Do FM change face when the moon does?

Waters Gate

In the house of black and white, Arya has to meet with the Kindly man every 30 days when the moon turns, Basicly when the moon goes black. The FM are rather engaged in moon related religion and symbology, with their moon door, being in a city with moonsingers, and their procedure's that follow the turning of the moon.

I wondered if the face changing abilety of the FM had something to do with the moon "changing face" every 30 days, and if in fact Fm might only be able to change face every new moon?

I don't think so, my impression was that they can change faces whenever necessary as part of their job or to protect themselves (see Jaq'en). It wouldn't make a lot of sense to be a worldclass assassin with a magical ability to disappear by putting on a stranger's face if you had to wait 30 days to do so.

No. The Kindly Man makes Arya come back after 29/30 days because he wants her to learn more about assimilating in Braavos (and perhaps the other free cities as well), which includes learning their language. The best way for a person to learn a language is to speak it with those who do, believe me I know. Also, when she was Cat of Canals and going back to the temple every month, she retained her face. We don't know what the moon was like when Jaqen changed his face at Harrenhall or when he changed it to Pate's or even when Arya changed her face to Mercy's, I think.

But yes, Arya seems to be associated with the moon, which I think is kind of a reference to when Ned said that while she and Sansa were as different as the sun and the moon, they needed each other.

• 4 weeks later...

But yes, Arya seems to be associated with the moon, which I think is kind of a reference to when Ned said that while she and Sansa were as different as the sun and the moon, they needed each other.

Thank you for reminding me of this. It's a "thing" I'm pretty sure. Just please don't ask me what it means.

Archived