Watchers on the Walls: Part VI My days here are done

northern_amnesia

Hi everyone! this is the sixth and last part of a this very long theory that had 6 parts, the purpose  was to prove Jon Snow’s identity, and why it matters.

“How do you like that music, Mance? How do you like the taste of the Dornishman’s wife? “Do we have anyone hurt?” he asked. – Jon VIII – ASoS

1) The Dornishman’s Wife

“As the last strains of “The Dornishman’s wife” faded, the bald earless man glanced up from his map and scowled ferociously at Rattleshirt and Ygritte, with Jon between them. “What’s this?” he said. “A crow?” . Jon I ASoS

It’s time talk about Jon’s secret weapon. I said in the previous part that “naked Steel” is a reference to a threat. I also said that Jon has weapons “more powerful” than his valyrian steel sword and also much more useful: he knows how to read, write, and lie.

“See, lad, that’s why he’s king and I’m not. I can outdrink, outfight, and outsing him, and my member’s thrice the size o’ his, but Mance has cunning. He was raised a crow, you know, and the crow’s a tricksy bird.” Jon I ASoS

Jon is a wolf and wolves are cunning. Jon is also a crow, and crows are “tricksy” birds.

All this has a very practical application that is seen in the “Bastard Letter” and Jon’s reaction to the letter.

When the letter arrives, Jon has a very curious comment:

“Jon Snow did not answer at once. “Mully, help Clydas back to his chambers. The night is dark, and the paths will be slippery with snow. Satin, go with them.” He handed Tormund Giantsbane the letter. “Here, see for yourself.”

Jon shows Tormund the letter, a letter that is literally a threat, the letter is the “naked Steel”, the sword. He also sends Mully and Satin to accompany Clydas because the paths “will be slippery with snow”. So, he knows that the result of the letter’s content is going to be “snow falling“.

The letter was written for “Jon’s eyes only” and using a secret language, such as the message Cat receives the night that is decided that Jon has to go to the NW or the “secret language” that Dany uses with her husband to decide Viserys’ luck. It is clear that the secret language is a family thing, and that the result is someone dying.

The “Pink Letter” is in fact a secret “dueling with words”.

“Did Brandon speak of me too?” “Often, and with some heat,” Ned said, hoping that would end it. He had no patience with this game they playedthis dueling with words.” Eddard IV – AGoT

Ned was clearly not a patient man, but Brandon waited for fifteen very long years, surely that once reunited with his son, he could wait a few more days and play a little game with his “sharp sword”.

“Snow?” said Tormund Giantsbane. “You look like your father’s bloody head just rolled out o’ that paper.” Jon XIII – AdwD

It’s exactly his “father’s head” what just rolled out of that letter.

The code to decipher the letter is in two places, the Night’s Watch full oath, and Winterfell’s crypt.

The “bastard letter” is, in fact, a “love letter.

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come”

The Night’s Watch oath is made up of two parts, the first are the vows and the second a reference to those vows:

1.    I shall take no wife: I am the sword in the darkness

2.   Hold no lands: I am the watcher on the walls

3.    Father no children: I am the fire that burns against the cold

4.    I shall wear no crowns: the light that brings the dawn

5.    Win no glory: the horn that wakes the sleepers

6.   I shall live and die at my post: the shield that guards the realms of men

Now we can decipher the letter:

“Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king’s friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard.

Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

Ramsey Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell

a) The sword in the darkness

“Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.”

The first part of the letter refers to: “I am the sword in the darkness” and “I shall take no wife”.

This reference in turn symbolizes the Winterfell crypt, where each Stark is buried alone with a sword “in the darkness”.

When the author says “false King” is that he speaks of a man who is not a king, in the context of the letter, the Night’s Watch and the crypt he is a dead Lord.

“His host” refers to Tormund, who is called “father of hosts” although Tormund had only 3 childrentwo boys and a girl, and that is the key to this part. “Smashed in seven” talks about 7 things. Taking into account the reference to “sword”, “dead”, the number 7 and the number 3, the second reference is Qhorin Halfhand that had 7 fingers. Qhorin was Jon’s and Mance’s “brother”, and his missing fingers were those of his right hand.

Following the logic, the mention of “magic sword” is Jon’s direwolf Ghost, who helped him kill Qhorin. So, we have a direwolf.  

The “red whore” is not Melisandre, but the “dornishman’s wife“, the song that Mance was singing when Jon met him and that talks about a married woman that sleeps with another man, so she is a “red whore”, a cheater. Furthermore, the “red whore” is a second reference to Jon, who “was married” with the NW and still slept with Ygritte “kissed by fire”.

Mance told Jon about Ygritte: “Far be it from me to separate two hearts that beat as one.”

So, this part of the letter speaks of: a dead Lord Starka “smashed host”, 2 boys and a girl, brothers, direwolves, the dornishman’s wife, a right hand, and “kissed by fire”

So basically, he’s talking about the 3 statues in the crypt (two men and a woman), the “unique event” of 3 dead Starks that are together even when two of them shouldn’t have statues.  

They are the “smashed” host of 3 direwolves, two boys and a “girl”.

·        The dead Lord, is clearly Lord Rickard

·        Brandon is the Ghost as I mentioned in part V and as Jon already knows.

·        The “girl” is the “dornishman’s wife” whose right hand was “kissed by fire” as Mance knows since he saw Jon’s hand the night they met in the Frostfangs:

“The king poured himself as Dalla cut the well-crisped hens apart and brought them each a half. Jon peeled off his gloves and ate with his fingers, sucking every morsel of meat off the bones”. Jon I ASoS

The whole letter uses the same code: a vow and the statues from the crypt.

This part, in turn, it’s supposed to make Jon remember the 3 NW brother’s heads he found shoved in the 3 spears, weeping blood. So, again is pointing to “spears”, meaning Dorne (the red whore), and 3 heads, that are actually Rickard’s statue and the two that are with him, all of them men, even when one of them is “dressed as a woman”.

b) The watcher on the walls

“Your false king’s friends are deadTheir heads upon the walls of WinterfellCome see them, bastard.”

This part refers to “I am the watcher on the walls“, which corresponds to the vow “hold no lands

In the crypt there are two lines of Stark, on one side are the kings, on the other the Lords, those are “the king’s friends” because they share the crypt and the watch, so “false king’s friends” is a reference to false Lord’s friends. The letter mentions Winterfell, so those are the “lands” it refers to.

The mention “come see them” refers to “watcher“. So, it means there’s a “false watcher”, but since the letter uses the plural “friends” and “see them”, it means that there is more than one “false watcher”.

The crypt has at least one statue that shouldn’t be there, Lyanna’s, and since the previous part spoke of Rickard, Brandon and the “dornishman’s wife” which was a clear reference to Jon and the three “black brothers”, it’s clear that is telling that the 2 “false watchers” are the siblings Brandon and Lyanna, neither of them ever “hold Winterfell”, neither of them died as Lord of Winterfell. Furthermore, the NW doesn’t take women, as the Starks don’t bury women with statues, that’s only for the Lords and the Kings.

In turn, the previous part made pretty clear that the one who wrote the letter is Mance, since he knows about Qhorin, Tormund, Yrgitte and Jon’s burned hand, therefore, Mance has to be a Stark since it’s also obvious that he knows the cript.

The clue here is “come see them”:

You were just a boy, and I was all in black, (…) I was walking the wall around the yard when I came on you and your brother Robb. “I remember,” said Jon with a startled laugh. A young black brother on the wallwalk, yes . . . “You swore not to tell.” Jon I ASoS

The “watcher on the walls” that came to see Jon is his father, the “false watcher” in the crypt, Brandon Stark, as Jon has long suspected but refused to believe it.

c) The fire that burns against the cold

“Your false king lied, and so did youYou told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me. I will have my bride back.

I am the fire that burns against the cold” corresponds to the vow “father no children

This part talks about two lies, a King and “the bride”. It’s clearly talking about Bael’s song.

Let’s start with the most obvious, it wasn’t Jon who lied about Mance and his death, it was Melisandre. So, there must be a lie told by the “false king”, Lord Brandon, the daughterless.   

The first lie is about the “bride“. What Jon stole was Dalla’s son to save him from Melisandre’s fires. So, it’s clear that the second lie is that the child that Jon sent with Sam was Mance’s son, his only son is the “bride”, the “dornishman’s wife”, which honors the vow “father no children”, Brandon only had one son, Jon.

Now, concerning the son, Winterfell and stealing, is pretty clear that it was Brandon who sent Benjen to “steal” Jon to get him out of there.

In fact, the night Benjen “stole” Jon, “Mance” was in Winterfell and saw this:

“There were times—not many, but a few—when Jon Snow was glad he was a bastard. As he filled his wine cup once more from a passing flagon, it struck him that this might be one of them. He settled back in his place on the bench among the younger squires and drank. The sweet, fruity taste of summerwine filled his mouth and brought a smile to his lips.” Jon I AGoT

The reference to “passing” cup makes you think of this:

“Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King’s Hand and a father to queensI never asked for this cup to pass to me.” Catelyn II – AGoT

“Father to queens” is again a reference to the “bride”, the Stark “maiden” Jon Snow.

Let’s go back to the letter.

The identity of the “bride” is explained in the context of the letter (the “red whore” or Dornishman’s wife), Jon’s story and obviously the crypt.

The third statue is supposed to be Lyanna’s, although it is actually Jon. “The bride” that the letter demands is Jon, which is only logical considering that the statues of Brandon and “Lyanna” look like a couple, “two hearts that beat as one”, or a 3 headed Stark if you think of them in terms of dragons.

There are 3 clues: 2 lies, fire and bride: meaning that the first lie is that Dalla’s child was Mance’s, the second lie is the identity of the “bride”, the person that the letter demands is Jon.

d) The light that brings the dawn

If you want Mance Rayder backcome and get himI have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.”

“The light that brings the dawn” corresponds to the vow “I shall wear no crowns”

There are no more references to “false kings” because he’s talking directly to Jon about a deserter.

The mention of “proof of lies” is a reference to something that Mance and Jon talked about when they met:

“You were just a boy, and I was all in black, (…) I was walking the wall around the yard when I came on you and your brother Robb. It had snowed the night before, and the two of you had built a great mountain above the gate and were waiting for someone likely to pass underneath.” “I remember,” said Jon with a startled laugh. A young black brother on the wallwalk, yes . . . “You swore not to tell.” Jon I ASoS

The young man “walking the wall around the yard” is the very image of a caged animal, not to mention that “I came on you” and “snow”, makes you think of “winter is coming” the Stark words, and direwolves, and that’s the point.

The point is for Jon to remember the day that he and Robb found the direwolves, when Ned beheaded the deserter.

Clearly the “cage for all the north to see” was to name Jon as the bastard “for all the north to see”. The proof that he isn’t is the “warm cloak” he received (Ghost) along with the 6 “whores” who went with him to Winterfell, that is, the she-wolf and the 5 cubs. Furthermore, the excuse that Jon gave “Mance” to convince him that he was a turncloak, a deserter, is that his family had set him apart:

“And did you see where I was seated, Mance?” He leaned forward. “Did you see where they put the bastard?” Mance Rayder looked at Jon’s face for a long moment. “I think we had best find you a new cloak,” the king said, holding out his hand.” Jon I ASoS

As for Ghost, it’s pretty clear that Mance was “waiting for someone likely to pass underneath” which means, he was waiting for a NW brother to cross the wall at the black gate so the she-wolf could go to Winterfell.

Lastly: “did you see where I was seated” is a very clear clue about his statue in the crypt, and “we had best find you a new cloak” is about his “disguise as Lyanna”.

The references are: deserter, head, warm cloak, they talk about Ghost, the wolf white as snow, and that he’s the “proof” of Jon’s “crown”.

e) The horn that wakes the sleepers

I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

The Horn that wake the sleepers” corresponds to the vow “win no glory

You swore not to tell.” “And kept my vow. That one, at least.” Jon I ASoS

“Mance” swore not to tell, and that’s exactly what this part is about, is the “silent horn” is Brandon telling Jon, but winning “no glory”.

Let’s start with the people that the letter demands, but does not name: “bride“, “false queen”, “false princess”, “red witch”, “this wildling princess”, “his little prince”, “the wildling babe”.

Without naming them the author demands, 7 people, the “bride”, 4 women and a child that the letter mentions in two different ways “little prince” and “wildling babe”.

Jon has no way of knowing that Reek is Theon, but “my reek” says the letter and who Jon sent for is “my sister.”

Jon possibly knows the story of Ramsey’s first Reek, in fact, thinking about Arya he thinks about the things he heard about the bastard, and since he had Cregan Karstark in an ice cell, he might even know about Theon.

But the intention in giving that name is for Jon to think of something else, of someone else, an “Other“. Furthermore, the idea is for Jon to follow the logic of the letter, that has been talking about 3 things in each paragraph, the 3 referring to the crypt, but now he needs to think of “other 3 not the ones he’s been thinking about.

The mention of “I will not trouble you or your black crows gives him the clue he needs to know exactly who the letter refers to.

In a meeting with Stannis in which “Mance” was present, Jon told the anecdote of how one of the Umbers got the nickname “Crowfood”, :

The Night’s Watch takes no part, Jon thought, but another voice within him said, Words are not swords. “The elder of the Greatjon’s unclesCrowfood, they call him. A crow once took him for dead and pecked out his eye. He caught the bird in his fist and bit its head off. When Mors was young he was a fearsome fighter. His sons died on the Trident, his wife in childbed. His only daughter was carried off by wildlings thirty years ago.” Jon IV ADwD

The elder of the “Greatjon’s” uncle is the one called “Crowfood”, so it’s pretty clear that Mance is the “crow” that wins no gory, he would be Jon’s “elder uncle” if Ned story were true. Ned’s sons as Mors’s are all dead (or at least presumed dead), and his daughter carried off by wildlings.

The Night’s Watch uses 3 different “calls” for “wake the sleepers” one blast is for rangers returning, two is for wildlings, and 3 is for the “Others”. The letter mentions 3 different types of people:

1. The first blast is for rangers returning, this is the “bride“, the “crow” Mance was sent by Jon, he was Jon’s eyes inside WF so the “bride” is Jon which is something that the letter already made clear, the ranger is just “replacing him”, “bringing his head” as in Bael’s song.

2. The other 4 are women and the child that is mentioned in two different ways, all of them related to the “false king” or Mance, so it’s pretty clear that these 6 are the spearwives that went with Mance posing as his family. The second blast is for wildlings

3. Three blast means Others: The only person that the letter names in this part, is “Reek” an “Other”, Reek is clearly not a name, but a nickname, like something you would call a pet or the “milk name” that wildlings give children until they grow up.

In turn, the people mentioned in the letter refer to another “horn that wake the sleepers” which is Bael’s song.

The “horn that wakes the sleepers”, that is, what awakens Lord Brandon in the song, is the baby, “the bride” that the letter demands. The boy is Bael’s son, a wildling who enters Winterfell one winter night and it is from Bael that all wildling women sing the song and the wildlings believe they share blood with the Starks. In the song the baby is not named, but it is mentioned that the NW went looking for the maiden but unsuccessfully. So, what the letter tells is that Arya is a fake and the search was unsuccessful. But that’s not all.

Reek’s name is in the letter’s threat, the “naked steel”: “I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it”.

Jon is a Stark, he is a “wolf” but not exactly the same as the others, like the boy in Bael’s song.

In his family there was another wolf that was not exactly the same as the other wolves, but not because he was a bastard but because he was a hostage, the phrase “cut your bastard’s heart and eat it” gives Jon the clue to find out all the names he needs.

“Bastard” is what Mance calls him, “I will cut your heart” is the threat that Mance promised Jon would be his punishment if he proved that he wasn’t really a “turncloack“.

“Styr scowled. “His heart may still be black.” “Then cut it out.” – Jon II – ASoS

So, “cut the heart” refers to “turncloack”, eat it, to “hungry”, that is to say, Theon:

“A few names came back to him, unbidden, whispered in the ghostly voice of Maester Luwin. King Edrick Snowbeard, who had ruled the north for a hundred years. Brandon the Shipwright, who had sailed beyond the sunsetTheon Starkthe Hungry Wolf. My namesake” The Turncloack ADWD

The identities of all those mentioned in the letter are named, the only thing you need to know is the order of the kings of the crypt, which all Starks know.

The first person, the “bride” (Jon), is Edrick “Snowbeard”.

Brandon is at the same time six people that the letter mentions: the “Little Prince”, the “wildling babe” from Bael’s song, Brandon “the daughterless” who, as in the song, just named his rewardhe just gave Jon a name: Edrick and of course is Brandon Stark, Jon’s father, who used the wildling name, Mance, the “false king” since he’s Lord Stark, and the “false king’s friend” since he is his father.

And of course, Brandon kept his promises, he never told Jon directly, and he just cut “his bastard” heart. The letter, clearly tells him that he is a Stark and that his name is Edrick.

The “other” the one that uses a “milk name”, meaning a northern name and wants to be a Stark is Theon, “the hungry Wolf”, the “turncloak”.

But it’s not Theon the person that the Letter demands in this part, Brandon is cunning.

f) The shield that guard the realms of men

“Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

The shield that guards the realms of men, corresponds to the vow I shall live and die at my post

The signature “Trueborn Lord of Winterfell” is proof that it is not Ramsey who writes, but Brandon, to his son who is not a bastard like Ramsey, but a “trueborn”.

As for the vows, they refer to the second person that the letter is demanding Jon to bring home with himOld Nan.

As Old Nan told the tale, he’d grabbed the crow in his fist and bitten its head off, so they named him Crowfood.” Bran II ACoK

Old Nan is the very image of a “guarding shield” she is the one who knew all the stories. Old Nan came to Winterfell ages ago and stayed even when her family died, and she stayed for her “little Brandon”, the “Little Prince” that the letter mentions. Brandon must have been her favorite:

“I could tell you the story about Brandon the Builder,” OldNan said. “That was always your favorite.”(…). Maybe one of the other Brandons had liked that story. Sometimes Nan would talk to him as if he were her Brandon“. Bran IV AGoT

Old Nan was stolen by Ramsey Snow, and Brandon wants her back.

The “Pink Letter” is a love letter wrote by Brandon to his son asking him to rescue his Nan all disguised like a threat.

The letter gives Jon all the information he needseverything he ever wanted to knowBut most importantit gives him a way out.

The letter honors every single promise that Brandon made to Jon:

“I’ll range for you, bastard,” Rattleshirt declared. “I’ll give you sage counsel or sing you pretty songs, as you prefer. I’ll even fight for you”

2) Do we have anyone hurt

Jon has various reactions to the letter, and most of them are not obvious:

·        He knows that Stannis is dead, even when the letter never mentions StannisBut the letter talks about the day that Jon found Ghost. This is how he knows that Stannis is dead.

·        He doesn’t think about going to rescue “Arya”, which means that he understood the reference about Bael’s song and the unsuccessful mission.

·        Jon announces that he’s going south, not to Hardhome. The task of rescuing the wildlings is assigned to Tormund, the “father of Hosts”.

·        He thinks that Ramsey is no longer in WF, which implies that whatever power the Boltons had, they lost it along with Winterfell.

·        He thinks of Ramsey as a Snow, that is, he no longer recognizes Tommen’s authority, the north has a new king. But he thinks he needs to find Ramsey, meaning he also understood that Brandon wants Old Nan back in Winterfell. It was Ramsey who took her, so he must now where she is. Jon is going south to rescue a hundred year old woman, the cutest mission ever.

·        After announcing that he is going south, he thinks that Melisandre knew of the letter and that she spoke of a “raven in a storm” but that’s not exactly what she said, what Melisandre said was:

A grey girl on a dying horseDaggers in the dark. A promised prince, born in smoke and salt. It seems to me that you make nothing but mistakes, my lady. Where is Stannis? What of Rattleshirt and his spearwives? Where is my sister?” All your questions shall be answered. Look to the skies, Lord Snow. And when you have your answers, send to me. Winter is almost upon us now. I am your only hope. “A fool’s hope.” Jon turned and left her.”   Jon XIII – AdwD

What she said was “look to the skies“, no storms and no “raven”.

Except there is a raven in a storm: “Mance donned his helm with its raven wings” (Jon X ASos)

Hours before receiving the letter, Jon looked “to the skies”: “He glanced up past the King’s Tower. The Wall was a dull white, the sky above it whiter. A snow sky“Just pray we do not get another storm.”

Mance’s last promise was “I’ll fight for you”. Jon clearly understood that it is his father “the raven” who wrote the letter and that the content is him, “fighting” for Jon, killing the bastard. Words are swords. Now, Jon must fight for his right to be who he is. But Jon is a “Wolf” and a “Crow”, wolves are “cunning” and crows are “tricksy” birds, and Jon plans to end his watch in a cunning and tricksy way.

Melisandre told to Jon “all your questions shall be answered” therefore it is understood that everything Jon wanted to know is in the letter. Let’s see then if this is indeed so:

·        A grey girl on a dying horse: I’m the sword in the darkness, I’m the watcher on the walls. The “grey girl” is actually Jon, the “dying horse” is the NW, Jon is the NW “rider” their Lord Commander. Winter (and snow) is Jon’s “sword in the darkness”, his weapon. It is the answer to “Where is Stannis” he was killed by a “wolf” or what is the same the winter that Edrick Snowbeard, the white wolf, send him to.

·        Daggers in the darkI’m the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn: it refers to Brandon and the letter, the “dagger” is actually an absolutely loving letter disguised as a threat. The hour before the dawn is “the hour of the wolf”. Is the answer to where is “Ratlleshirt”? (in Winterfell) and the “light that brings the dawn” answers the question of the “spearwives”, that is, Ygritte was the one that took him to Mance (the light), and Ashara (the dawn) the “spear” wife Jon’s mother, both of them dead. Jon’s path to met Mance started when the comet was bright, it simbolyzes the Dayne’s shooting star, the “white sword”, the dawn, is Ghost.

·        A promised prince, born in smoke and saltThe horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men” is the answer to Where is my sister, Jon actually has no sister, he is Brandon’s only child, Brandon, like Jon is a “direwolf” and their shield are the statues on the crypt.

This explains the wildlings’ tremendous interest in Jon and their absolute lack of interest in Dalla’s son.

“No, Jon might have said, Gerrick is descended from a younger brother of Raymun Redbeard. To the free folk that counted about as much as being descended from Raymun Redbeard’s horse. They know nothing, Ygritte. And worse, they will not learn.”

The names “Raymun Redbeard” and Jon also explain the name of the “horn of Winter” or “Horn of Joramun”:

·        JO, Jon is Edrick “Snowbeard” Stark “bastard name”

·        Mance RAyder is Brandon’s wildling name

·        MUN is for “Raymun Redbeard”, the “King beyond the wall”. The free falk doesn’t follow younger brothers, but they clearly follow sons.

As for Melisandre, the witch told him: “I am your only hope“, and Jon thought “a fool’s hope“. If there is something that Jon is not, is a fool, quite the opposite. Melisandre bases her magic on fire, sacrifices, and blood, so if she is his only hope, there is fire involved and it is clear that for Jon fire is a very huge NO, unless of course, he needs a little fire.

“I don’t like this weather. If it snows, we could be a fortnight getting back, and snow’s the best we can hope forEver seen an ice storm, my lord?” Prologue AGoT

This is the last thing Jon thinks before he goes to read the letter in the Shieldhall and while he is still with Tormund:

“Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it againWhat you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon’s breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady’s coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nestI made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … I want my bride back …”

Every time Jon closes and opens his fist, he changes from wolf to man, from Ghost to Jon. The gesture of flexing the fingers is the “fire that burns” that is Ghost (and Winterfell), when he closes his fist it’s him wielding the sword “ICE”, “Lord Snow“, the cold, cunning and calculating side.

Jon begins: “the night’s watch takes no part”: actually, when he says “the night’s watch” he’s thinking about the wildlings, Jon makes the announcement, excites them, leaves them screaming and sends them beer. The wildlings are out of his plan.

Tormund is unknowingly already part of the “new” NW, Jon gave him the mission to go rescue the wildlings trapped in Hardhome. I think the “new NW” is about that, helping people who are going through a “long night” as the Starks once helped the Manderleys. The north has plenty of room to help homeless people, and winter is the time to forget grudges and share “strengths” basically, all those abandoned and ruined places in the north. In the same way that Jon got caught in the NW one night while drunk, Jon caught the wildligns with beer and the promise of a good fight.

He closes the fist, wields the sword: what you propose is treason. The treason is rushing his own murder, which he knows is only a matter of time, but it has to be tonight because of “the weather” he has everything he needs.

·        Robb with snowflakes melting in his hair. This image of snow melting is a reference to “the sword in the darkness”, which in turn refers to “fire will dismay them“. Both references to the first part of the letter, the “magic sword”, the “Dornishman’s wife” and Jon’s burned right hand.

·        Kill the boy and let the man be born. this is Jon telling himself “kill the bastard”.

·        Bran and a tower wall: refer to the “watcher on the walls” meaning Brandon Stark crossing the Wall to see Jon. It also refers to the “Others” armor being “proof against most ordinary blades”, “Mance” clearly was interested about something inside Winterfell, and it wasn’t any of Ned’s children. In time, Jon’s being refusing to believe that Mance was Brandon because he saw his statue and Ned told that his brother died.

·        Rickon’s brathless laughter. Is the “fire that burns” that is, the mention of the song “The Dornishman’s wife” that Mance sang before speaking to him, the dornishman dies laughing and singing, which of course means, he doesn’t die because “dead men sing no songs“. It’s about the part were the letter demands the “bride”.

·        Sansa, brushing Lady’s coat and singing to herselfYou know nothing, Jon Snow. “Lady’s coat” is the “Stark grey”  “the light that brings the dawn” is about Mance (I shall wear no crown) singing because as a child, Jon asked him “not to tell“.

·        Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest. “The horn that wakes the sleeepers”, when something is as “tangled” as Jon, the only thing that can be done is to make it “fly” like a raven, that’s exactly what Brandon “the raven wings” Stark just did.

The answer to all his doubts is: “I made him a warm cloak” (the shield that guards) and it is in fact the excuse that Jon uses to announce that he’s going to kill the “bastard”, who is obviously him.

Jon says to the wildlings:

The Night’s Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms,” Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. “It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Boltonto avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughterThis creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words … but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.

Everything, absolutely everything, is the exact translation of what he thought while evaluating the letter content:

·        The Night’s Watch takes no part: by the time Jon finishes the announcement there are nothing but wildlings in the Shieldhall. So, his NW takes no part.

·        What you propose is treason: some semblance of quiet had returned. Ghost was calmer when Jon left the armory, and better yet, he noted that Borroq’s boar was not there.

·        It is not for us to oppose the bastard: The “true NW” is not going to get into this fight. Corresponds to Robb’s thought, which I said is “the sword in the darkness” and “fire”.Jon knows that Marsh and his group are planning to kill him. He also knows that since Marsh and the rest are stewards, but more than anything they are cowards, they are not going to face him with a sword in hand, but with “daggers in the dark” as criminals do. Melisandre also confirmed that she saw them in her fires planning to “kill the bastard”. What will “dismay” Marsh and the rest is the “fire”, the announce that Jon made and gave them the perfect excuse to kill him, the Lord Commander clearly lost his mind.

·        Avenge Stannis Baratheon: corresponds to the thought “Kill the Boy” and the “armor of the Others”. Jon have been “testing his Lightbringer”, meaning doing his own tests with the two bodies he brought from beyond the wall the night he found the giant and that’s what the “blood frozen” that Melisandre sees in her visions is all about. When Jon is attacked, his fingers are numb, that is, he is practically frozen, so the daggers makes him bleed, but they won’t go deep enough to kill him. Jon was exposed to the cold all day, and in his own room there is almost never a fire burning because Satin, unlike Tollet, is a lousy steward and hardly ever lights a fire.

·        His widow: corresponds to the thought of Bran and the tower, “proof against most ordinary Blades”. Jon waited for the guard to change to go make the announcement, that is, he waited for his men to be on guard. The “widow” is his sword, which continues the same line of reasoning as the letter, the “bride” is Jon’s statue, therefore the sword is the “widow”. Jon found out that it’s the “iron” that keeps the corpses from rising, and he knows perfectly well that his statue never had a sword because it was supposed to be of a woman, and women are not allowed to wield swords. Brandon allegedly died, but didn’t, Bran’s fall should have killed him, but didn’t, Jon can’t die, at least not in the way they’re planning to kill him. But just in case, he took precautions.

·        His daughter, corresponds to the thought of Rickon’s breathless laughter, “the fire that burns”. The fire burning in The Wall is Val. Jon told Stannis’s knights that if they wanted Val they had to stole her from the tower, and then proceeded to put all the wildlings in a closed place leaving the way open to the “valiant” knight fool enough to try. When he makes the announcement, he specifically notes that there are no Queen’s men in the Shieldhall. But the “brathless laughter” as I said before, corresponds to the Dornishman’s own laughter. The King’s daughter has half her face turned to stone, Jon has his whole body “turned to stone”, he’s literally frozen, he lost his “fire” the night that he lost the “extra grey” of his eyes, the night he became the “ice dragon”. The wildlings steal “daughters, what “Mance” is stealing is his “daughter” Jon. What Othor’s corpse was looking for was not Mormont, but Jon, he came looking for JonIn Bael’s song the NW goes in search of the lost maiden because she is the last Stark, Lord Brandon’s “daughter”, but the maiden had been in the crypt all the time, hiding with the dead. What awaken “the Others” is Jon, the “true” Stark, the “hostage” in Winterfell. The others are no goodtheir eyes are wrong, their eyes are blue as “the eyes of dead”, Cat (that had blue eyes) is the one that sent Jon to die. All this in time makes proves that what’s happening in the north is a “dance with ice dragons” the blue eyed dragons (Ned’s children), and the grey eyed dragons, Brandon and Jon.

·        The creature that “makes cloacks from the skins of women” corresponds to the thought of Sansa (actually Ygritte) that told Jon who he was, and that’s the “creature” that Jon want’s, his father, the wolf, the raven, the crow.

·        I mean to make him answer for those words corresponds to Arya’s thought with her head tangled as a bird’s nest. Jon wants Brandon to forswear his vow of “not to tell”.

So, Jon knows that his hope is the “magic” of the crypt, because he is a Stark of Winterfell and therefore he can’t die the way they are planning to kill him, but since he is not a fool, he also takes precautions just in case that if the “trick” fails, he can get out alive. Just as any wood wizard would do.

His “fool’s hope”, is Melisandre, the witch is not stupid and knows that the only way to leave the north in one piece is Jon, so, likely she will make the NW and the wildlings believe that she is the one that brings back Jon, when the truth is, that Jon won’t be dead at all, but just “hiding with the dead”, his Ghost, as befits Lord Brandon’s “maiden daughter”.

The last thing Jon says before he “dies” is: “Ghost” and “stick them with the pointy end”.

“First lesson,” Jon said. “Stick them with the pointy end.”

First, he gets inside Ghost again and then he tells him exactly what to doneither Ghost nor Jon were ever used as weapons, not really. Ghost, ICE and Jon together are the sword “hanging on the wall”. In that moment, when they stab him, Jon’s “watch” ended, and Jon, Ghost, and the “implacable cold” are no longer part of the “Night’s Watch”, the NW is done, the Wall “falls”, and Edrick is born, they can now take part:

“Jewels glittered in its hilt, and the moonlight ran down the shining steelIt was a splendid weapon, castle-forged, and new-made from the look of it. Will doubted it had ever been swung in anger” Prologue – AGoT

Once Jon “takes part” and choose to be Edrick, son of Brandon, instead of Ned’s bastard the “watch” truly ended. Brandon and Jon’s story is the Night’s Watch oath. The “true” two hearts that beat as one.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death” Brandon’s watch begun when his son was stolen, and ended when the “Lord of Bones” died. The true “Lord of Bones” was Jon.

“I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children”. Ned killed Brandon’s wife, usurped his lands and stole his child. Jon swore not to have those things because he thought he wasn’t worthy

“I shall wear no crowns and win no glory”. Brandon is the “false king” that the letter talks about, and told Jon the truth but without telling him and using someone else’s name. Jon is “the king” since he has a King’s name “Edrick”.

I shall live and die at my post.” Brandon “died” when Jon’s watch started, and Jon died when Edrick was born.

I am the sword in the darkness”. The hidden father, the ghost from the crypt that Jon saw as a child dressed all in black. Jon is the Stark “sword”, meaning the heir in the “darkness”, he knew nothing.

I am the watcher on the walls”. The one that “watched” Jon disguised as a “black brother”, and watched him again the night that Benjen “stole” him. In time Jon was dressed in black when they met again and watched as Brandon’s watch ended.

“I am the fire that burns against the cold.” Brandon’s “death” as Rattleshirt and the moment Jon found his “true eyes”, the cold grey eyes of a Stark.

The light that brings the dawn”: Brandon is the one that tells the truth to Jon, and the “dawn” (Qhoryn) is the one that leads Jon to his father.

“The horn that wakes the sleepers”: the wolf´s three blasts: ranger, wildling, “the other” father and “the trueborn”

“The shield that guards the realms of men“: the grey wolf running in the snow, the “raider” that runs to save his son, his son that’s hidden by the “Snow”.

I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come”

Archived