How did Varys manage to stay in the small council for so long?

fellow reader

Read my reply above your own. You cannot trust him if he reports to others as well.

Well, they think it's part of his job sometimes. In order to get some information, sometimes you have to give some. One can actually still do that and be loyal. However, that of course isn't the case with Varys. But, they think the extent to which he might do it it not necessarily harmful.

Of course, though, they are all just being foolish. The Others are coming, and so is winter, and they start a civil war and give the two most treasonous people in Westeros seats on the high council. Whatever Gods are watching are of course laughing.

Cersei said: "You think you’re the only one he whispers secrets to? He gives each of us just enough to convince us that we’d be helpless without him. He played the same game with me, when I first wed Robert. For years, I was convinced I had no truer friend at court, but now ..."

If he gives information to someone else beside you, he is untrustworthy as your Master of Whisperers. He should only report to you and he should not hold anything back and he should not report anything to the other side. That would be betrayal.

Cersei replaced him because he had disappeared, not because she wanted someone more trustworthy.

Cersei is not the King. He is not obliged to her, but to Robert, or later Joffrey and Tommen.

Archived