Defending the Wall

mewcat

I'm in the middle of Jon 8, where the black brothers are defending the wall against all the wildings, Mance, mammoths, etc., etc. Did I miss something?? WHY IS THE WALL BEING ATTACKED??? I vaguely remember something about the Others bothering the wildings, but I don't get the whole premise as to why the attackers want to DESTROY the wall, and bring it down? Can anyone enlighten me?

I'm in the middle of Jon 8, where the black brothers are defending the wall against all the wildings, Mance, mammoths, etc., etc. Did I miss something?? WHY IS THE WALL BEING ATTACKED??? I vaguely remember something about the Others bothering the wildings, but I don't get the whole premise as to why the attackers want to DESTROY the wall, and bring it down? Can anyone enlighten me?

Unless I completely read their intentions wrong, they don't necessarily want to destroy the wall; they want to get to the other side. But the only way to get to the other side is by attacking the NW and part of the wall so that they are able to get through. But as far as destroying the wall, they'll do it if they have to to get to the other side, but it's not a top priority for them.

Okay, I'm just trying to get my bearings...didn't they

climb over the wall a while back. I remember Jon watching them try and some fell, then I thought they went to the south side of the wall and traveled around, and then when Jon escaped them (AT THE SAME PLACE WHERE BRAN AND CO. WERE, and I'm sure they were south of the wall there) and galloped back, saw the Moletown disaster (isn't that south of the wall) and then Jon came back to the wall to help defend it?

I just can't make sense of why they are doing what they're doing.

Okay, I'm just trying to get my bearings...didn't they climb over the wall a while back. I remember Jon watching them try and some fell, then I thought they went to the south side of the wall and traveled around, and then when Jon escaped them (AT THE SAME PLACE WHERE BRAN AND CO. WERE, and I'm sure they were south of the wall there) and galloped back, saw the Moletown disaster (isn't that south of the wall) and then Jon came back to the wall to help defend it? I just can't make sense of why they are doing what they're doing.

Jon will soon have a conversation with Mance that should help to answer your questions.

Jon will soon have a conversation with Mance that should help to answer your questions.

Okay, thanks. I was sure I missed something. And, my attempt to hide spoiler info didn't work so I am going to test it here. Think I forgot a slash...

this should be hidden

Remember that they have women, children, older folks, animals, and all of their possessions with them. So a few may be able to make it over, but the vast majority need another way to get to the other side.

Remember that they have women, children, older folks, animals, and all of their possessions with them. So a few may be able to make it over, but the vast majority need another way to get to the other side.

So, at the time of these battles, are the ones that got thru south of the wall, with most others on the northside?? Is the wall being attacked from both sides?

So, at the time of these battles, are the ones that got thru south of the wall, with most others on the northside?? Is the wall being attacked from both sides?

I don't want to spoil anything, and my copy of ASOS is on a moving truck right now so I can't look up where you are, but it should be obvious soon if it isn't already.

But the gate should come up as a major point of defense, and yes, there are a ton of them on the other (north) side of it.

Archived