No "Second Life" for Sansa

pourthedamhypocras

Yes it was the Arryns hahah! I agree with what you're saying about Sansa's development. As we move away from Game she does become more of a skeptic and less trusting. I do think she is in some way separate from the other children though, she has a very different experience of life to the others. While they are all traipsing through the wild or freezing at the wall she is kept captive at court and then kept captive at the vale. Cersei at court refers to her as "Little Dove" as well, I feel that throughout the book the references to her as a bird are reflecting how she has been caged and captive while away from Winterfell by the Lannisters and Littlefinger. I think moving to the eyrie only extends that metaphor as it is a cage in its own right, it's exceptionally hard to get down from in winter and Lysa never left. I feel all the symbolism around Sansa points towards a feeling of captivity and is less to do with Sansa flying, (either out of the Moon Door or on a dragon.)

I like this analogy. It reminds me of Maya Angelou's poem, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

The last lines are:

The caged bird sings

With fearful trill

Of things unkown

But longed for still

And his tune is heard

On a distant hill

For the caged bird

Sings of freedom.

I like this analogy. It reminds me of Maya Angelou's poem, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

The last lines are:

The caged bird sings

With fearful trill

Of things unkown

But longed for still

And his tune is heard

On a distant hill

For the caged bird

Sings of freedom.

Oh that is so pretty Blisscraft. There is definitely an imagery created around Sansa of being a caged bird (though regarding Rawien's statement that Cersie refers to her as litlle dove, that is only on the HBO show, but the show did at least pick up on all the bird references wrt Sansa). This poem also reminds me of the song "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" from the musical Sweeney Todd by Stephen Sondheim. The character who sings it, Johanna, is also a pretty girl being kept prisoner in her home similar to Sansa.

OH! Bliss,How I miss the button "Like this" when I read each post of yours...! :(

Just beautiful!:

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

The last lines are:

The caged bird sings

With fearful trill

Of things unkown

But longed for still

And his tune is heard

On a distant hill

For the caged bird

Sings of freedom.

Archived