Linking Rains of Castamere with WOT5K

Tenzinkendrick

An attempt to link current events with The Rains of Castamere. Note that I am not trying to choose a side; if, for example, I state Stannis as the 'rightful heir' I am not trying to choose a side. Spoilers for the first three or four books, since I cannot remember exactly where my final spoiler for Balon takes place.

First, the three dead rebel kings, Renly Baratheon, Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy

And who are you, the proud lord said,

that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat,

that's all the truth I know.

-Renly. He not only sought the throne, but to upturn the social order, believing himself better than the rightful heir Stannis (and who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?). 'Only a cat of a different coat' = he believed them both Baratheons, but himself a better ruler - 'that's all the truth I know'.

-Robb. 'And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?' Questioning Joffrey's legitimacy to rule.' 'Only a cat of a different coat, That's all the truth I know.' Cannot associate this with Robb.

-Balon. 'And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?' Balon not only questioning Joffrey's legitimacy, but his hold over the Iron Islands.

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

And mine are long and sharp, my lord,

as long and sharp as yours.

-Renly. Renly's threat to his brother Stannis, stating that while they were both Baratheons, he could easily match and possibly beat Stannis in the field of battle. Also displays his arrogance in that belief - 'as long and sharp as yours.'

-Robb. Robb threatening Joffrey, his arrogance in the fact that he had a chance of victory.

-Balon. Balon's threat of Joffrey's control, and arrogance in the poorly defended Northern coast.

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,

that lord of Castamere,

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,

and not a soul to hear.[4]

-Renly. Renly's death by Melissandre's child, his assassination in the silence of his tent.

-Robb. The red wedding.

-Balon. Theories of him being killed by a Faceless Man (see Theories section); falling from a bridge, with 'no one there to hear.'

Archived