How did House Targaryen recover Blackfyre from Dorne?

big vandal

My apologies if this question has been answered already, but there seems to be a break in the plot line about the sword Blackfyre. I tried searching for this on the Wiki of Ice & Fire, but couldn't find the relevant info.

In the World of Ice & Fire, Daeron I died with Blackfyre in his hand while battling in Dorne surrounded by a dozen enemies. His crown (inherited from Aegon I) was lost. So too presumably was his sword Blackfyre. The victorious Dornishmen would not have likely returned it, as it would forever represent a potent symbol that Dorne had defeated and killed a Targaryen King. Dorne also knew exactly what they had with such a sword. Yet two kings later, Aegon IV had Blackfyre back. How was the sword returned to the Targaryens? Did the Prince of Dorne return it to Baelor I when they made peace? No where is this information ever stated.

It is clear that the body of Daeron I was returned (see reference to Weeping Town in the Stormlands) but as his crown was lost, his sword would have likely been taken too. How was Blackfyre returned to the Targaryens? Has George made any reference to this?

Archived