The Long Way Around to Oldtown

Son of Thunder

Because there's the minor issue of what passes for a medieval world war going on everywhere in Westeros except on the Wall, and there are hordes of broken men, bandits, and soldiers roaming the riverlands who would probably rob an old man, a fat craven, and a girl.

I was wondering about this too... might they have wanted to steer clear of the Iron Islands?

Looking at the map, I don't see a port at the west end of the wall, so if they went by ship, it would have to be from the east coast. So avoiding the Ironborn wouldn't be a consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Because there's the minor issue of what passes for a medieval world war going on everywhere in Westeros except on the Wall, and there are hordes of broken men, bandits, and soldiers roaming the riverlands who would probably rob an old man, a fat craven, and a girl.

:agree: Do you *really* think they'd have a chance of making it all the way to Oldtown travelling by horse or (more likely) wagon? Going by sea is risky, but far less risky than going by the King's Road.

Surely travelling the hundreds of miles through murderous hordes and obliterated armies is safer than attempting a long sailing trip.

taking a boat is far faster than walking or riding, even with detours, in you go by road everyday you lost most of the day in sleeping, eating, and general resting, in a ship with a bit of good wind you are always moving. not to mention they have a cabin for Aemon, in the road he would have to sleep out in the open, I doubt he would have made it out of the north still alive

I think the point Son of Thunder is trying to make (which is what eyeheartsansa is talking about) is that going down the east coast of Westeros and then south around Dorne to get to Oldtown seems like a really really long way to go, when they could just leave from the Shadow Tower (there appears to be a river running from the Bay of Ice to the S.T.) and head down the west coast. I also assumed they were trying to avoid the Iron Islands, as they'd no doubt be aware that the ironborn are on the warpath. Possible spoiler:

Or maybe it helps along the (possible) death of Maester Aemon (he hasn't died yet where I am in the book, but I assume it's a foregone conclusion).

Any other ideas as to why they'd go east coast instead of west coast?

I've never heard a port mentioned at the Shadow Tower, so there probably wouldn't be any boats. Maybe?

Don't think there's a port there; Shadow Tower is somewhat inland. In any case, there isn't really much benefit to having a port there, as the only ports that would be closer are Oldtown and Lannisport. Neither produces enough in the way of specialty goods to justify maintaining two ports on the Wall.

Archived