Pink letter, Melisandre and Clydas

Bolton Snow

On 1/26/2021 at 11:52 AM, Bolton Snow said:

So I've just finished a complete reread of the whole series. The pink letter is something that has always bothered me. The whole thing is so confusing and there are massive discussions online about who may have written it, and I feel like there is just so much speculation and vagueness that we simply won't know until Winds.

One thing that really stuck out to me this time though is Clydas. When he brings the letter, he is visibly trembling and has gone white as a sheet. Now why would Clydas react so emotionally to this? The letter proclaims Stannis' death, and makes a lot of threats against Jon, Selyse, Shireen etc. But why would he have such a strong reaction? The Watch has faced much worse, on multiple occasions. 

Now in Melisandre's one chapter, she mentions that she has powders up her sleeve. One for lust, one for truth, one that can kill a man outright, and one for FEAR. I feel like she is behind this. She told Jon to look to the skies, and along comes a raven that compels him to march south. Maybe the whole letter is a glamour, and she forced Clydas to forge it, by instilling fear into him using her powder?

I don't know if this has been discussed before but it was just something I noticed. What do you think?

Clydas was trembling because his Lord Commander's treachery has been revealed.  He was bringing bad news to an erratic person.  Of course he would be nervous, given what Jon had recently done to Janos Slynt.  The pink letter was going to create trouble for the Watch.  

Ramsay or someone else who knew about the secret operation to get Arya wrote it.  Jon will come back as a wight and follow through with his last idea to attack Ramsay.  

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego Targaryen said:

Clydas was trembling because his Lord Commander's treachery has been revealed.  He was bringing bad news to an erratic person.  Of course he would be nervous, given what Jon had recently done to Janos Slynt.  The pink letter was going to create trouble for the Watch.  

Ramsay or someone else who knew about the secret operation to get Arya wrote it.  Jon will come back as a wight and follow through with his last idea to attack Ramsay.  

The letter was sealed. Jon cracks the wax, and tells Clydas he was right to be afraid ie offering more information than what Clydas already knew.

Archived