Faceless Man coin gone viral!

Is there any chance you'll be making a Targ one with a Dragon instead of stag, or only if you get around to making gold versions?

Edit: just saw the post above.

Hey Dead:

Good question! We've got a Baratheon "star" with a literal seven pointed star on reverse. Such that the image states the denomination. Same with the Aerys and Aegon stags... they have a stag on reverse as the graphic depiction of the denomination. But... we also have house sigils. So Torrhen's "stag" coin does not show a stag, but a wolf... yet the coin by virtue of its size and weight is still a stag. So if the stag is both the name of a denomination AND the sigil of House Baratheon, then it can be confusing to have a Targaryen coin with a (seemingly) Baratheon image on it! Likewise we learn that the main gold denomination is the "dragon", yet the dragon is also the sigil of House Targaryen. So the question revolves around whether it is appropriate to use the dragon as the house sigil on a Targaryen small-coin. I would say yes! Though in that case it would be appropriate to use the textual inscription to make the denomination clear. So for instance a small penny-sized copper for Aegon with a dragon on reverse and inscribed "ONE PENNY" would allay confusion and make perfect sense. Such a piece might require the making of only one die, since the obverse Aegon die would still be applicable.

But in the universe of hundreds of possible coins.... how does one choose which to make? Mostly I have been choosing based entirely upon whim and fancy. For instance the most recent issues for Balon Greyjoy was not based on him being exceptionally central to the story, but just because his sigil was the kraken... and I found that image entrancing and decided to pursue it.

There is another thread in OBJECTS OF ICE AND FIRE: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66827-game-of-thrones-coins/ wherein I get more detailed about the specifics of different coins. And in one of the posts I offered some options whereby someone might sponsor some particular coin being made, if it is thematically intriguing to them and passes muster canonically.

Be well! Tom Maringer

• 4 months later...

I just uploaded a couple videos shot in the mint! The 6th pressing Faceless Man coins are finally in process, scheduled for release Jan. 1, 2013. These will be struck on newly prepared dies. The obverse will be almost exactly the same as the old one... with just the addition of secret marks to denote die-#2. The reverse side has the entire inscription ring revised in an exotic looking font, such that the silent "h" of "morghulis" (which has been missing on the earlier types) has been added in.

2:05 Striking the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man on a 150 to knuckle press.

2:05 Punching blanks for the iron coin of the Faceless Man in pure metallurgical grade iron.

We'll be taking pre-orders for the new coin for shipping after Jan.1

I will accept older Faceless Man coins in exchange for the new one, with a $5 shipping and handling.

Have fun!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Request:

.... somebody who's very familiar with the early texts... I'm trying to find the original actual descriptions from the text concerning and describing the iron coin of the Faceless Man. I cannot find it! The POV careens and it's hard to follow a thread through. I recall some description at the time Arya receives the coin... or shortly thereafter. And I think there's another bit of detail in the scene where she presents it to the captain of the Braavosi ship. Are there more? Anybody have that kind of info close to hand? Is there a wiki page maybe?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated. I can only pay with Westerosi coin though....

Be well and have a fabulous Yuletide!

Tom

Hi Tom, I tried to send you a Thank You PM but your box is full.I received my coins today and am very happy with the quality and artistry put into them. I will be giving some away as gifts to my friends who love the series and Im sure they will be as happy as I am with them. Thanks again and I recommend these coins to everyone! :)

Thanks for the note! I hadn't noticed that the PM box was full and have now cleared it out. Glad that you are enjoying the coins! I'm still hammering away at the 6th pressing of the Faceless Man coin....put up a couple new pics on my FB page http://www.facebook.com/tom.maringer I feel like I finally have a grip on the finishing process. Iron is a whole different animal as compared to copper or silver. You can't just leave it as-struck or it WILL rust... But I'm really tickled with the look of these new ones... it's the appearance of age and handling that I was seeking.

I'm new to FB so forgive me if I don't know what all the buttons do. I've got a new guy helping me with social media and such.

In other news the well-known firm Atlanta Cutlery will be carrying the coins in their next catalog! We've put together a small set of four different coins with a printed bag for them. They're not on the website yet but I'll post a link once they are.

Also... currently talking to a couple other online and brick-and-mortal retailers... will let you know if those work out.

Have a fabulous Yule!

Tom

• 9 months later...

Seventh and eighth pressings now finished, along with a couple interesting variations on the eighth.... one in niobium and one double thickness. ThinkGeek has turned into a major retailer for us... they stock the Faceless Man as well as the new Golden Dragons. Have fun!

Tom

• 5 months later...

Ninth pressing Faceless Man coins in iron are now available on ebay, packaged with a cool quick-draw holder and neck-chain for those situations when you need it fast!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131134278940

The drilled brass Faceless Man are now shipping from the ninth pressing also. (8th pressings are all gone!)

Silver pieces have been struck, but have not been packaged... still working on the presentation.

Have fun!

Tom

Archived