Catching cats

red fork

I think I've found one. Perhaps of no great significance in the grand scheme of things - but a nice touch nontheless.

In Arya's chapter where she overhears Varys and Illyrio, it begins:

"The one-eared black tom arched his back and hissed at her." It continues: "...all but this one, this one-eared devil of a tomcat. 'That's the real king of the castle right there,' one of the gold cloaks had told her, 'Older than sin and twice as mean...'"

Arya tracks the cat, catches it, then it bolts when she's discovered by Myrcella and Tommen. The cat is mentioned no more. Why would it be? Except I think it is.

Near 300 pages later, Varys is talking to Ned in the black cells, who is pleading for his daughters' safety: "Rhaenys was a child too. Prince Rhaegar's daughter. A precious little thing, younger than your girls. She had a small black kitten called Balerion, did you know? I always wondered what happened to him."

It's picking up on little touches like this that makes me enjoy this series so much. And also drives me mad because who knows how much else I've missed! Gonna have to keep re-reading the damn things to the end of time :)

Archived