Ser Arthur Dayne perhaps alive....

Blackphillip

At the very least there is much much more to House Dayne than I think most people realize.  

So why would he still be alive?  

*He was brother of the woman that Ned Stark truly loved, Ashara Dayne.  These two fell in love at the Tourney of Harrenhall, and I suspect that her still born daughter was fathered by Ned Stark.

*Being best friends with Rhaegar, Dayne was at the Tower of Joy to protect *Jon Snow* and Neds sister, Lyanna Stark.  So Ned and Ser Arthur fought to the death because they had identical reasons to fight to the death?  Nope.  Ned is famous for his honor.  Dayne knew that Ned would die to save his own sister and nephew.  It just makes absolutely no sense.

*Howland Reed is Lord of the Crannogmen.  Like the paragon Crannogman.  Crannogmen being well known for their use of poison.  Almost certainly including poisons that can well simulate death.  Reed being super tight with Stark, it is not implausable that both were of the same mind in terms of "wtf are we fighting Dayne for?  He wants to protect Lyanna, we want to protect Lyanna, is it really right to friken just kill one of the most honorable men in Westros over essentially nothing???".

*The Tower of Joy and Starfall are in close proximity.  Close enough to safely transport a subdued (via Crannog poison) but alive Ser Arthur Dayne under the guise of "returning the Dayne ancestral sword to Starfall".

*Ashara leaps to her death.  If Dayne is dead, that could be one reason.  But GRRM gives us others, such as her stillborn daughter and Ned Stark (love of her life) shutting her down because he is a honorbound husband to his dead brothers wife which he doesn't love (dammit Cat!!).  

Now the huge thing about that whole region, those characters, and that time is R+L= J.  But that is sooo obvious and most of us, satisfied, stop there.  

Methinks there is way more crucial plot going on there than what we guess.  Just too many loose ends.

What do you guys think?  Any merit to this or am I just reaching?

Archived