffery is only a lion and has no stag in him. We're not in Ned's head so we can't know exactly how he figured this out but all in all were just happy he figured it out.

Book owns
-1 to Sansa for being Prissy
-1 to Sansa for thinking Alyn is better looking than Jory
+1 to Arya for her 'you have juice on your face your grace'
+1 Eddard for finding something his daughters have in common
-1 to Sansa for making fun of Hodor
Favorite character: Arya, for great aim with oranges and trying to make things right with Sansa

Book Vs Show
LIES LIES LIES LIES JOFFERY!
Show Owns
-1 to Sansa for being a real priss to Septa Mordane, even though she is pretty boring

Chapter 45 - Eddard XII - S1 E7

Commentary/Summary

We get to hang out with Ned today! I feel like Ned would be that cool Uncle who makes sure you stay out of trouble. You call him when you first get drunk and he picks you up, drives you home, and than he tells your parents and your like bro! But than 15 years later you understand why and you love him more for it. Start off with Master Pycelle tending to his leg which is healing nicely. News has gotten around that Lord Tywin is not a happy man. He sent a letter to Cersei which contained his anger over Ned sending men to execute The Mountain. We don't know how Cersei reacted to this letter but we have to remember that she is most likely on Tywins side and scheming along with him. Ned is putting on a farce with Pycelle, showing how unaffected he is by the anger of Tywin but truly he is worried.

Ned is currently debating with himself with what eh should do with the information of Cersei and Jamie's affairs. It is becoming clear to him that Jon Arryn was most likely killed because of this information and it makes Ned question what he should do with it. One thing that caught my eye was it was Sansa's words that brought up Joffery's parentage to Ned's mind and not Arya's. Sansa said that Joffery is nothing like that drunken king which I guess makes a little more sense than what Arya said, Joffery is a stag not a lion. Maybe I just like Arya so much more than Sansa that I want Arya to be the solution to everything = )

Littefinger pops in for a visit and let me tell you Ned is an honest and blunt man when he wants to be. How you doing? 'leg is inflamed and an itch that is driving me mad'. Little more info than I needed but at least I know how you are doing. Ned requests a report on the king and it Robert hopes to stay out hunting until Ned and Cersei die of old age, which is understandable. Who wants to have the whole Kingdom on your shoulders. Turns out Robert found the Hart, a white deer, but it was slain and mauled. Robert was pretty ticked off but than he heard talk of a monstrous boar deeper in the woods so he's off to hunt that now. Okay so we all know that Robert is killed by this boar. My question is this, did the Lannisters catch that deer and kill it before Robert did so that he would want to seek after something better than a hart to hunt? Or was it just a happy coincidence for the Lannisters? What do you think? Littlefinger does say that wolves found it but heck... it's Littlefinger you never what side he is on.

Before Littlefinger leaves he spots the tome about the lineage of the great houses and inquires of it. Ned has a quick struggle here and is unsure if he should tell Littlefinger about his discovery. Ned doesn't know where Littlefingers allegiance is and truly neither do we. While Littlefinger did help Ned in hiding Catelyn and getting information for him he also pretty much left Ned in the dust when Jamie attacked him. So Ned is a little unsure and doesn't disclose everything to him but simply says that it was a book Jon Arryn was reading before he died. Littlefinger seemingly just brushes that off with a quip but we are not 100% sure on his loyalties. Better keep an eye on him.

Ned is really having a struggle with this information he has discovered about Jamie and Cersei. At the moment he doesn't fully trust anyone that is not in his retainer, problem being his retainer can't do much when it comes to influencing the kingdom. Littlefingers loyalty is questionable, Varys even more confusing, Pycelle was Cersei's and Barristan is rigid bit would tell Ned to do his duty, which might not be in Ned's best interest. The biggest worry he has is what will Robert think? The nigt before he dreamed of another real event that happened, which is interesting it seems like Ned's dreams are mostly of events that have happened while let's say Bran's dreams are all very... dreamy? ethereal? spooky? I'm not sure what the word is. The dream was when Lord Tywin brought Rhaegar's children before the Iron Throne, dressed in crimson cloaks to hide the blood. Ned's worry is that if he does tell Robert that he will go on a rampage and have not only Cersei killed but his children as well. Do you think that is how Robert would react? What do you think?

Ned than summons for Fat Tom who helps to get to the Godswood and to bring Cersei a letter. Ned is calm in the godswood, he is a very devout man and finds peace with his Gods, something that I feel is a rare thing in this world. I'm trying to think of other main characters who have a devout faith and find vomfort in it... hmmmm Jon to a degree... lot of characters who lose their faith because of all the crazy stuff. But anyways so Cersei comes and meets with Ned in the Godswood. So Ned basically calls her out on sleeping with her brother Jamie and Cersei doesn't deny it but talks to Ned like its any other conversation. Than Ned starts to figure things out.It was Jamie who had pushed Bran out of the window, that all of the children are Jamies, that Cersei had aborted a baby that was there by Robert, and so on. All the pieces are finally clicking in Ned's head and it is just questionable whether this is a smart plan on his part or not. As we learn the main purpose of Ned coming to tell Cersei is so that she can grab her children and leave because Ned is positive that Robert is going to kill all four of them. Ned doesn't want another Mad King situation. Which is funny because really it is Joffery he needs to worry about as he goes on some crazy sprees.

At this point Ned is deep in the 'game' and I think he is biting off more than he can chew when it comes to the overall game. Ned has been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what Jon Arryn was killed for, he has the information and he decides to be merciful with it by telling Cersei he has discovered this. He doesn't threaten her or blackmail her but he warns her that he knows and that he will tell Robert, giving Cersei enough time to flee. Did Ned underestimate the power and influence that Cersei has on this kingdom? Did Ned feel like he was a little more safe since he knew Jamie wasn't around to protect Cersei? It is just sad but I really feel this was one of his biggest mistakes was telling Cersei that he knew of her affair with Jamie. What do you think though?

Book Owns

+1 to Littlefinger for his 'a sleeping potion' quip

+1 to Cersei. this is a rare thing but while it is gross that she sleeps with her brother you have to admit that she is not ashamed of it at all. Ned calls her out and she just tells him and is cool with it.

+1 to Cersei for her epic line with a TITLE DROP!

-2 to Ned. I fee bad but honestly I feel he made a huge mistake when it come to telling Cersei what he knew. I think this was the start of his eventual downfall.

Favorite Character: Cersei. A shocker to be honest! Cersei is usually just vile and real bitchy to be honest. But this chapter really shows her strength of character and while she is sitll considered a bad guy to me I respect her more after this chapter.

Book Vs Show

We get an awesome added scene here whee we get to meet Tywin Lannister and is played by Charles Dance, one of the best casting decisions they have ever made. Jamie is relaying the letter with the orders to bring in The Mountain and fro Tywin to come to court. Thoughout this whole conversation Tywin has a huge deer on a table and he is just going at this thing! He is pulling the entrails out, skinning it down and seems to be enjoying it. I mean this guy is the richest man in all of Westeros and he still skins his own deer, what a man. Now this could be a symbol of Tywin being the mastermind of the downfall of Robert, the lion skinning the stag type of deal, which I feel is really show nin how intense he is when he is going at this deer it is intense. It is very evident that the name of Lannister is very important to Tywin, most of the conversation is dedicated to making sure the name stays a strong one. We get this sort of 'I want to make you proud dad' feeling between him and Jamie and Jamie doesn't want to disappoint him.

The scene between Cersei and Ned, who is coming to warn Cersei, was done decent. They cut to the chase on a few things and it puts certain things on the Eh list. Cersei describes the moment where Robert called her Lyanna on their wedding night and while that was a very impactiful moment in the book the show just made it seemed rushed in a way. Though I will say this, Cersei totally kicked the crap out of Ned in this scene. Ned tells her that he knows of the incest and Cersei just looks at and says... ya... so? What you going to do about it. And when she walks away it is clear that Ned made a mistake and lost that conversation with Cersei.

We get another added scene between Theon, Osha, and Luwin. Osha is out and about working and Theon comes in and starts harassing her around. We get a pretty funny scene where Theon demands to be called Lord and Osha basically asks, well why would I call you Lord? She just doesn't understand that concept and Theon than explains that his father is a Lord and he will be on soon. Osha just says, well so what? What does your fatehr have to do with you being a Lord? This is a great spotlight on the saying that men believe that power resides where they believe power is. Osha is from the wall and see's Theon and all these other people as having no power, just stronger than she is. It is a very survival instinct way of thinking. Luwin comes in and puts Theon in his place and than him and Osha talk about things beyond the Wall.

Show Owns

+1 to Tywin for getting down and dirty!

+1 to Cersei for having the upper hand against Ned

+1 to Master Luwin for owning Theon and putting him in his place

Chapter 46 - Daenerys V - S1 E6
Commentary/Summary
We start this chapter off with a Dances with Wolves moment. Dany has been presented with the heart of a horse so that she can eat it and absorb the life force and strengthen her child. She must eat the whole thing without throwing it up or disgrace will be put upon her and she will be declared as week. She has to do this in a crowd, her hand maidens had helped prep her for this challenge, and there is Kahl Dragon getting turned on by this and having a fierce pride be upon him for Dany. This is a huge physical act that shows that Dany is truly immersing herself within this culture. Drogo no longer looks at Dany a something he bought but as a women that he loves and actually care about.
So all of this chanting is going on and Dany finishes up her dinner and this old lady comes up and is prophesying about this baby. She basically says that this baby is going to be the Kahl that will unite all the Dothraki into one big kahlasar and basically take over the world in a sense. The Stallion that mounts the world is what he will be called. Now we sadly know that this baby will die at birth but we also know that prophecies are fulfilled most of the time. So is this just one of those we can change our destiny type of things are is this prophecy about someone else? Is it possibly talking about Dany? A curious thought.
Dany names the baby Rhaego which is a combo of his brother and Drogo. Which is pretty cool. I think Rhaegar gets a lot of flap because he was such a key role in the reign of the Mad King. Honestly I feel he was a pretty cool dude. But I don't fully know the back story of Rhaegar so I can't judge. So they go down to the river, clean up, have a quickie and than head back for a big celebration. The Dothraki have their own royalty in a sense. The closer you are to the fire and the center of the tent is for those people who have earned it and the maim and weak are at the outer edge. Dany is looking around and realizes that Viserys didn't even come to her Dothraki style baby shower and is curious as to whats up. Jorah informs her that he spends most of his time with the traders that come into Dothrakm as they are his own kind of people. Jorah also informs her that Viserys wishes to steal one of Dany's dragon eggs so he can buy his army and go on without the Dothraki.
This is when we see the blurred line between her and her brothers relationship. On one hand you have the abusive brother who has always told Dany what to do, most likely sexually abused her at one point, and has really treated her like dirt. The other hand is that he is her brother and it was he that kept Dany by his side when they were abandoned across the Narrow Sea. Dany basically says that if Viserys wants the eggs he can have them. Now our instant reaction is, oh Dany must still fear him and all because she is just submitting to what he wants. Than she says that without Visersy she would have died or ended up somewhere worse and she is grateful for at least that part of their lives together. It is one of those things where you truly do love love someone no matter what they do.
And all of this goes right out the window... Viserys pops in the tent and he is flat out drunk and looking for trouble. He got his hands on his sword again which is forbidden in this holy city. So everyone has their eyes on him and is cursing him and not gonna have this. So he goes to Dany and basically wants her back in a sense because Drogo hasn't given him his army. Drogo gets up and tells him he needs to go sit with the rest of the weak. Viserys puts his sword to Dany's belly and that is when Dany realizes that Viserys is no longer her brother. He threatens to kill the baby and steal Dany away and is obsessed with the thought that he is the King of Westeros and deserves better than what he has. Drogo gives some orders in Dothraki and than tells Viserys that he will get his gold crown. And man.... even though Viserys is a freaking twit you have some sympathy for him. He is realived that he will get his crown... so they break is arm, pin him on his knees and Drogo melts his golden belt and than pours the gold on top of Viserys... holy crap! I mean... probably the most B.A. death in the history of all time! So ya... he's dead. One of the first big deaths in series. Lady was the first huge one and I think Viserys would be considered the second. Jory was a good guy but we weren't shocked or distraught over it. The deaths in this book is very interesting. Was anyone shocked by his death? I wasn't but man I did feel bad for the guy.
Book Owns
+1 to Dany for being a boss and eating a horse heart
+1 to Drogo for being proud of his wife.
+1 to Dany for loving Viserys
+1 to Drogo for being so B.A.
-1 to Viserys for threatening Dany's child
+1 to Viserys for sympathy
Favorite character: I'm going to give it to Drogo for this chapter. I just love the scene where he looks at Dany while she is eating that heart and is proud of her.
So I'm going to watch S1 E6 tomorrow hopefully and I'll add in al my show notes and I'll do a new post to tell you which chapters I added too. After that I'll add up all the rankings and see where everyone is at!
Book vs Show
First off, Holy crap! Seriously the next scene pops up and its Dany with this huge fetching heart and she looked pissed and is going to come after you next! Very impressive. So she is eating this heart, which I'm pretty sure is just a really big gummy bear, and Drogo is sitting there looking at her in suspense and you can just see how proud he is of her. Pretty awesome actually. Jorah translates all of the chanting to Viserys and slowly he FINALLY starts to realize that he is at the bottom of the chain and that Dany is becoming more powerful than he is. He understands that the people lover her and are going to follow her and not him. We than get an awesome scene between Jorah and Viserys. It is mentioned in the book that Visrys tried to steal the eggs and Jorah stopped him, and we get this scene in the show. Viserys believes what is hers is his as well but he also understands that he has never had what she has coming for the people. Fear, Love, and wealth and Dany has all of that and Viserys has non of it. Jorah won't let him take the eggs and Viserys eventually drops the eggs and he leaves. The guy who plays Viserys is definitely one of my favorite casting choices. So we get the ending scene and man... Viserys comes in drunk, threatens Drogos grrr. They bust his arm and than poor gold all over him and bam he is dead. I'll say this though I really didn't like Dnay much in this episode. She seemed pretty dead the whole time and just no sympathy for her brother at all. This kind of bugs me because she has sympathy for him up until he threatens her baby. Though I'll say this, probably one of the most epic deaths in the show.
Show Owns
+1 to Dany for haunting my dreams
+1 to Viserys for some sympathy. While he is flippinmg annoying you have to admit, he has been trying to get his 'kingdom' back and he just never knew how to do it. Its sad really
+1 to Jorah for just... I don't know.. his voice. Let's say his voice cause I can't word what I'm thinking
+1 to Viserys for sympathy. Seriously I don't know why but I feel for the dude all of a sudden
-1 to Dany for being dead inside
Favorite Character for Episode 6: Drogo. because in the book when picked up the pot of gold he had to use mittens, but in the show he didn't/ BOOM
Also some cool episode facts!
1. The episode title could refer either too Viserys golden crown or the golden crown (top of the head) of Joffery
2. The fake blood on Emilia Clark had gotten her stuck on the toilet in between takes
3. When Jorah is blocking Viserys path out of the tent he says to him 'and here I stand' Mormont's house motto is 'Here we stand'
4. Make Up Artists did their best to avoid having Viserys look like Legolas
5. Viserys's death scene had to be shot in one take due to damage that would be done to his wardrobe.

Yeah Viserys was horrible but I felt pretty sorry for him especially on top of him being ridiculed by Drogo and the Dothraki. He had looked after Dany for all of those years and I was more than a little disturbed at her lack of sympathy for him at the end.

I was a bit disturbed too. Cause she defends him when he wants the Dragon eggs and justifies him taking them but it is as soon as he threatens her baby that she snaps and just hates him. It is a pretty big 180 for her

I wasn't distrubed at all with what happens to viserys. You threaten to harm the unborn child of any woman, you get what you deserve. At this point he has had multiple chances to correct his ways and his own ignorance was his downfall. The only thing I never understood was how he was allowed to keep a weapon in the first place upon entering the city. However you reap what you sow and he got what was promised to him, although never the way he imagined it.

All right everyone I just finished watching S1 E6 A Golden Crown. I went through and typed up my Book vs Show sections and the Show Owns and added them into the chapters. This is a list of chapters that have had this added too:

37 Bran V

38 Tyrion V

39 Eddard X

40 Catelyn VII

43 Eddard XI

44 Sansa III

46 Deanerys V

41 Jon V is not depicted in the show

Chapter 42 and 45 are in another episode

I apologize if it is irritating to go back and read through the posts. I would link them if I could. My Next post will be an update of everyone's rankings based on all the points I handed out. See if anyone has changed recently. Thank you all for reading. If you have a question, cool insight, a book or show own, or anything go ahead and post it I love seeing your comments. Have a good day!

Just finished reading AGOT, and I'm really enjoying reading your take on the chapters. I can't agree with your idea that Catelyn picks up more and more Stark traits though. The Tully words are: Family, Duty, Honor, and she very much lives up to them. She and Ned make a great match, as those words match Ned pretty well too.

In that respect, Sansa isn't the odd one out among the Stark kids. She's doing what's expected of her: be lady-like, and prepare herself to be married to some lord or knight, she's doing her duty. I think you're quite hard on her. Sure, she can be bitchy and annoying, but can you really blame her for preferring a young handsome guy for a groom? I think it's quite understandable for a 11/12 year old girl to be delighted at the prospect of becoming a princess, and try her hardest to keep believing in her dream. Of course it can't last and the bubble bursts, so she's forced to leave the romantic, naive girl behind. And she has to do it on her own, as her wolf is dead. That makes her all the more interesting for me.

As for Dany, I don't think she's doing a 180 on Viserys. She loves him, but for a long time he has treated her as a tool to get what he wants. The only way Vicerys can get an army is by marrying off his sister, he needs her. But being married to Drogo and bearing his son, gaines her status and respect, and so she starts to stand up against her brother. I don't think she wants him to treat her like a queen, she just wants him to realise she's not his property/tool anymore.

And than the feast where he arrives drunk. She doesn't want to see him hurt, so she offers him the dragon eggs. But no, he keeps acting liking a spoiled brat, treating Dany as if she's still his toy, to do with as he pleases, like cutting out her baby. She's passed that point. She knows she's more than just his toy, she tried to make him see, but she realises there's just no way to drive the message home.

And just like I thought Vicerys was pathetic at that moment, I think she did as well. I don't think she was dead inside, she just saw him for what he was: big on words, but weak inside.

I agree when it comes to Catelyn I think I kinda brushed her off of my caring list so I think a couple of my thoughts when it comes to the Stark Traits don't hold a lot of water. I'm going to do a read through of my own notes. I think the main thing about her to me is her first chapter is just filled with moments of her feeling like an outsider that colored my view on her from that

point on.

As for Dany and her 180 I feel like in the book she has finally gained this status and Viserys is still being kind of a dick. We have that moment where she stand up against him and it is after that when he tries to steal the eggs. When Dany hears of this she basically says that he can have them and that she does love him because he is her brother. So I guess the big question is did Dany offer the dragon eggs to Viserys out of fear or love? I think it was love mainly. Because she stood up to him some of that fear she has from him has left. It was when Viserys threatened her child that she did the 180 and the love she had for him went away.

As for Sansa I think a big reasons why a good chunk of people don't like her in the beginning is that there are no other characters as dreamy as Sansa. Plus there is a lot of contrast between her and Arya. Even though Sansa is older it is Arya who has a good head on her shoulders and sees the world as it is which sides us with Arya and puts Sansa in a bad light. Sansa gets way better as the story unfolds but in the beginning she isn't my favorite.

This isn't me trying to justify my thoughts but just giving my reasoning. Besides the Catelyn and Stark trait things, that one I don't agree with anymore and will be taken out later whe nI do my 2nd edition version of my notes = ) Thanks for putting your thoughts on this thread, keep it up!

All right everyone here are the rankings update! Since were a little over halfway done with this I'm gonna do a quick count of the rankings throughout the Episodes

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode: 3 Episode: 4 Episode: 5 Episode: 6

Ned: 15 Ned: 18 Ned: 26 Ned: 31 Ned: 33 Ned: 39

Jon: 10 Tyrion: 15 Tyrion: 24 Tyrion: 25 Tyrion 26 Tyrion: 30

Arya: 7 Arya: 14 Arya: 16 Arya: 18 Arya: 22 Arya: 25

Luwin: 7 Jon: 13 Jon: 12 Jon: 18 Jon: 18 Jon: 19

Dany: 5 Luwin: 8 Luwin: 8 Littlefinger: 14 Littlefinger: 17 Littlefinger: 17

Bran: 5 Littlefinger: 8 Littlefinger: 8 Dany: 11 Dany: 11 Dany: 13

Tyrion: 4 Dany: 7 Dany: 7 Jorah: 10 Robert: 11 Robert: 12

Robert: 2 Bran: 7 Jorah: 7 Luwin: 8 Jorah: 10 Jorah: 11

Jorah: 2 Jorah: 7 Bran: 7 Bran: 7 Luwin: 8 Bronn: 10

The Hound: 1 Robert: 6 Robert: 6 Robert: 6 Bran: 7 Bran: 9

Robb: 1 Robb: 4 Robb: 5 Robb: 5 Robb: 5 Luwin: 8

Catelyn: 1 Catelyn: 1 Catelyn: 3 Sam: 5 Bronn: 5 Sam: 5

Theon: -1 Theon: -1 Sam: 2 Catelyn: 2 Varys: 2 Robb: 5

Sansa: -1 Jamie: -1 Theon: 0 Theon: 0 Catelyn: 2 Varys: 2

Joffery: -1 Varys: -1 Varys: -1 Varys: -3 Loras: 1 Catelyn: 2

Jamie: -3 The Hound: -2 Jamie" -3 The Hound: -3 Theon: -1 Theon 2

Cersei: -3 Sansa: -4 The Hound: -4 Jamie: -3 The Hound: -1 Loras: 1

Viserys: -7 Cersei: -5 Sansa: -6 Sansa: -5 Jamie: -4 The Hound: -1

Joffery: -8 Cersei: -8 Cersei: -8 Sansa: -5 Jamie: -4

Viserys: -10 Joffery: -8 Joffery: -9 Cersei: -6 Cersei: -7

Viserys: -10 Viserys: -12 Joffery: -9 Sansa: -9

Viserys: -12 Joffery: -9

Sam: 5 Viserys: -10

There are your rankings throughout the first 6 episodes of A Game of Thrones and the books. Let me know what you think. I cut out a few people I've given points too because they only had that one time I gave them points and they haven't seemed to progress from there so far in the series. Let me know your thoughts!

Chapter 47 - Eddard XIII - S1E7

Commentary/Summary

We start this chapter off with Ned having a dream. He is walking down in the crypts of Winterfell and looking upon all the Kings there. As he walks by all the Kings and their Direwolves turn to look at Ned as he walks by. He reaches Lyanna and Brandon's tombs and Lyanna calls out 'Promise me Ned'. So my frist gut reaction to this was a whole lot of judgment. These Kings are looking at Ned and the Direwolves are snarling at him as he walks by and Lyanna calls out her ever classic line. Is it possible that Ned is not fulfilling the promise he made to Lyanna and the Kings are judging him for it?

He walked up to a couple of his buys knocking on the door saying that the King requests his presence. So Ned get clothed and head off to Maegor's Holdfast, a Castle within the Red Keep with a dry mote around it. As he heads towards the kings chambers in there he passes by Boros Blount, Preston Greenfield and Barristan Selmy and Ned recalls his previous dream of the the three white cloaks he defeated at the Tower of Joy. I think the main purpose of this is just to have us recollect on that dream and hinting at how important it is. Maybe these three knights will end up being enemy towards Ned? He heads inside of the Kings room and finds Robert laying in bed with a huge gash and dying. Turns out on Roberts hunting trip he found this legendary boar of sorts and fought him one on one while drunk and he missed his thrust and the boar took him out. Renly and the others were commanded to stay behind and your just like 'come on Robert really?' But all Robert can really think about is that he ended up killing the boar with a knife through the eye and brought the carcass back for a feast. I don't think Robert ever felt like a successful king so he find his joy in other accomplishments such as this.

Now we get a moment where Robert reflects on why that boar killed him and he believes the Gods sent that boar to kill him because of his order to kill Daenerys. I think this boar defeating him is a real shock to him because let's face it, Robert is a pretty strong and intense guy and for something like an animal to kill him and end his reign comes as a shock. He led a rebellion, fought a huge war and came out alive but a simple hnting trip ended up killing him. This leads Robert to believe in this intervention of the Gods and now he regrets his orders to kill Daenerys.

So Robert has Ned write out his last order which is to make Ned the Lord Regent, basically the King for a short period, until Joffery comes of age. Now Ned was planning on telling Robert all about Cersei and Jamie's relationship but Ned has held all of this back because of Robert's circumstances. So while Ned is writing it he doesn't write 'my son Joffery' he writes' my heir leaving the option open for someone else to take the throne over Joffery. Now this is a pretty big moment for Ned because he is doing something that is unhonorables but it is for the greater good. Ned understands that the Lannisters have been trying to take over the Kingdom. Murdering Jon Arryn to keep the secret, placing people like Tywin Lannister and Jamie Lannister as Warden of the East and West, and Cersei doing all she can to get Joffery on the throne. We later learn that Robert was being fed very strong wine while he hunted and it was Cersei who ordered Lancel to do this.

Ned brings in Pycelle and Renly to witness the sealing of the letter that he wrote which is extremely important! Because I already know that in the show they don't do this and let's what happened later be justified. The problem with these two being the witness to making Ned the Lord Regent is that Pycelle is definitely on Cersei's side and Renly will eventually flee Kings Landing, having both witnesses gone gets rid of the validity of that paper. So Ned heads out, has a moment with Barristan and Varys where they discuss Lancel and him giving Robert the wine. Than we get a moment between Renly and Ned. Renly offers Ned his hand and his swrods so that Ned can take the Throne. Renly also realizes that the Lannisters will seize this moment to take the throne and Renly wants to make sure Ned is the one who is named Protector. Ned pretty much refuses this which I feel reveals Ned's biggest weakness. Ned is a very honorable person but sadly he expects everyone else to be honorable as well. He has that note written by the king and he believes that is good enough for the Kingdom to be safe. The location of this conversation I find significant. They discuss this on the bridge that goes over the moat that is filled with spikes and I feel this is showing the decision that Ned needs to make. He will either be safe on the bridge or dead in the spikes but we don't where Ned will end up by refusing Renly's help.

Ned goes back to his chambers and figures out details on how to get his children to safety. He gets the details about the ship that will take them to White Harbor and than he writes out a letter to Lord Stannis, giving him the information about Cersei and Jamie and that Robert has died and Stannis the the true heir to the kingdom. Ned needs Stannis behind him in this needs him to sail for Kings Landing so that he can take the throne as the rightful king. Than Ned has a small delusion here. He believes once the new king is established that he will be able to return to Winterfell safe and sound. Ned is way too deep into this Lannister conspiracy to ever have a calm life after this and Ned is blind to this.

The last scene is between Ned and Littelfinger and Ned is calling upon him to fulfill his promise to Catelyn and help Ned in any way he can. Ned states that Lord Stannis will be the next heir and Littlefinger is not too happy with this. If you know Littlefinger than he know that he is out for himself and if Stannis comes in he will name a new Hand and Littlefinger also says he will name a new counsel. Littlefinger has worked his tail off to get where he is and he will do what it takes to keep his status. No matter what Littlefinger wont do anything that will lead to Stannis becoming King and Ned is blind to this as well. If Stannis does become King there will be a war. Tywin is not going to sit idly by while Joffery and Cersei are pushed to the side and most likely killed because of the incest. If Joffery is out on the throne than Ned can take the power, get a couple marriages in with the Lannisters to seal the deal, dispose of Stannis and if Joffery becomes a problem they can reveal his secret and kill him. Ned is so not down for this but he still needs men to make sure that Cersei and Joffery do not take the throne. While Ned does not say it because he feels it is not honorable, Littlefinger offers to go and buy out the City Watch to defend Ned's cause. I just really feel this is the chapter where everything goes wrong for Ned. We know who betrays him and I feel things would have been different if he allowed Renly to help and kept Littlefinger status in mind.

Book Owns
-1 to Robert for biting off more than he can chew
-1 to Ned for thinking he can just go home after all of this
+1 to Renly for offering his help to Ned
-1 to ned for refusing Renly and being blind to other things
-1 to Ned for not fulfilling Lynna's Promise (MistressofWhisperers)
Favorite Character: I don't think I have for this chapter. No one stood out, you got Ned not realizing things, and everyone could be deceiving him and so on. So non for this chapter

Book Vs Show

One of the slight changes they made in the scene between Ned and Robert while he is bleeding in bed is they put a little more focus on Robert's relationship with Joffery. The only scene we really get have gotten between them is when Robert is being the judge between him and Arya. We get a moment where Robert is just full of regret over his son. He holds Joffery's hand and wishes he spent more time with him. Robert wants Ned to raise his son to be a better man than he was. Overall this scene was done extremely well. The other change they did was they didn't have Pycelle and Ren;y come in and witness Robert signing the decree for Ned to be Lord Regent. This really justy puts the emphasis on what Cersei will do and gives it a little more oomf than the book did. Ned walks out and talks with Barristan and Varys and discuss the squire. Varys has an amazing trick where he says one thing and makes everyone think something totally different. While he speaks of the Lannister boy hopefully not blaming himself for the death of Robert he creates a thought in everyone that the squire murdered the King in a way. Go varys!
He meets up with Ren;y and Renly offers Ned his men so that they can take the throne. They changed the way Renly addresses this. In the book it was more towards, we don't want cersei or Joffery on the throne, while in the show it is more, put me on the throne and not Stannis. This put renly in more of a negative light to me for some reasons. He talks down on his brother Stannis and really takes a jab at Robert and Ned with his 'soldiers don't make the best kings' comment. Overall Renly rubbed me the wrong way somehow. While I believe something has to be done, putting Ren;y on the throne wasn't a plan that was presented well.
Show Owns
+1 to Varys for brain Ninjaing us.
-1 to Renly for assuming the thrown.
-1 to Ned. I'm sorry but are you listening to Littlefinger! He is not happy with your plan but you are still asking for his help!? Who do the gold cloaks show fealty to? the guy who pays him. Littlefinger has the power and he can give that power to anyone. If he doesn't like your plan Ned than he is not going to give you the power.

Hi, long-time lurker here with my first post as I reread the series. I just finished a re-read of AGOT and I like how you're doing the analysis and comparisons with the show, great job! I would also like to add for this one that I think Ned deserves a -1 for not keeping his promise to Lyanna (which I think is supposed to come in the form of a long overdue heart-to-heart with poor Jon).

Keep it up!

Archived