Barrow kings curse made the others

FreySlayer

Twoiaf spoilers

First time poster sorry not to label spoiler correctly.

Did anyone see this passage and think others?

"The old tales recorded in Kennet’s Passages of the Dead claim that a curse was placed on the Great Barrow that would allow no living man to rival the First King. This curse made these pretenders to the title grow corpselike in their appearance as it sucked away their vitality and life."

• 1 month later...

Despite how the show depicts the Others, I never pictured them as being "corpselike". I'm pretty sure GRRM described them as being beautiful in an otherworldly sort of way. I always imagined them as being pretty. And icy. And scary.

Perhaps there's something here regarding the wights, though....

• 3 weeks later...

Bump and comment:

Many of the Starks comment on dreams of Winterfell, and a great feast where all the dead Starks back to the Kings of Winter make merry.

There's also the tradition that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell, and that the castle is old enough for magic.

In WoIaF, we hear that the Starks defeat and kill the Barrow Kings- and then marry their last daughter. Perhaps the Starks inherited the magic, creating the Stark afterlife we see? And perhaps they're protected by the "sapping" if one stays in Winterfell?

It might even supply why the Starks have few daughters (the Winter Rose is rarest)- impact of the blood magic implied in the old curse.

Or it's a story.

Archived