The fate of Podrick Payne

Firewallcano

Also, I would like to mention that it might be in the BWB's best interest to keep Pod alive for a little while, as he has had access to a plethora of information, while he served as squire to the Hand of the King, that could have some relevance and might be of use to the brotherhood. It would be rash to just kill him like they were about to. Hopefully they realize the value Pod could be to them.

He is searching for Tyrion, while Brienne is searching for Sansa. The level of devotion to Brienne isn't necessarily any more than he had for Tyrion, it is just fresher with her. If Jaime does in fact wind up killing Brienne, Pod will have had a front row seat to witness exactly how the situation unfolded. I don't think it is inappropriate to think that he will realize that Jaime had no other option than to kill or be killed, and that it was a deceitful situation he was lured into, only to have that one option.

I would think it would be an honor to be a squire to a knight of the kingsguard, especially the most famous current member of the kingsguard. Moreover, Pod has an objectively better chance of finding Tyrion if he's traveling with his brother than if he were traveling with some random woman.

Pod cares about Brienne. He even likes sleeping in the same room with her (and did not like having to sleep away from her at the Quiet Isle). They are friends. Pod wants to be near Brienne. He wants to protect her.

There is nothing that foreshadows Pod becoming Jaime's squire after Jaime kills Brienne. It's simply a crack theory without a shred of evidence to support it. Again, I doubt that Pod would forgive the murder of one of the few friends he's ever had. I doubt he would serve her murderer. No true and loyal squire would do such a thing.

Archived