Book/TV Spoiler - The Bold

Wood of the Morning

I don't think they'll need to do much really. Daenerys has never seen him before, and they could easily claim that Ser Jorah has never met him (I can't remember whether he actually has or not). They don't need to disguise him from the audience, because it wouldn't work. People would spot Ian McElhinney's name in the credits anyway even if they did the disguise well.

I'm imagining this as somewhat similar to Éowyn's disguise in Return of the King. In the book it was kept secret from the reader. As far as the reader was told, the rider carrying Merry into battle was 'Dernhelm'. Making the film they knew that they wouldn't be able to keep her identity secret from the viewer (or from Merry), so they didn't even try. It didn't matter so long as Théoden and Éomer didn't know she was there.

I don't think they'll need to do much really. Daenerys has never seen him before, and they could easily claim that Ser Jorah has never met him (I can't remember whether he actually has or not). They don't need to disguise him from the audience, because it wouldn't work. People would spot Ian McElhinney's name in the credits anyway even if they did the disguise well.

I'm imagining this as somewhat similar to Éowyn's disguise in Return of the King. In the book it was kept secret from the reader. As far as the reader was told, the rider carrying Merry into battle was 'Dernhelm'. Making the film they knew that they wouldn't be able to keep her identity secret from the viewer (or from Merry), so they didn't even try. It didn't matter so long as Théoden and Éomer didn't know she was there.

Completely agree. I'm sure they won't go through any effort to disguise Barristan to the viewer.

They didnt went into Jorah story in the series, but Jorah knew Barristan from the court, the war and mostly from all the tourneys Barristan and Jorah fought at the same time.

Barristan is a living legend, almost everyone knows him.

He could be Arstan Whitehair...

They didnt went into Jorah story in the series, but Jorah knew Barristan from the court, the war and mostly from all the tourneys Barristan and Jorah fought at the same time.

Barristan is a living legend, almost everyone knows him.

He could be Arstan Whitehair...

Yeah, I figured he'd probably met him. It'll still be far easier for the show to claim that he hadn't, though, so I get the feeling that's what they'll do.

What for? The situation in the books is simple enough.

I may be mistaken, because it's a while since I read it, but seem to recall that nobody there realised who Barristan was. That's okay in book format, but it begins to stretch credibility a bit in a TV setting when it's obvious who he is.

If Jorah knew it was Ser Barristan all along but didn't say anything in the book, then I've misremembered and that would fine. But really it doesn't matter whether they go with Jorah recognising him or not. If he doesn't mention it, the end result is the same.

Archived