Cripples & Rejects

Lucky Shield

After re-reading the books for what feels like the 20th time. Is anyone else getting the feeling that a lot of cripples and/or "rejects" are gradually becoming lords and heirs to great houses.

> Theon : Arguably the heir to the Seastone Chair, he was maimed and mentally damaged by Ramsay. He is not only despised by the entire north but also by his own family

--> Some people may view Victarion as the heir but the argument stands as his hand was burnt by Moqorro and his ambitions are generally discarded by Asha, Theon and Euron for being dumb as a stump

> Tyrion : the "true" Heir to Casterly Rock, disfigured and hated by half the kingdom for being a Lannister and by the others for being a kin(g)slayer.

--> I know Tywin believed Jaime was the heir to Casterly Rock but the point remains that he is also a cripple and despised as the kingslayer.

--> Since both Tyrion and Jaime are incapable of inheriting (kingslayer and kingsguard). It seems that Cersei is truly the lord of Casterly Rock and her heir would therefore be Myrcella (who has recently lost an ear!).

> Shireen. An unpopular figure, Shireen is afflicted with greyscales and has been the true heir to the Iron Throne since Robert's ascension. She spends a lot of time "hidden" from a society that would despise her.

> Sweetrobin is also a weak sickly boy ill-favoured by nobles and smallfolk alike. One could make a case that he is LF's heir until he comes of age.

> Willas of Highgarden is a cripple and heir to Highgarden. He must stay at home when his father and brothers fight the war. Can't wait for him to show up in the book as he is the only man the Thorn Queen seems to approve of.

> Bran or Arya... Bran is a cripple and a greenseer, he is the legitimate heir to Winterfell but everyone believes he is dead. Sansa is a "criminal" so the North believes Arya is the heir.. Arya Horseface, more wolf than girl, wilder than a wildling and everything Sansa is not, she never truly fitted in noble society.

In conclusion, a lot of these "reject" characters are in a position to legitimately inherit great power. But I just find it extremely odd that the heirs to 6 of the great houses are crippled or somehow on the margins of normal society for being different from normal people. Victarion (burnt hand), Shireen (greyscales), Tyrion (dwarf and disfigured), Bran (crippled), Willas (crippled), Sweetrobin (sickly and weak).

Regarding the Tullys, Edmure was the heir but his father's death meant that he is now the lord and his natural heir (until he gets a child) would be Bran.

Any thoughts regarding this?

NOTE : I am using the term "reject" for lack of a better word, but I generally mean it as a failure/a loser/an incompetent in the eyes of others

Edit : Spell check and corrections

Indeed ! both patterns both follow the same thread. I was going to go a little further in my reflexion by saying that Daenerys seems to act as some sort of "magnet" for these cripples and rejects.

She is the mother who gathers all the unwanted in the world and care for all subjects not just the rich or the powerful.

Obviously this idea would please the crippled heirs and IMO I think that after meeting her Victarion, Tyrion will view her as the genuine queen and the great houses will survive thanks to the cripples/rejects who have rallied around her.

Victarion and Tyrion (both heirs) are already on their way to her.

If Shireen is a believer in the Lord of Light (can someone confirm this?), she might view Dany as AA

Dorne is a natural ally and control Myrcella at the moment (althouh the death of Quentyn might trouble matters)

Highgarden was faithful to Aerys until the end, who's to say Willas wouldn't prefer a dragon on the iron thrones if something happens to Margaery?

Arya could very well join Dany if the theory of FM/Missandei proves to be correct

There's also Brienne, heir of Evenfall Hall, already ugly and now disfigured thanks to Biter.

> I wanted to concentrate on the major houses but yes Brienne is also a good example :)

Don't forget Dorne. With Arianne set to marry Aegon, Quentin is next in the succession, and his recent accident left him disfigured for life. All 3 days of it.

> I didn't forget Dorne but since Quentyn was dead and Arianne is actively playing the game of thrones, I decided to omit Dorne

> I didn't forget Dorne but since Quentyn was dead and Arianne is actively playing the game of thrones, I decided to omit Dorne

I was trying to be funny. Sorry.

Let's also not forget the heir to House Tully. Sure he's fine now, but he might not be in such great shape after one of Uncle Jaime's Famous Trebuchet Rides.

I was trying to be funny. Sorry.

Let's also not forget the heir to House Tully. Sure he's fine now, but he might not be in such great shape after one of Uncle Jaime's Famous Trebuchet Rides.

> No need to apologize my good friend ! I'm pretty sure Jaime means those rides to be beneficial to characters overall health - it's like the westerosi version of a day at a spa.

> Oh geez, how I laughed. "Bran I was only trying to get you to open your inner chakra" Yoga teacher Jaime

Yeah. It's a daring method, but on hindsight it worked very well. That's probably why he said "The Things I DO For Love", because he's so caring for Bran. Jaime should have added "You may not like it now, but you'll thank me for it later". Or "Okay Bran, now this is going to hurt a little.....".

Archived