Theory Chain...

Nymeria_Stark

SO... I've been all over these forums, and I've been introduced to many different and similar theories about the story, the characters, and the possible future of Westeros/Essos. I've come to notice that a bunch of theories are related, like how the proposition of one theory can bring up loads of questions... so here goes!

THE THEORY:

R+L=J --- meaning, Jon is (supposedly) the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark

POSSIBLE QUESTIONS:

Is he a bastard or legitimate?

Did Rhaegar have an affair with Lyanna or did he claim her as a second wife?

If he did take her as his wife, Jon would be their legitimate son, making him a contender for the Iron Throne in the name of House Targaryen.

Did Jon die from those stabs at the end of ADWD or is he alive?

If he survives, he's still bound by his NW vows. BUT if he dies, and wargs into Ghost until Melisandre revives him, then he was bound to his oath until the hour of his death. SO if he was pronounced dead before his revival, that JUST MIGHT relieve him of his vows, which would mean he's eligible to claim the IT if he's legitimate!

OKAY... Now, my challenge for Y'ALL is to pick a theory and come up with related questions/theories to form a chain!

GOOD LUCK!!

The thing is with "did rhaegar and lyanna marry", there is no need for them to marry. Jon has been legitimized by robb, he's now Jon Targaryen by Robb stark. So there is no reason for the story to have had rhaegar take lyanna as his second wife (that in itself has some flaws).

But back on topic.

The theory - Frey pies

Possible questions - Will wyman now become a giant rat who can only eat his young?

Or does the previous broken guest right cancel this one out?

Wyman specifically made sure that the Freys were no longer under guest right (they were given parting gifts to denote their leave of his hospitality). As such, it was a betrayal of an alliance, but not a betrayal of guest right. Thus no rat-fate.

Theory: Euron = Daario

Question: What would this even achieve if Daario already had a good shot of marrying Dany from (il advised) love for him. Why bother sending the Iron Fleet and not being there?

This is a great idea. I've notived patterns as well. I'll give it a try...

I think most interconnected theories are linked with the three heads of the dragons and baby swaps.

For instance: if Ageon is a Blackfyre and the "mummer's dragon" then he may not be one of the three heads. So we would have Dany, most likely Jon and... A third one. Tyrion as Aerys's bastard is a plausible contender. It could also be someone else of course. Another half-Targ?

But... If Tyrion is Aerys's bastard and one of the heads, then Jon would be the only one who is not a child of Aerys. Which kind of questions R+L=J and gives credence to the idea that A+L=J.

On the other hand, if R+L=J and Jon's song is that of ice and fire, does this mean that Dany is not TPtwP and must become his opponent? Or is Dany even who she appears to be?

Same thing with the idea that Dany is AA/TPtwP. If so, does Jon become a new Night's King?

There's also the idea that Ashara's child with a Stark survived. If so who is (s)he? Could it be one of the characters we know? How many children really survived Robert's Rebellion, and what role will each play?

There are also ideas with Quaithe being Shiera Seastar. If so is the working with or against her former lover Bloodraven? If Quaithe is influencing Dany, does this mean Bloodraven is influencing both Bran and Jon? And to what ends? Are they pitting ice and fire against each other?

Interesting theories link the Ironborn to "dark" magic (or customs), and Euron is linked to the warlocks. So does this mean the IB will side with "the night" ? Similar questions can be asked about the Boltons.

You have many theories linking the Starks and Winter, and with the Others. Can the Starks control the Others? Is Winterfell itself a nexus of magic in the North? But if this is true, will a Stark become either King of Winter or the Night's King? Could it be Jon? Bran? Even Rickon? Will the Starks fight one another?

If a Faceless Man seeks a book to kill dragons in the Citadel, does this mean Braavos will help Dany's opponents? Do the FM have their own agenda? The same could be asked of the Maesters. Or of the Church of Starry Wisdom.

If Dany is the Amethyst Empress reborn, must she oppose the Bloodstone Emperor reborn? Would that be Jon? And if so, will history repeat itself, or on the contrary, must the brother sacrifice himself for his sister to end the second Long Night?

If the Wall falls, doesn't this mean that the Others must be defeated once and for all in the end? Or will another Wall be rebuilt?

And one of my favorites: if the Heart of Summer has become the Shadow and is a source of power for fire/shadow magic (for the red priests and shadowbinders), and if the Heart of Winter is the source of power for ice magic and the Others, how does one restore balance to the world? Does someone have to destroy the Heart of Winter? Will Dany sacrifice her dragons to neutralize fire magic?

As you see, it's easy to draw links and parallels between countless elements: the prophecies of AA/TPtwP, the three heads, ice and fire and balance, the elements and "magical" families... Characters may be divided into separate camps: ice&fire, light&darkness... But in the end, if balance must be restored, characters could also have to fight their own nature to stop the war. They could end up fighting their own allies. Sacrifices may be necessary.

I'm certain that one could try to imagine different scenarios with each character going one way or the other. Right now there are plenty of combinations. I'm looking forward to the next book eliminating most of them.

Archived