Prince that was Promised VS Azor Ahai

So I was wondering a lot about this. It just never seems to fit in my head. I know most people use both tittles indifferently, and it is normally assumed that they are the same person.

But are they?

And who are they too?

I was wondering a lot about Dany's chapter in the house of the undying... when Rhaegar has Aegon and says that "his is the song of ice and fire. He is the prince that was promised". And then he says there should be "one more". And like Dany has cleverly observed... Rhaegar had an Aegon, he had a Rhaenys... all she needed was a Visenya... And the Dragon would have 3 heads again, just like their ancestor. Then Maester Aemon also regrets before he dies that he is too old and that he should be counceling Dany, for she is the Prince(ss) that was promised, and the dragon should have 3 heads (again mentioned) and that she needs his help.

So what I interpret from this, is that "The prince that was promised" had been prophecised in Ancient Valyria, probably pre-doom (since it is a very old propechy), and that he would have been born when a star bled, among smoke and salt, etc, etc.

What really baffles me... If Rhaegar had indeed found this prophecy, and he indeed believed Aegon to have been tPtwP... why did he leave behind Aegon and Rhaenys? why did he send the cream of his Kingsguard to protect Lyanna (and likely their baby) at the tower of joy? It just does not seem to fit inside my head.

And then we have Jon... and melisandre's constant hints on him being Azor Ahai... I think all the facts point to Jon becoming AA (with no need to elaborate, since many people had done it very well before). And the AA prophecy comes from Ashai, not Valyria.

Then on the Prince twp prophecy there is a lot about "3 heads". On the AA prophecy there is a lot about Lightbringer.

Maybe they are the same prophecy addapted by each culture... but maybe not.

So I was wondering... could they turn out to be two different characters in the end? One AA, the other TpTwP?

Maybe Jon is AA..... maybe Dany is TpTwp, like maester Aemon judged. She meets all the requirements: she has THREE dragons, she is the child of THREE... she is of the blood of the dragon, the bleeding star marked the birth of her dragons, etc,etc.

I mean, the signs are there... of course that everyone thinks that the signs are meant for THEM (like GRRM explained)... but the possibility exists.

Any thoughts on this?

i don't think the prince that was prommised will be a girl, would be to much of a f'u to the readers who spend month en years trying to make sence of it all, AA could be a girl ( i know it looks like jon now) but the AA in the story was a man, but it is just a name en the man in the story is not in this on.

if the prince can be a female en every one can name them self king if they got the coin it will be difficult to say who this promised person will be.

i do like AA beeing a girl, as i dont recal beeing stated aa will be a man, just that he was a man. or am i misreading, they do say stuf like " he will come again" but could be thats just inference.

i never thoth they should be the same person btw, but could be...

im not sure, is there 1 magic whit diferend ways to use it ? then it should be the same person. if there are differend en distinct ( sorts/ forms/ speacies) of magic it is likely they are not the same person but avarars of the magic that predicted them. or is that bonkers?

yeah the gender thing was not much of a big deal for this topic lol. I just said it was possible, since Maester Aemon said so, and stated tha "dragons had no gender". But my real goal was to discuss weather if AA and tPtwP are the same person.

One thing for sure, is that it was prophesiced that tptwp would come from the descendents of Aerys II. So that leaves just danny as a surviving descendant... unless R plus L equals J

• 4 weeks later...

Explanation for leaving Rhaenys and Aegon behind. He didn't think anyone would dare harm them, and with Aegon being (in Rhaegar's mind) TPtwP, there was no chance he wouldn't live. A simple matter of prince logic. He undoubtedly thought Elia and the children were well protected inside the Red Keep. Lyanna and the baby out in the wilderness of Dorne on the other hand would need guarding.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived