Things you missed on your first read

Ser Warpechowski

who is Alleras and Sarella?

Alleras the Sphinx is an acolyte at the Citadel in Oldtown in the AFfC prologue. He has a Summer Islander mother and a Dornish father, is wealthy, and very skilled with a bow. Sarella is Oberyn Martell's fourth daugher (by a Summer Islander trading ship's captain according to the appendix) who is said by Doran to be off "playing a game" in Oldtown. Each of Oberyn's daughters are experts with a chosen weapon. And if's that not enough, Alleras is Sarella spelled backwards.

• 4 months later...

I haven't re-read yet, but I can't believe how many things are on the board that I missed.

R + L = J, although I'm not convinced this is written in stone

Jacen being the alchemist, I'd never heard that until I read that here, but Pate being back in the final chapter I was struggling to figure out.

Bolton killing Robb, totally missed it.

Renly and Loras. Totally missed and and now I can't believe it cause I've read on the boards about all of the examples.

I somehow missed that Cersei had replaced the high septon so I didn't realized the guy that threw her in jail was the one she appointed.

That Randel Tarley is some bad-ass leader.

I did think of Benjen as Coldhands right away because it seems obvious that he's not dead.

But the biggest of all which I still don't get is that the Wights and the Others are not one and the same. I thought they were. So who are the others than?

Alleras is Sarella . I just caught that for the first time.

I never caught that Yoren was in the inn when Tyrion got captured by Cat.

Took me a second read to begin to think that Loras and Renly were a couple. The first time I read it I just thought that Loras was an amazing friend by taking Renly to a special place to bury him that only he knew.

Wow, it's been a while, but here are a few I missed that I don't think have been mentioned already. First go-roud in Book 1 I missed that:

1. Rhaenys' kitten was still alive and well in the Red Keep.

2. Mya Stone was Robert's natural daughter.

3. Most of the stuff involving Yoren (e.g. that he was the same black brother who was at the Inn when Cat abducted Tyrion, told Ned about the abduction and Benjen's disappearance, and is part of the cliffhanger with Arya. That just didn't register until a re-read)

Oba, What do you mean, Mya was Robert's "natural" daughter?

Bolton killing Robb, totally missed it.

Ok, I still don't see that. Dark armor, cape the color of skin marks him as one of Bolton's men but if that was really suppose to be Bolton, no one would have heard the guy through all the chaos. Lord of the Dreadfort is known for speaking scarcely above a whisper. And it was Cat's POV, she was eating right next to the guy and if it was Lord Bolton himself holding the sword, I think she would have burned that image in her mind.

"Natural" son or daughter means one born out of wedlock, a bastard child.

Thank you Lady Blackfish, that's what I thought they meant, just wanted to be sure. :thumbsup:

I missed R+L=J, but I was suspicious, just couldn't quite piece something together.

I haven't read AFFC yet, but Can anyone remember or tell me where The Knight of the Laughing Tree story is-exactly?

Saw the whole Renly + Loras thing.

Missed a lot of the House of the Undying.

I've yet to do a reread, but at first I always figured that by the end of the series, I'll have it all figured out, which I believe is wrong now. GRRM just has too much in there to "get it all", first time through. :cheers:

Not at all, I cheated :P Just hanging around this board makes you ASOIAFsmarter, people know way too much about these books.

Cheater! Yeah, that's cool, I'm going to check that out tonight. Well, you're still very helpful, and I appreciate it.

I saw somewhere a while back about when Jon got drunk at the party and went outside(GOT), and started talking with Tyrion. Anyways, Tyrion somersaulted off the wall like an acrobat, then later, he his dwarfism evidently bothered him, aches & pains. Don't remember all the details. There was a thread on it, or spoken of in one awhile back anyhow. To me, it's like the only blooper I've seen with GRRM, ya know?

Totally missed that Joffrey's wine was poisoned. Come to think of it, I'm still missing it :)

Seriously, if you dont read Joffrey's final words in the context that he thought Tyrion's wine was poisoned but was wrong, you are missing 99% of the humor and irony there. Start with his words to Margery, "My uncle hasn't eaten his pigeon pie..."

Actually Pycelle probably killed Joffrey. He ran for his chamber potions instead of performing an emergency tracheotomy. :)

Missed almost everything myself. Shame on me.

But

Actually Pycelle probably killed Joffrey. He ran for his chamber potions instead of performing an emergency tracheotomy.

Thought it eas pretty clear the queen of thorns did the poisoning. Iirc the tear of Lhys(spelling?) was in Sansas hair net and she was the one straightening it.

Anyway what´s the importance of Arya being left-handed? What did I miss there?

Totally missed that Joffrey's wine was poisoned. Come to think of it, I'm still missing it :)

Seriously, if you dont read Joffrey's final words in the context that he thought Tyrion's wine was poisoned but was wrong, you are missing 99% of the humor and irony there. Start with his words to Margery, "My uncle hasn't eaten his pigeon pie..."

Actually Pycelle probably killed Joffrey. He ran for his chamber potions instead of performing an emergency tracheotomy. :)

Yeah, There is something there that I'm not getting. Is it the pearl off the hairnet? Is it poisoned wine? Which one?

Anyway what´s the importance of Arya being left-handed? What did I miss there?

Just that her being left-handed may be one reason that she wasn't any good at writing or sewing or anything else that Septa Mordane tried to teach her because the Septa was the type of person who would have made her do it the "right" way.

Yeah, There is something there that I'm not getting. Is it the pearl off the hairnet? Is it poisoned wine? Which one?

That's my theory, yes. That there was a pearl on Sansa's hairnet that was actually a poison tablet. When Olenna comes to adjust it for her she removes it and somehow slips it into Joffrey's wine.

However, it's only a theory, but I felt pretty confident about it later. I think Sansa even remarks on the missing jewel afterwards.

Here's one I think everyone missed. That Ser Shadrich (The Mad Mouse who Brienne met when searching for Sansa, who was also searching for Sansa to get Vary's gold) is one of the new household knights that Littlefinger introduces to Alayne at the end of AFFC.

I never noticed that, i didnt pay to much attention to those guys, i just thought they were a couple of goons.

Archived