POV descriptions

Moester

Is there a reason why GRRM uses descriptions like The Prophet/The Drowned Man, The Captain of Guards, The Soiled Knight, The Queenmaker etc. instead of using the character's names (Aeron, Areo, Arys, Arianne*) to introduce the POVs? He never did it before in the previous books so I'm wondering why he did it for AFFC.

*GRRM seems to have taken a liking for names starting with A in this book!

I agree, it's difficult to get used to... especially when they change as well (The Prophet to The Drowned Man, and The Iron Captain to The Reaver). It is probably just a small detail, but I do think it makes it harder to invest in these characters... It's almost like GRRM is saying "This character isn't important enough to be referred to by name".

• 5 weeks later...

I think it's because these new players to the game are put out there, but we don't really know how and where they fit into the story when first meeting them. The next time we see them, their status has changed in the story.

The Prophet is just some crazy holy man, the Drowned Man is the head of a religion, a man who returns life from death. The people of the Iron Islands respect him and seem willing to follow him.

The Iron Captain is some brother we know little about. We don't know what drives him or how he treats people. When we see him as the Reaver, he's a killing machine. Fearless and lusting for battle, this is what makes him a powerful character.

The same goes for Sansa and Aarya.They are both taking on new identities and lives, evolving along with their surroundings, adapting to survive.

It's about the characters roles and progression throughout the story.

Archived