TWOIAF Spoilers: Ice dragon

Well I think you know the Trident theory you wrote is still one of my favs. Though there are some things that perplex me, not with your theory but in the current discussion, I have been rethinking certain aspects of what I write about.

I fully support the inverse parallels I look at it as a strong broad strokes tool on parallels though like any theory it is not going to give you exact details on what Martin does. I consider it something to help other theories rather than an actual theory itself so that is where I apply it most often is on other theories. I consider Jon and the trident to be strong support for the unity of opposition, Jon is not symbolic of destruction, but rather is often depicted as a conciliator or conciliation. Which is why I look at destruction theories with a questionable eye, water is associated with Ragnarok, but in this book has the womb of the world a symbol of life.

So when I look at the colors I have some questions. We have seen the colors depicted in the stars. The Blue Star of the Dragon rider, the Red comet and the Green falling star. Like the title I don't apply one meaning to them, but it is green that has me curious. A usurper perhaps, but I also associate it with the children. Mostly because of that scene when Dunk sees it, and you have the singers and the trees and the star is at it's end and the sun is setting. But I could not figure out why usurper until I realized Bloodraven did just that, just not for himself.

Thanks. :) I definitely think there is something going on there, though I'm keeping an open mind about possible interpretations. As I mentioned up thread, it could be the three dynasties, or the three heads of the dragon. It could also represent, say, the Others, dragons, and men and/or CotF. Or, maybe even some combination of all of those things.

I think your inverse parallel idea works quite well. Probably too well to be coincidence. And like you say, not a theory but more of a guide. In fact, I came up with an idea that makes good use of it. In case you haven't seen it, here is the link.

Do you mean from THK? Wrt to the "usurper" comment. As I said above, I think there is definitely something to that analysis, though I'm not convinced it is the ultimate answer, as much as part of a bigger concept.

Archived