Thoughts on Gregor

Ser Vallon Snow

Maybe both at once could take out Gregor, but maybe not, too. Gregor is a straight up monster, inhumanly strong, gigantic and quick for his size. He feels no pain (save for his headaches) because he drinks milk of the poppy everyday. He wears the thickest armour in Westeros and wields a greatsword with one hand. I think the Selmy and the Kingslayer would have their work cut out for them. It would be the much wiser course, if one was set on killing Gregor then and there, to use ranged attacks. Melee combat plays into The Mountain's strengths.

Jaime would for sure take Gregor down by himself. Barristan might have more trouble being not as quick as he used to but Jaime is not old or slowing.

Killing Loras, hands down. Raiding some villages is not even close to the same level, politically, as killing the son of a Great House.

I disagree. Gregor and the Lannisters basically declared war against House Tully. That is worse than killing the third son of the great house.

Oberyn was training/imagining/preparing for this fight for years, was a great fighter and still lost.

Jaime and Barristan both fought and trained with Gregor for years, they know all of his tricks and how to beat him. Oberyn isn't on either of their level yet he still had Gregor beat.

Gregor is a brute who has limited skill, the guy is all strength.

As for what happens if Sandor doesn't step in. I believe Loras dies, Gregor is allowed to leave (his fate left to his liege lord). Tywin is pissed at Gregor but forgives his mad dog and attempts to patch things up with the Tyrells. I don't however think he attacks the Riverlands with a possible conflict with the Tyrells coming.

Jaime and Barristan both fought and trained with Gregor for years, they know all of his tricks and how to beat him. Oberyn isn't on either of their level yet he still had Gregor beat.

Gregor is a brute who has limited skill, the guy is all strength.

Robert was all strength too :D He was a great warrior.

Robert was all strength too :D He was a great warrior.

Gregor is no Robert. Gregor is a dumb brute, Robert was said to be a fierce warrior. From what we see of Gregor his skill leaves something to be desired.

I might add that i don't believe Robert could defeat either of those men in single combat either.

If you watch the clip of the Hound-Mountain fight you see that when King Robert says "Stop this madness in the name of your King" both men cease fighting INSTANTLY.

Sandor drops to the floor in salute and Gregor chucks his sword down like a child.

Whilst the combat prowess of both men can not be doubted, the Clegane's are quite lowly in standing in Westeros.

One is a Landed Knight the other is a bodyguard who doesnt want to be a knight.

Both men know that disobeying KIng Robert would not mean a favourable outcome for either of them.

With that in mind, Even Gregor wouldnt be silly enough to slaughter the favourite son (Loras) of one of the most powerful houses in Westeros.

Gregor would only do something like that under command from Lord Tywin! :cool4:

Whats a bigger deal: raping the Riverlands or killing Loras? Cause Robert was pissed that Ned called for Gregors head even after the Riverland. Robert really wanted Tywin on his side.

Having the King Millions of Golden Dragons in your debt has its privileges.

If you watch the clip of the Hound-Mountain fight you see that when King Robert says "Stop this madness in the name of your King" both men cease fighting INSTANTLY.

Sandor drops to the floor in salute and Gregor chucks his sword down like a child.

Whilst the combat prowess of both men can not be doubted, the Clegane's are quite lowly in standing in Westeros.

One is a Landed Knight the other is a bodyguard who doesnt want to be a knight.

Both men know that disobeying KIng Robert would not mean a favourable outcome for either of them.

With that in mind, Even Gregor wouldnt be silly enough to slaughter the favourite son (Loras) of one of the most powerful houses in Westeros.

Gregor would only do something like that under command from Lord Tywin! :cool4:

Bot Gregor was going to slaughter Loras had Sandor not stepped in. He didn'r attack him for fun. I for one hink that neither Gregor nor Tywin is the least bit afraid of Mace Tyrell.

What do you mean "even Oberyn"? Oberyn has a fair chance of beating anyone in the books in a 1 vs. 1 scenario.

I'm not quite sure about that. Styles make fights and Oberyn was a bad style match up for Gregor. When facing someone who can match his speed such as Jaime, I don't think he fares too well.

What do you mean "even Oberyn"? Oberyn has a fair chance of beating anyone in the books in a 1 vs. 1 scenario.

I meant "even Oberyn" as in "even a guy on a lower tier". He's a cool guy, but he's never been listed as one of the best like Jaime or Barristan. He's not beating the top dogs without poisoning them.

Loras would had died and that would had cost Gregor his head, no question about it. You don't go murdering the sons of the most powerful houses of Westeros and go unpunished, especially in a situation in which Gregor was.

True if Tywin had really insisted he could had most likely saved Gregor but what is one soldier, even if a great one, worth for a lord that commands tens of thousand. The prudent action would had been let that madman be punished.

Archived