Varys historically influenced by Zhao Gao?

General Kanki

Not sure how I feel about this...

I wish I could draw, then I could make a pastiche of that scene: Varys in his perfumed, powdery glory, and Aegon in black and red, screaming. He can even jump and be caught mid air, there are dragons in the story after all.

Pretty certain Varys is an eunuch he just theatrically emphasises his appearance according to the character he's playing, thus "Varys" speaks softly, lisps and pats his face with powder, wears noticeable floral perfume and dresses in fine slightly feminine clothing, the black cells jailer on the other hand is badly shaven, speaks with a deeper voice, and rougher tones, dresses crude and roughly and smells of... Eau de crap... Let's not forget Varys started life as a mummer these are just tricks of the trade.

This comment reminds me, how much of what we know of Varys is present in Zhao's story? Just the outline, or the details as well?

I am not sure GRRM would have heard of the guy, but even if he did, I am interested in which parts could have served as inspiration, and which must have come from elsewhere.

Archived