Casting the Movie Continued Continued Continued

Ser Bruce the Hound KG

Man, though, In Troy, the war only LASTS a week

Don't. Get. Me. Started! I had been looking forward to that film for so long and then the pile of suck it turned out to be ... my darling Patroclus, what did they do to you?! :cry:

Anyway, on topic, look at the Amok Giantsbane. Whack a beard on Cox and you've got it!

Yeah, Hector wasn't sorry he killed Patroclus, because Patroclus was fucking BUTCHERING the Trojans, including one of the kings of their allies who was Zeus's son!

And Briseis and Achilles, WTF?! And what about Agammemnon being there for Helen ALONE and the war ready to end when Paris lost? How about Agammemnon being a tall, proud warrior and Achilles even called off one of the funeral games because he knew noone would beat Agammemnon in spear throwing?

He wasn't badass in either and CERTAINLY not in Troy...he was a lecherous, decadent prick in Troy, saved only by Cox's great acting.

Man, though, In Troy, the war only LASTS a week

How much of a badass do you want him to be? Tormund isn't the Mountain or the Hound.

And I actually saw Cox being interviewed on TV this very morning and he's a very strong looking guy - I would be scared if he came at me wielding a big weapon!

I saw him on the Paul O'Grady show! He must be doing the rounds. And yes he does strong but somehow sweet at the same time, which suits Tormund.

Yeah, Hector wasn't sorry he killed Patroclus, because Patroclus was fucking BUTCHERING the Trojans, including one of the kings of their allies who was Zeus's son!

And Briseis and Achilles, WTF?! And what about Agammemnon being there for Helen ALONE and the war ready to end when Paris lost? How about Agammemnon being a tall, proud warrior and Achilles even called off one of the funeral games because he knew noone would beat Agammemnon in spear throwing?

Grrrrr, I know! Briseis was not some holy princess! And Achilles just threw a hissy fit when she was nicked off him, he was not in love with her. And the way they made Patroclus into this whiny little snot ... urgh! He was not Achilles' ickle baby cousin who went and got himself oh so tragically killed, he was a warrior. His death had absolutely no emotional resonance because he just hadn't done enough in the film for us to give a shit about him. And Achilles going ballistic when he died made no sense because they completely glossed over their relationship in case anyone *gasp* thought they were gay!

And Briseis killing Agamemnon and Agamemnon killing Priam ... such crap!

But it was the fault of the whip-cracking producers, not the scriptwriters. Nope. David Benioff is totally not going to butcher ASOIAF the same way he did The Illiad. Nuh-uh. Please tell me he's not!

Well, in the Iliad, Briseis and Patroclus were in love....

... they were?! Nah, Achilles and Patroclus were getting it on. It is known. Even Shakespeare knew it!

I really think Billy Connelly is perfect for The Blackfish.

I think he's too funny. He's a comedian first and an actor second. I wouldn't be able to take him seriously as Brynden.

Actually, yes: Briseis, when Patroclus dies, begins sobbing and scratching herself, and tearing her clothes, mentioning all the plans they'd made after the war, I think.

Do you mean when she sees his body in Book 19? It's not plans they made together, she says, "... when Achilles killed my husband ... you would not let me weep, but you said you would make me godlike Achilles' wedded wife, and take me back in your ships to Phthia, and celebrate my marriage feast among the Myrmidons. And so I weep endlessly for your death. You were always gentle."

Basically she's sad because he was always nice to her, not because they were lovers! It's Achilles who starts pouring dust and ashes over himself and tearing at his hair when he hears of Patroclus' death and it's the Achilles/Patroclus relationship which is at the heart of The Iliad, whether you interpret it as sexual or not.

Um, yeah. Casting. Er ... anyone else got anymore thoughts on the whole Katherine Moennig vs Lizzy Caplan vs Milla Jovovich as Asha and Kevin Zegers vs Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Theon thing?

Zegers is totally right as Theon. Theon should look young and stupid. JRM would just look old and evil.

And I like Moennig but I don't think I would believe that she was 23. Lizzy is a nice 24. :D

So my vote stays Lizzy and Kevin. :)

And are we going with Cox, or do certain people want to keep Hulk Hogan... :P

JRM doesn't look old! Theon is also SUPPOSED to be evil! Can people stop overlookinghis roles still tend towards young men? He's playing a very youthful Henry VIII.

What does Zegers have? Ok, wow....we has dark hair and he's lean. He's also pouty-Theon's usually smiling- he's a lesser actor, he doesn't have Theon's build, nor his expression...JRM does.

And Lizzy is an awful choice, she doesn't look right at all...how does she resemble Asha whatsoever

JRM doesn't look old! Theon is also SUPPOSED to be evil! Can people stop overlookinghis roles still tend towards young men? He's playing a very youthful Henry VIII.

He's playing a 25 year old Henry.

And no, he doesn't look old. He just looks his age - which is about ten years too old to be Theon! He also looks markedly older than Jon and Robb, which is perhaps more important.

What does Zegers have? Ok, wow....we has dark hair and he's lean. He's also pouty-Theon's usually smiling- he's a lesser actor, he doesn't have Theon's build, nor his expression...JRM does.

I think Zegers is capable of smiling! And Theon is a pouty little bitch when he goes back to the Iron Islands and everyone starts getting the better of him!

I think JRM looks a little too intelligent to be Theon. He really does look cool and calculating whereas Theon is an arrogant young guy in way over his head who likes to think he's a lot more clever than he is - you could say the same really of Zegers' character in Transamerica, and that was his best performance.

On Asha, I actually lean more towards Kate Moennig just 'cause I have a total girlcrush on her! :D

Too intelligent? Theon is clever...he is also in way over his head at the end, just like Steerpike, or Demetrius in Titus.

And ten years is NOT bad for an actor...JRM looks quite young for his age. And also: Theon is markedly older than Jon or Robb, that's rather undebatable, especially in Westeros

And ten years is NOT bad for an actor...JRM looks quite young for his age. And also: Theon is markedly older than Jon or Robb, that's rather undebatable, especially in Westeros

Why especially in Westeros? Because they come of age sooner? So what?! Five years is still five years and JRM does not look five years older than either Jonathan Bailey or William Moseley.

And Theon is not clever, he's a twat! :D

Because when the life expectancy is around 50, five years is about a tenth of your life.

And Theon certainly portrays a clever aura. He certainly believes himself to be....JRM;ll do that better than Zegers, whose best style is grim and scowling.

Just imagine JRM: A dead enemy is a thing of beauty...

Archived