Question about Dalla's parentage

gulogulo

Hey good people. Question that's been nagging at me as I get close to the end of AFFC:

On pg. 746 (in the paperpack, anyway), Sam is talking to Gilly about naming Dalla/Mance Rayder's baby, and Sam/narrator says "The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all."

Huh? Dalla was one of Craster's daughter/wives? And if so, how did that slip by me? Wouldn't Gilly have known her then?

There's probably an easy explanation for this that I'm missing.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

You were probably just confused, since Sam mentioned both Mance Rayder's son AND Gilly's son about naming them. Dalla and Gilly are no way related to each other, at least in my opinion. If Dalla is Craster's daughter, he wouldn't have let her go that easily even if Mance stole her. Pretty much Craster keeps all of his daughters and wives by his side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I second that. What Sam said were kind words from a friend to help her accept the child as her own while acknowledging his true parentage. If you had a friend who had a new born baby and then died, and you took the baby to raise as your own, you would call your parents his grandparents and yourself his mom/dad, but you would also his biological family by these titles too. That's whats happened here, Dalla wasn't Craster's daughter.

Archived