[BOOK SPOILERS] Roose Bolton's Favourite Hobby

The BlackWolf

I actually think he is even more sadistic than his son - just much better at controlling himself. He's like Hannibal Lector - Ramsey is just Buffalo Bill.

Disagree. If that were the case, he would have had Arya's tongue out at Harrenhall when she questioned him, rather than just threatening. Ramsay (maybe) uses his dog to rape his second wife, and starved his first wife to death, and you think Roose is more sadistic than that??!

Roose is too cold and emotionless to be a sadist. He's just a sociopath. If he does flay people, I have a feeling it's more of a tradition-thing for him, almost a duty to hi lineage, rather than a pleasurable activity

Disagree. If that were the case, he would have had Arya's tongue out at Harrenhall when she questioned him, rather than just threatening. Ramsay (maybe) uses his dog to rape his second wife, and starved his first wife to death, and you think Roose is more sadistic than that??!

Roose is too cold and emotionless to be a sadist. He's just a sociopath. If he does flay people, I have a feeling it's more of a tradition-thing for him, almost a duty to hi lineage, rather than a pleasurable activity

I think my point still stands. Roose knows that he has to keep that stuff hidden, and Arya's a good example. Doing things like taking all your servants tongues is frowned upon by the other nobles, and terrifying your populace could lead to inconvenient things like peasant uprisings, and then who's going to draw your bath for you?

All you need to do to be a sadist, is to get pleasure out of hurting others - when you do hurt them. It doesn't mean you have to hurt all of the people all at every opportunity. That's the main difference between Roose and Ramsey.

I agree that Roose is also a sociopath/psychopath (inability to empathize with others or feel real emotions).

Archived