Revisiting Prophesy, House of the Undying...Post Season 6 Finale

I am using the prophesies in the book and the major plot points from Season 6 of GoT to weave together some predictions for the end of the series.

Vision #1

In one room, a beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor while four little men crawled over her...One was pumping between her thighs. Another savaged her breasts, worrying at the nipples with his red wet mouth, tearing and chewing.

Many have speculated that this vision refers to Cersi. Post Tommen committing suicide, it would make sense that he is the second little man referenced. As king, he is very much a boy forced to become a man once he is made to rule. I think "red wet mouth" references the blood in his mouth that surely resulted from heading face first out a window. It also seems to me that the word tearing is a double entendre. At first read, it would seem that tearing and chewing reference the little man "savaging her breasts". However, tearing can also mean crying. Before Tommen commits suicide, he is surely chewing on the horrific fact that he just witnessed his mother murder hundreds if not thousands of people, forced to mourn the death of his wife along with everyone in his life that he cared for and respected. If this is the case, it also makes sense to desexualize the first reference to the little man "pumping between her thighs". My best guess here is that it references Tyrion possible stabbing her to death as she attempts to fight back. One can imagine an image of a fight in which "pumping" refers to the act of stabbing as Cersei attempts to hold him off with her legs. This last one may be a stretch, but it makes much more sense as an element of foreshadowing that most of the other theories I've hear. Food for thought. 

Vision #2

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Savaged limbs clutched bloody cups, wooden spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. On a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a scepter, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.

Most people at this point think this was foreshadowing the Red Wedding, although many people have pointed out that the details are inconsistent with the Red Wedding. No limbs were lost at the red wedding, there's no mention of wooden spoons or roasted fowl, and Rob never held a leg of lamb as a king might hold a scepter. Some alternate theories that I've heard are that this instead foreshadows the Starks revenge on Walder Frey and others think that the "iron crown" suggests this a reference to Theon. Given the events that occurred in the episode 610, we can rule out the Starks revenge on the Frey's as Aria kills him ceremoniously in an empty dining hall after forcing him to eat a pot pie baked of his own children's flesh. Additionally, were left with Jon Snow being 'crowned' the new king in the north back in Winterfell as a clearly perturbed little finger looks on. Given that Littlefinger's army surely outnumbers the remaining army of northerners, is seems to me that it would be more than feasable, from a military standpoint, for Little finger to stage his own slaughter at the celebretory feast that is sure to be upcoming. Jon's conversation with Millisandre foreshadows Jon's symbolic rise from a backroom bastard to a legitimized Stark up on the main table. This event must surely take place following the North's second round of "King of the North Cries". Even the shows directors mentioned that this "crowning" was ominous as we remember the fate of the last King in the North. Wooden spoons, roast fowl, and heels of bread seem to be the type of things we'd expect at a Winterfell Feast. I haven't actually gone back the first book to confirm, but I'd venture to guess that these items can be found in a description of one of the Winterfell feasts in book 1 (can anyone confirm?). Furthermore, we know that Jon snow is a quote unquote deadman as his already risen from the dead once already. Finally, with R + L = J finally confirmed, it seems clear that Jon is now king both in name and by blood. I'll be very curious to see what Jon's crown will be made out of should he choose to wear one. With all that said, it also seems possible that the reverse will happen in that Sansa will work with Jon to arrange the slaughter of Littlefinger and his army at a feast presided over by the dead king Jon.

Vision #5

The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better name for a king?” "Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.
“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.” He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. “The dragon has three heads.” He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

Let's start with the prince that was promised. It has long been speculated that this was Jon Snow. With R+J=L confirmed and Melisandre parroting the same language in her descriptions of Jon, this theory seems to be gaining more and more credibility. It also stands to reasons that “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. If we assume that the man was speaking to Dany, it stands to reason that Jon and Dany comprise two of the three heads of the Dragon. Keeping in mind that R+L=J means that Jon Snow has Targarian blood in his veins and should therefore be able to ride one of Dany's three living dragons. The question that begs answering is, who is the final head of the Dragon? Seems probable that it will be Tyrion given his proximity to Dany as Hand of the Queen, indications that he is actually part Targarian, and the fact that he unchained two of Dany's dragons and was allowed to leave unharmed. Although, that all seems way to obvious a plot line for GRRM so I'm quite sure one of the characters will die a gruesome, unceremonious death instead of riding to glory aback a dragon. My monies on Tyrion and Jon both meeting their demise.

Vision #6

She is not breathing. Dany listened to the silence. None of them are breathing, and they do not move, and those eyes see nothing. Could it be that the Undying Ones were dead?
Her answer was a whisper as thin as a mouse’s whisker… we live… live… live… *it sounded. Myriad other voices whispered echoes… And know… know… know… know…*
“I have come for the gift of truth,” Dany said. “In the long hall, the things I saw… were they true visions, or lies? Past things, or things to come? What did they mean?”
…the shape of shadows… morrows not yet made… drink from the cup of ice… drink from the cup of fire…
…mother of dragons… child of three…
“Three?” She did not understand.
…three heads has the dragon… the ghost chorus yarnmered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air… mother of dragons… child of storm… The whispers became a swirling song… three fires must you light… one for life and one for death and one to love… Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt… three mounts must you ride… one to bed and one to dread and one to love… The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath…three treasons will you know… once for blood and once for gold and once for love…
“I don’t…” Her voice was no more than a whisper, almost as faint as theirs. What was happening to her? “I don’t understand,” she said, more loudly. Why was it so hard to talk here? “Help me. Show me.”
…help her… the whispers mocked… show her…

There's a lot to cover in this prophecy but let's focus on the three primary components:

1. three fires must you light… one for life and one for death and one to love… 

One for life would seem to reference her giving birth to her Dragons, but this did take place prior to her visit to the House of The Undying so this may being another prophetic misdirect in the same vein as the Red Wedding. One for death clearly references her murdering all the Khal's and riding off with a united Dothraki army. Finally, the fire for love is still to come. I got no predictions here. I haven't picked out any new evidence that would shed light on this element of the prophecy. 

2. three mounts must you ride… one to bed and one to dread and one to love…

One to bed would seem to reference the horse she rode on her wedding to Khal Drogo, but again this took place prior to the prophecy. One to dread would seem to indicate the "Wooden Horses" she's using to sail to Westeros. This would seem to align nicely with a potential treason coming from behind her in the form of a Euron/Dario alliance and one in front of her in the form of a Sand Snake/Queen of Thorns treason. Finally, I still got nothing on the one to love other than the vague notion that Targarians have a history of incest, the best available strategic alliance for Dany in Westeros is with the Starks, and that it would be fittingly and characteristically tragic/shocking for GRRM to send Dany riding into the arms of Jon Snow, who knows nothing of his Targarian blood, only to later open one of the characters eyes to their kinship.

3.three treasons will you know… once for blood and once for gold and once for love…

Jorah Mormont is clearly the treason for love. Given that Dany has left Dario behind and we know that Euron is sailing for Slaver's Bay, I think it is a logical conclusion that Daario will betray Dany to Euron in return for gold as, without Dany, it stands to reason that Daario will return to his old ways as a mercenary. Finally, once for blood. (As a side note, these treasons appear to occur in reverse chronological order). The best candidates for her treason for blood would seem to revolve around Tyrion and the Sand Snakes/Queen of Thornes quest for vengeance against the Lanister's. As others have noted, it is unlikely that Tyrion murdering his father will save him from their wrath, as most of their actions seem to be blinded by passion and rage, and bereft of any concern for the actual victim's guilt or innocence (see Myrcella). It is also possible, but seems much less likely, that Tyrion will betray her for Jamie and or Casterly Rock or John will betray her for the North. It seems much more probable that her first alliance upon arriving in Westeros will fall apart and end in some form of treason. 

I like your thoughts, but a lot of this assumes the show depicted actual events in the book, which I don't think will happen. I think the events in the show were possible outcomes that GRMM left open the possibility for. For example, he said his first draft Tyrion was by far his favorite character, but that it left the story locked in, and he wanted room to develop and change events and ultimately rewrote Tyrion. So GRMM, knowing that the show would spoil the books, gave D&D these alternative storylines that are not implausible, but will no longer be used, as to keep surprises for himself. 

Something not many people have considered is what if Danny herself betrays something, and is one of the three treasons. What if she decides to abandon Slaver's bay, cuts her losses, and moves on with the Dothraki army? 

Also, who is doing the drinking, when told "drink from the cup of ice, drink from the cup of fire?" Is Dany the fire, and Jon the ice, or is Danny above that, perhaps as the price that was promised, and has to both choose two other people resembling fire and ice respectively?     Danny–John–Aegon alliance anyone?  

GRMM stated somewhere that he planned to introduce characters in three waves. I don't know if this still holds true, but if it does, will Winds introduce more players as a third wave? Old town? Ashai? The Vale? Bravos Politics? 

Additionally, Euron has been introduced as a wild card, but there are enough wild cards and players that GRMM did not need him for the story as just another contender for the throne. Rather, I think that Euron will become a major force in the next two books. (personally, I think he is an agent of the Great Other) So there is that complications as well. Also SPOILER from released Baltic material:  { Euron does not depart for slavers bay, but remains in Westeros with some sort of mysterious sorcery ace-up-his-sleve, and therefore any alliance Dario would not be made with Euron } END SPOILER

Lastly, while that is such a cool idea that we misread the bloody feast and another massacre is still to come, I don't think it is very plausible. I doubt Jon will come back to life for a while, possible not until DoS, and at that point politics will have ended for the North, and survival will have begun. 

Archived