Speculation about the Red Priestess and her goals... [SPOILERS]

Maybe this is obvious, but I noticed that Melisandre repeatedly talked about how the Lord of Light was in a constant battle with darkness. The main "dark" force in the novels are The Others and their armies. Rhollor and his followers believe the flame is the most sacred force. Could Melisandre be more than an antagonist, and actually be shaping Stannis so that he can effectively fight The Others? It seems to make sense to me, but I want to see what you guys think.

Well, Melisandre seems to be thinking that Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn, the hero born amidst smoke and salt who will use Lightbringer as he fights the Others in the Long Night.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that Stannis is the Azor Ahai, but I think Melisandre is sincere in her devotion. Maestor Aemon basically pointed this out when he asked Sam to describe the sword and asked if it gave off any heat. Melisandre is trying to make Stannis this messianic figure, but I don't think he truly fulfills the prophecy.

I theorize that Melisandre will find someone else that better fits the prophesy. For awhile I was thinking it was Jon. His sword was taken out of fire (it got reforged after it was caught in the tower fire) and he had to temper his strength by helping to kill the woman he loved. However after Maestor Aemon's comments I'm not so sure anymore.

*edited for clarity*

There are old powers awakening....

Thoros of Myr, and even Sam ("killing the wight with fire in the mouth) know of the fire kiss.

And it all has something to do with the Red Comet.

These are my random thoughts on the Red Priestess and the Lord of Light.

At first I thought she was evil, as seen through Davos POV, but she is a powerful woman, with knowledge we havent gotten yet.

Is anyone else worried what would happen if Gendry came across Stannis and his red queen?

The Others only attack when it's dark, so, if Stannis is really Azor Ahai, he will use the Lightbringer(the opposite of darkness) to kill the others.

I don't think that Stannis will win this war, but maybe he's an important soldier at this war against the Others.

• 4 weeks later...

It might serve to remember that religious zealots who think they have a direct line to God are CRAZY. In life and in literature. If she has a direct line to anything it's evil and it will be her undoing eventually.

When I read the name Lightbringer I thought of the meaning of Lucifer "Bringer of Light". If the name Lucifer has any parallel in the world of ASoIaF then I don't think that Rhllor is a good guy. To me its kind of like Stannis sold his soul to the devil.

Maybe this is obvious, but I noticed that Melisandre repeatedly talked about how the Lord of Light was in a constant battle with darkness. The main "dark" force in the novels are The Others and their armies. Rhollor and his followers believe the flame is the most sacred force. Could Melisandre be more than an antagonist, and actually be shaping Stannis so that he can effectively fight The Others? It seems to make sense to me, but I want to see what you guys think.

Mel constantly talks about the Great Other, who we are led to believe is part of or represents the Others/White Walkers, but this is not confirmed by GRRM nor text. So it is easy to assume Mel is the good guy and the Others are the bad guys, but why can both not be bad?

Mel burns men alive over small things just to give some better conditions, like favorable winds. Edric Storm is nearly killed because he is Robert's son, and nothing more. Just to hopefully bring Stannis some good luck. To me, Mel is a fanatic. Not necessarily evil, but still bad. She represents, to me, the corruptibility of power and desire. She has turned Stannis from his personal laws of justice to bring him closer to the Iron Throne.

When I read the name Lightbringer I thought of the meaning of Lucifer "Bringer of Light". If the name Lucifer has any parallel in the world of ASoIaF then I don't think that Rhllor is a good guy. To me its kind of like Stannis sold his soul to the devil.

For me, Dawn and the Sword of the Morning have always seemed to have a "Luciferian" connection.

Aemon clearly believed the sword should release heat, but that was his only problem with the sword. That hints that the Red Sword is a metal blade with not much apparently special besides heat and glowing. In Aemon's mind, which--as good as it is--cannot be 100% accurate about everything.

Archived