WW crackpot

Total off the wall thought that I'm curious enough about to share. The world book kept hinting at the possibility of a race of beings living under the ocean. Some people have even argued that they'll reappear in the novels as either "dead things in the water" or a manifestation of the Drowned God. Is it possible that the Others are the remnants of this civilization? I'm thinking along the lines of an ancient water bred civilization that either died out, or more tantalizing, were killed off, and the last remaining vestige of which fled to the only place no one would look for them in the freezing far north? In doing so they embraced ice over water becoming the WW's? I realize this is insane and I offer no evidence other than the sheer amount of references to the possibility of "deep ones". Could the IronBorn gods have once been real, ruling from the seastone chair, having forsaken their subjects for the frozen isolation in tLoAW? TWoiaF certainly gave the impression that the deep ones were evil personified. Bran saw something in his vision that sounded like pure evil. I can't get past how much the WW's seemed to enjoy cruelly killing Royce in the original prologue. Re-read it and take note of the sadistic pleasure with which they teased him before gang stabbing him to death. GRRM distracts the reader at first by having them seem honorable in giving Royce a one on one duel, but after his sword breaks they actually laugh like Bond villains and butcher an unarmed man. Sorry I've blathered on long enough any thoughts would be appreciated.

I do think that we will see some underwater stuff going on. I don't know if it is the white walkers, or it could be that they can also reanimate dead fish in the sea. Also, I didn't get the impression that they were sadistic :/ rather that they wanted to see if the NW could still mount a defense against them in single combat. When it became clear they couldn't, they made quick work.

There is lots of fish and seal symbolism on the Iron Islands and the Three Sisters. Providing the differing culture of the iron born, but still traces of First Men culture, I'd say that ironborn descend from FM taken as thralls by merlings/selkies/squishers or whatever the underwater race is, and that's their purpose, not WW.

The Children of the forest are usually golden eye, but occasionally a green eyed one appears (green seers), red eyed children are born (wood dancers? Blood sacrifices?) and my theory is that sometimes blue eyed ones are born. But given the knowledge (from the show however) that WW can convert humans, that leaves me stranded at sea.

Archived