Question about the Direwolves

Dwarfsbane

In the final 'Jamie' chapter in AFFC, Jamie is talking to ser Dermot of the Rainwood who says that his company was overrun by wolves while they were searching the Riverlands for the Blackfish.

Jamie asks himself the same question as I have: Could this pack of wolves be led by Arya's wolf, Nymeria? I am trying to puzzle out other times when Bran has changed skins with Summer and the wolves they encounter. Is it possible that the wolves are an active part of the war due to their bonds with the Stark children?

My short answer opinion is yes I think (and have thought for a while) that the big wolf pack is led by Nymeria.

I don't think they are purposely taking part in the war more just that the wolves are causing their trouble and stating their claim to their land and doing their own thing. That said I was hoping that Nymeria was going to turn up with her pack and help out Arya as I don't think even after all this time Nymeria would hurt Arya or be on the opposite side of a fight.

I had a couple more points but having just finished FFC and moved directly on to DWD and I actually can't remember which book the part I want to refer to is so will leave it there for now.

Im not sure what book it is, but I recall a scene when Arya is escaping Harrenhall, Roose Bolton sends men after her. Later on in the same chapter Arya dreams that she is the wolf again and she attacks and kills a band of armored men. Did anyone else pick up on this? Because I think even Arya mentions that she would likely be caught back, but nobody came after her. I think its safe to say that Nymeria does take an active role in protecting Arya (to the extent that she can)

• 2 weeks later...

another question...

longshot here, but is there a chance grey wind is still alive? not sewn to the body of Robb? ser raynald had taken the ax after giving up his sword to cut the net that held the wolf. they could have used a regular wolf's head.

another question...

longshot here, but is there a chance grey wind is still alive? not sewn to the body of Robb? ser raynald had taken the ax after giving up his sword to cut the net that held the wolf. they could have used a regular wolf's head.

Very unlikely. Both Summer and

Ghost "talk" about their two dead siblings when Bran and Jon are having their wolf dreams.

You are right on about Nymeria. I don't wanna give away too much (this is a ADWD reference so read at your own risk) but...

[spoilers] I got too anxious w/ ADWD sitting on the table staring at me so I've read a few chapters and there is an opening sequence where Jon is running along the wall as Ghost. During this time Ghost/Jon recollect that his brother w/ the scent of summer is beyond the wall and his wild black brother and his sister are in a warmer climate and still alive. But he can't sense his other brother Greywind/Robb. He also adds that his sister is leading a humongous pack of wolves in the south who are just devouring humans on an epic scale. [spoilers/]

I have just finished reading A Feast for Crows, and there is one element of the corresponding fates of the direwolves and their owners that has eluded me through the series. Grey Wind died at the Red Wedding with Robb, Nymeria has run wild just as Arya seems to, Shaggydog has become vicious and feral as a reflection of Rickon's rage, etc., but Sansa did not die with Lady. Are there theories about any significance of the death of Lady and any corresponding fate of Sansa? (I sincerely hope GRRM does not intend to kill Sansa's character--surely he has visited enough gloom despair and agony on the Stark family).

I have just finished reading A Feast for Crows, and there is one element of the corresponding fates of the direwolves and their owners that has eluded me through the series. Grey Wind died at the Red Wedding with Robb, Nymeria has run wild just as Arya seems to, Shaggydog has become vicious and feral as a reflection of Rickon's rage, etc., but Sansa did not die with Lady. Are there theories about any significance of the death of Lady and any corresponding fate of Sansa? (I sincerely hope GRRM does not intend to kill Sansa's character--surely he has visited enough gloom despair and agony on the Stark family).

I have always thought that Lady's fate was more symbolic of Sansa disconnection to her own family than a sign of her eventual death. She was so taken with the Lannisters and the courtly life and seemed to show little love for her own family. (Not that she didn't love her family, but being a Stark in Winterfell wasn't high on her list of desires.)

I have always thought that Lady's fate was more symbolic of Sansa disconnection to her own family than a sign of her eventual death. She was so taken with the Lannisters and the courtly life and seemed to show little love for her own family. (Not that she didn't love her family, but being a Stark in Winterfell wasn't high on her list of desires.)

That makes sense, Tammy! That's a theory I hadn't thought of at all. Thank you!!

Archived