Game of Thrones Board Game

This is a great game. I finally got a chance to pay it. Its like Diplomacy, but the order tokens you turn over make it much easier to handle than Dip's method of writing out your moves. The three influence tracks are an awesome feature in the game. its great being able to sit on the Iron Throne... just don't lose it!! And the Wildling attacks are pretty cool too. An all-around great game.

• 3 weeks later...

What’s new in 2nd edition?

I haven't played the first, but from what I can tell it includes the Martells, which the first didn't unless you got the Clash of Kings expansion. The special order tokens from that expansion are here also. a nd the wildling attacks have their unique event cards. Also artwork and components are updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning: If you play with 4 players, try nto play as the Baratheons. They definitly have the advantage in the 4 player version. If you are not the Baratheons, make sure you attack them! Especially if you are the Lannisters, you will need to keep them in check.

If you play as the Greyjoys, my advice is to strike south. Get your ships to Highgarden as quickly as possible.

• 2 months later...

I've never played the original but I'm a huge fan of the artwork in the newest edition. I've had this since Christmas and have just adored it. I found that friends that are familiar with ASOIAF along with those who are not seem to enjoy it equally. I tend to play as the Lannisters and always go straight for the Baratheons.

Played it once and definitely will play again.

I actually managed to win - Stark player was close to getting his 7th castle (one of the victory conditions) and, as a Greyjoy, I was talked by the Lannister and Tyrell players to betraying my ally and taking Winterfell (they withdrew their forces from my southern borders so I could move north). If only had they noticed I had six other castles already...

Love the game, only 'problem' is that me and my friends spend ages playing it. One game will take us up to 6 hours, I think we overthink our moves. We also play out till the last turn most of the times, constantly people keep backstabbing and overtaking eachother. Everyone wants to win too much I guess. ^^

Oh, and navies are friggin powerfull. Naval support and moving troops overseas makes for some interesting gamechanges. Took us two games to figure out how powerfull fleets really are (we didn't get all the rules straight away too I guess).

You guys prefer playing with or without the Tides of battle cards?

Archived