Titled chapters

Ko Rakharo

Don't you think the chapters with descriptive titles in lieu of the POV names kind of defy the standard set up by the earlier novels? I mean, it feels weird George resorted to that after five novels-worth three novels had been written. We could very well have had chapters named "Areo", "Asha", "Aeron", "Arys", etc.

Do you think it was a good change, or something messy as certain chapters were still titled in POV-name form? Was there any good reason to do so?

I certainly thought that the descriptive titles thing was a little weird as I was flipping through the book before getting started. I began with the assumption that those chapters were for minor charactors who mattered more for their role (and what that enabled them to see) than for something intrinsic about them. I am beginning to doubt that assumption, but we won't really know who was major and who was minor and why until the series concludes.

Well, from what I can see they are all "minor following major" characters like Catelyn was for watching Robb, or Davos is for watching Stannis in books 2 and 3.

I just think that it was a bit like a sudden pattern change since we saw naught of it in books 1 through 3.

You could be right about Dorne, but in the Iron Islands the chapters are pretty much revolving around Victarion and Aeron anyway. Also, they are recurring.

I've read further on, and also didn't like how Sansa suddenly changes to Alayne in the chapter titles. (Unless GRRM renamed Arya chapters to Nobody chapters in ADwD.)

Archived