Glass candle's might be remains of a failed attempt at forging a lightbringer?

Waters Gate

The First Azir Ahai made 3 attempts at forging lightbringer, first 2 attempts failed and the swords shattered or broke upon trying to temper it, 3rd resulted in lightbringer of which its location is unconformed and theorized about. Could it be that there would be remains of the first 2 try's?

Now this is an idea i have been playing with regarding the glass candle's. Given their discription, i find them quite compellingly interresting as a tool for fighting others, here is what we know about them:

- made of obsidian

- edges sharp as razors

- about 3 feet long each, the size of a good sword really

- giving of magical light

When you consider it, even if these glass candle's were never intended to use against others, they do seem like perfect weapons to use agaisnt others. Certain properties of these obsidian candle's raise some questions.

- First of all is the combination of size and their age. Obsidian "blade's" of 3 feet long are actually very difficult to create, typicly obsidian weapons in history were far smaller single blade's or a combination of little sharp pieces atached to a wooden "blade". this is because obsidian is usually rather breakable, one would think that if you let a piece of 3 feet long obsidian fall to the ground from a few meters that it will shatter to pieces. The glass candle's though have survived for century's already, even when often being handled in the dark by acolyte's at the citadel who then cut their fingers on it. So there was never an acolyte that let one slip to the point that a piece broke off? Acfourse these glass candle's are not just ordinary pieces of obsidian, we know that they are magical by their lightgiving property's so it could be considered that they are also much more durable than ordinary obsidian. That then leaves us basicly with the knowledge that their exist such a thing as a stronger, different, magical kind of obsidian of which the glass candle's are possibly example's?

- As to their magical lights, afcourse from the onset it seems like basicly a handy thing to have during a long night, however dark the night might be youre unlikely to ever meet others in daylight so having a light giving swords alsways seems usefull in such cases. But lightbringer does have that "light" in it's name and although it might just aswell be a metaphore, i have theorized that the lightgiving property's of lightbringer must probably be important for the idea that the sword is needed to safe the world from darkness. But there is something about the nature of the light it brings out and how others gmove about during the darkness that i want to draw attention too:

"The glass candles of the Citadel give off an unpleasantly bright light and does strange things to colors (white was bright as fresh fallen snow, yellow shone like gold , reds turned to flame, and shadows were so black that they looked like holes in the world"

it has been said on the others and been discribed in the books that: "They wear reflective armour that shifts in colour with every step"

I get the impression that the strange things glass candle's does to colors has something to do with the colour shifting armour that others use, as if a colourchanging sword is a counter to a potentially very powerfull colorshifting armour that others use. Maybe the others can be way more stealthy than they have been so far in the books, though at points its desribed how extremely difficult it is to see them aproaching in the night trough the forrest, but when they are seen it's usually because a white walker choose to be seen or presented its target a glimse of him before he would kill him.

Then if white walkers can be that stealthy obsidian weapons per se don't become the obvious game changer yet, you still need these magical weapons as lightbringer is described to be one to be able to deafeat the darkness/others.

But in conclusion, the glass candle's of the citadel seem like good blade's to use against others, better what i could find so far in the Asoiaf world. There are multiple of these glass candle's though, so you wouldn't think them to be a candidate for "The lightbringer". They do look like they could be pieces of a failed attempt though, maybe i will ever find hints in the text of lightbringers creation to hint to this, but that far i havn't gotten yet with this. Any helpfull input is afcourse appreciated, so are oppinions on it.

Archived