Edmure marrying a Frey

Sabhayata

Why do some people think that Robb and Blackfish tricked Edmure into marrying a Frey or manipulated him?I am new to this forum so don't know.It was completely Catleyn's idea. Not Robb's or Blackfish's

From the way Robb looked at her, she could tell that it had been a long while since anyone had dared speak to him so bluntly. "When they told me Winterfell had fallen, I wanted to go north at once," he said, with a hint of defensiveness. "I wanted to free Bran and Rickon, but I thought . . . I never dreamed that Theon could harm them, truly. If I had . . . "
"It is too late for ifs, and too late for rescues," Catelyn said. "All that remains is vengeance."
"The last word we had from the north, Ser Rodrik had defeated a force of ironmen near Torrhen's Square, and was assembling a host at Castle Cerwyn to retake Winterfell." said Robb. "By now he may have done it. There has been no news for a long while. And what of the Trident, if I turn north? I can't ask the river lords to abandon their own people."
"No," said Catelyn. "Leave them to guard their own, and win back the north with northmen."
"How will you get the northmen to the north?" her brother Edmure asked. "The ironmen control the sunset sea. The Greyjoys hold Moat Cailin as well. No army has ever taken Moat Cailin from the south. Even to march against it is madness. We could be trapped on the causeway, with the ironborn before us and angry Freys at our backs."
"We must win back the Freys," said Robb. "With them, we still have some chance of success, however small. Without them, I see no hope. I am willing to give Lord Walder whatever he requires . . . apologies, honors, lands, gold . . . there must be something that would soothe his pride . . . "
"Not something," said Catelyn. "Someone."

As per above Robb wants to win back the Frey's but he doesn't know how and then Catelyn says that we need to offer him some one.We as readers don't know what she means until the next chapter when Lothar Frey comes and says that his father has accepted the offer to marry his daughter to Edmure.It is then that we know that Catleyn suggested Edmure not Robb or Blackfish.And  Battle of forks is only brought up by Blackfish when Edmure complains about not getting a choice.So I don't see how Blackfish or Robb manipulated him or how they had planned from before to make Edmire marry a Frey. Since it was Catleyn's idea.Until unless we assume some secret conversation between Robb,Blackfish and Catleyn where Catelyn was told to suggest Edmure's name which George didn't write about.Or am I missing something?

The ellipses are there because Robb wants someone else to complete the sentence. He mentions everything other than a marriage one of the the three Tullys in the room would have completed the sentence.

Only then came her belated remembrance. Follies done for love? He has bagged me neat as a hare in a snare. I seem to have already forgiven him. Mixed with her annoyance was a rueful admiration; the scene had been staged with the cunning worthy of a master mummer . . . or a king.

Robb got them to do his bidding without, cleverly, being the one to suggest it but it seems pretty clear that he must have realized a marriage is the only thing that would possibly resolve the situation.

1 hour ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

The ellipses are there because Robb wants someone else to complete the sentence. He mentions everything other than a marriage one of the the three Tullys in the room would have completed the sentence.

Only then came her belated remembrance. Follies done for love? He has bagged me neat as a hare in a snare. I seem to have already forgiven him. Mixed with her annoyance was a rueful admiration; the scene had been staged with the cunning worthy of a master mummer . . . or a king.

Robb got them to do his bidding without, cleverly, being the one to suggest it but it seems pretty clear that he must have realized a marriage is the only thing that would possibly resolve the situation.

Sorry still don't understand. The above highlighted part is what Catelyn thinks after she realizes that Robb forgave her so that she forgives Robb for breaking his promise to Frey's. This has got nothing to do with suggesting Edmure's name for marrying a Frey.

Like I said it was Catelyn's idea not Robb's or Blackfish's how would they know that Catleyn woud suggest Emure's name. There is no way Robb can read mind's. And Robb doesn't even suggest any names he just says he doesn't know which way will work and then Catelyn comes up with the way. I mean there is noting in the text that suggest that Robb knew from before that Cateklyn would suggest Edmure's name.

Archived