.."eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly"

Satin fetch me a cock!

I have searched through several threads looking for this specific topic but couldn't find one. Let me start off by saying I am not proposing a theory, I am simply wanting to generate a discussion and let members that are far more knowledge of the series than I am, give their thoughts.

On my 2nd read through the books, I noticed this line from AGOT when Ned is dreaming of The Tower of Joy:

"Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his face."

The "sad smile" instantly made me think of Dany's HOTU prophesy.

Arthur Dayne is thought dead and also has the notable "Dayne" eyes that could be considered "bright." I'm not sure how the "grey lips can be applie to him.

Members on this forum are notorious for being able to shatter cracked pots with a baseball bat and that won't hurt my feelings one bit. Like I said, I just want to see if any of you had an opinion on this or if this has been brought up before. Because I honestly don't know who this prophesy is referring to. None of the suggestions I have seen so far has been enough to convince me.

I just thought that it was curious that in the first description of Ser Arthur Dayne he is said to be "smiling sadly." The phrase "sad smile" is in the books a total of 6 times and the phrase "smiling sadly" is only used during The HOTU prophesy. Of the 6 times the phrase is used, it is used to describe Jon twice, Ygritte once, Catelyn once, the kindly man once, and Ser Arthur Dayne. I feel like the veteran members and people that have a better understanding of the books than myself would be able to generate a decent discussion.

(Sorry it's not a thesis like some posts but at least I quoted the 1 sentence!)

I think it's Jon Connington - corpse sailing to Westeros, sad smile for Rhaegar, eyes bright as if with fever since he needs to get Aegon on the throne quickly

Euron seems to be the other popular theory.

I'm not sure what it would signify for Dany since Arthur Dayne is dead and therefore can't really affect Dany's storyline.

But well spotted!

I think it's Jon Connington - corpse sailing to Westeros, sad smile for Rhaegar, eyes bright as if with fever since he needs to get Aegon on the throne quickly

Euron seems to be the other popular theory.

I'm not sure what it would signify for Dany since Arthur Dayne is dead and therefore can't really affect Dany's storyline.

But well spotted!

Thanks! Of all the explanations, I think JonCon is the best. Unless Dayne is alive, you are right, It wouldn't have much of an impact on the story. Although I think GRRM has used the "bringing a character back from death" card for the last time. (Unless he has one for Jon Snow.) Thanks for the input!

Archived