Casting Jaime and Cersei

ThanatosAngel

Personally, I think that when casting these two, both actors have to be able to have a certain chemistry as well as look very similar. I'm not sure how they typically handle the casting and auditioning process, but an idea struck me. What if they cast either Jaime or Cersei first, and then in order to find the perfect match, have the other twin audition by performing scenes with the already-cast Jaime or Cersei?

I would think Cersei would be the more important casting decision of the two (and I have a lot more choices in my head for her than Jaime), so let's say they cast her first. Whoever is playing Cersei could then do a couple of scenes with actors who are in the running to play Jaime. The best Jaime in those scenes gets the job. That way we can go into the show having a great pairing of the two without having two separate actors just jumbled together.

Anyone else agree with this?

I would say that as certain actors get locked down for certain parts, the possibilities for other parts get shaved, and cercei/jaime certainly fits that connection, but they aren't all.

A few others:
Related:
Eddard/Benjen/jon/arya/Lyanna
Robert/Renly/Stannis/Gendry/MyaStone
Catelyn/Sansa/Robb/Bran/Tommen/Lysa/Edmure/Blackfish/Hoster
Tywin/Kevin
Cercei/Jaime
Vis/Dany
Relationships:
Jon/Robb/Theon/Joffrey (Jon should be thinner than and of age with Robb, both clearly younger than Theon and older but shorter than Joffrey)
Bran/Tommen (Should be of age)
Joffrey/Sansa (Joffrey should look of age with Sansa)

[quote name='Smoldering Hound' post='1636682' date='Jan 3 2009, 05.29']I would say that as certain actors get locked down for certain parts, the possibilities for other parts get shaved, and cercei/jaime certainly fits that connection, but they aren't all.

A few others:
Related:
Eddard/Benjen/jon/arya/Lyanna
Robert/Renly/Stannis/Gendry/MyaStone
Catelyn/Sansa/Robb/Bran/Tommen/Lysa/Edmure/Blackfish/Hoster
Tywin/Kevin
Cercei/Jaime
Vis/Dany
Relationships:
Jon/Robb/Theon/Joffrey (Jon should be thinner than and of age with Robb, both clearly younger than Theon and older but shorter than Joffrey)
Bran/Tommen (Should be of age)
Joffrey/Sansa (Joffrey should look of age with Sansa)[/quote]

There're also age relationships within families, i.e.:

Jon/Robb > Sansa > Arya > Bran
Cercei/Jaime > Tyrion
Joffrey > Myrcella > Tommen

Some of these seem potentially problematic, eg. Jodelle Ferland (currently top choice for Arya in the polls) looks older & more developed than a couple of good Sansa possibilities, and Peter Dinklage is older than a lot of good candidates for Jaime and Cersei.

[quote name='ThanatosAngel' post='1636577' date='Jan 3 2009, 06.21']Personally, I think that when casting these two, both actors have to be able to have a certain chemistry as well as look very similar. I'm not sure how they typically handle the casting and auditioning process, but an idea struck me. What if they cast either Jaime or Cersei first, and then in order to find the perfect match, have the other twin audition by performing scenes with the already-cast Jaime or Cersei?[/quote]
One of the actors doesn't necessarily even need to be cast for this to happen. All the casting people have to do is have the shortlisted actors for each role come in and do screentests with each other. Then, they can pick the two actors who have both the right amount of skill and the necessary kind of chemistry. It's a common practice among casting producers so there's no reason to believe that this won't happen with Jaime and Cersei, or any of the other related sets of characters.

[quote name='Fate's Bitch' post='1637503' date='Jan 4 2009, 13.17']One of the actors doesn't necessarily even need to be cast for this to happen. All the casting people have to do is have the shortlisted actors for each role come in and do screentests with each other. Then, they can pick the two actors who have both the right amount of skill and the necessary kind of chemistry. It's a common practice among casting producers so there's no reason to believe that this won't happen with Jaime and Cersei, or any of the other related sets of characters.[/quote]

Yeah that's another possibility I wondered about. It's likely that they would do this.

Archived