Little things that bug you

Arya's Italics

I'm on this forum, so obviously I like the books, but there are a few little things that always make me roll my eyes. How about you?

--People urinating and "shaking off the last few drops". This is described several times. Do we really need that level of detail???

--Arya is always thinking things are stupid and she's not a baby.

--Everyone's outfit must be described down to the last stitch and buckle.

--Entire paragraphs of banners, sigils, etc.

--Martin seems to fall in and out of love with certain words, phrases, etc. So in the first book or two, we hear about aurochs several times, and then they disappear (but we see mammoths...). At a certain point, the phrases "much and more/little and less" come into vogue. In one book, I forget which one, every female is sporting dagged sleeves, but never again are they worn...

The dew shaking I could do without, but the Arya thing that's just trying to portray that she is still a child. The outfits, banners and sigils, well we could picture everybody naked but the banners and definitely the sigils have to be there to illustrate that there is a difference in people.

Thats just Arya's personality. Those are some quite nitpicky things. I can't say there is much to GRRM tht gets to me. Compared to, say, Knaak, George is quite good with his wider vocabulary and he shows an avoidance of repeating certain words just for the sake of it.

I love that Arya says stupid. Egg says it too.

Sansa says tummy. I feel like that's toddler talk.

I do hate repeated phrases for the most part though.

I lose interest in heraldry talk unless it involves Targs.

There's probably more that I just can't remember.

On the contrary, the urinating thing didn't really bother me. It was just another thing that showed the incredible level of description that GRRM can give you. It's so vivid and rich that you find yourself lost in the book. The description is a large part of that, at least for me.

I think these details are what provide such great imagery. Sure, there are certain words/phrases that have made me cringe - though I am drawing blanks at the moment - but overall, I dig them.

"It is known" really bugged me for a while. Oddly enough I catch myself saying it all the time :dunno:

:agree:

Archived