Catelyn and Jon's relationship

Jody

I found Catelyn's and Jon Snow's relationship to be very, to but it lightly, hostile and cold. I know he's a bastard and all, but the kid is so nice and charming towards everyone. He has a heart (just look what he did for the direwolf pups) and did NOTHING to her. Ned loves him just like he loves his other children, so why can't Catelyn just treat the kid with some respect? What really got me upset was when Jon went to see how Bran was doing, and when he left Catelyn simply said she wished it was him (Jon) who fell. Right there and then I was so mad, I almost threw the book across the room. I and to be honest, I really hate Catelyn, she's just a cold and unloving person. ;l

That's my little rant for the day.

You have to understand where Catelyn is coming from. She is married to Ned Stark, father of his children, yet she has to have Jon around her 24/7 reminding her of her husband's infidelity. Put yourself in her shoes, if your husband/wife brought in a child they had with another person while you were married to them you would be hostile. Also, the part about saying she wished it was he who felled, is the sayings of a distraught mother.

I think criticizing Catelyn and Jon's relationship and seeing Cat as wrong in it comes from our views of these types of relationships in our day and times. We have to remember this is set in a time when a woman couldn't just divorce her husband for cheating on her. Cat was stuck and then had to carry on making babies for Ned. So yeah, it would be a very bitter pill to swallow to have your husband return with a baby from another woman that he parades around in front of you, especially when it seems that most men discard their bastards or ship them off somewhere out of sight. She was also dealing with her son being on the brink of death and so while what she said was heartless - she wasn't in her right mind and hadn't been sleeping, etc.

Archived