Targaryens Battled Beyond The Wall?

In AWOIAF, I came across this passage about Viserys I:

"On the third day of the third moon of 129 AC, while entertaining Jaehaerys and Jaehaera from his bed with a tale of their great-great-grandsire and his queen battling giants, mammoths, and wildlings beyond the Wall, the king grew tired."

So that tale would have been about King Jaehaerys I. This is the first mention I've seen of this story. In fact, it's the first I can remember of any Targaryen being beyond the wall let alone battling.

Am I just completely wrong and this is old news?

Is there more that we know about this tale?

What if any implications does this have on ASOIAF?

So apparently there was mention of it in The Rouge Prince. I'll have to re-read it. Still, if Dany is ever to go beyond The Wall, it would be interesting to learn more about this presedent. Especially since it includes Allysane who also was a huge proponent of The Night's Watch apparently, having paid for the castle at Deep Lake to be built and helping to negotiate the New Gift. There has to be more of import to their history in the North.

I think it's mentioned in the Rouge Prince, but the battle was "at the Wall". Perhaps the line from AWOIAF means the wildlings and others were FROM beyond the Wall, rather than the battle was fought beyond the Wall.

I think it's said that Alysanne travelled everywhere on her dragon, but specifically "to" the Wall, or "at" the Wall - no mention of beyond the Wall I think.

This might not mean anything, or maybe dragons can't cross the Wall to go north like the Others can't cross to come south.

It's just a story the guy made up for his grandchildren. Nothing more.

That's what I initially thought as well, just a bedtime story. I feel like if there was any sort of battle at the wall with the Targs it would have been mentioned in their section of the World Book, and it was not. I'm sure if they did participate in a battle they would have advertised that.

It wouldn't of been fighting really, unless the giants developed huge bows and arrows (as per the show), it would have just been lots of burning men, giants, and mammoths.

Imagine how happy a large dragon would be to discover mammoths though? Biggest least boniest meal ever

Archived