Sorrowful Men

I was a bit surprised in not seeing any additional lore on this guild of assassins in a World of Ice and Fire, or Qarth in general.

Anyone else curious about their origins? Why their assassins say "I am so sorry" to their victims before killing them?

I was a bit surprised in not seeing any additional lore on this guild of assassins in a World of Ice and Fire, or Qarth in general.

Anyone else curious about their origins? Why their assassins say "I am so sorry" to their victims before killing them?

They did mention Qarth (the Qaathi people) in the Grasslands section.

But they did not make a section about Qarth perhaps because it will play a major role in the TWOW or ADOS

Fair enough about Qarth. But it would have been cool to have more on this guild, and other similar Essosi cults, religious sects and assassin organisations.

I agree but I think George just likes to keep it mysterious

I've been wondering about the Sorrowful Men too. We know how the FM came to be, but what about the SM? Why do they apologize? Is it a religious thing, similar to the Faceless Men's whole "gift of death" philosophy?

Plus, just imagine the "Oh crap" moment their victims have as they hear "I am so sorry"

• 4 months later...

Good catch. The appendices actually have a lot of additional information and hints in them not confirmed within the actual books themselves.

Why would the Qartheen go to the Dorthraki sea though? They've never been outside Qarth

Archived